BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody tried to use an ipod by connecting to the audio jack between the seats. If so are you able to use the car controller to sort music by album, artist etc or do you have to use the ipod itself. I tried to download from a flash card into the usb port. It worked except the patented material did not and the music was all jumbled

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
The 3.5mm jack in the armrest will only provide the audio output from the iPod to the AUX input on the radio. You need to use the iPod itself to scroll through songs, artists, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
I have a 16GB USB stick plugged into the USB port. It's about half full of mp3 files. It literally took about 18 hours for the car to parse all the music but now it reads and can be controlled from the radio. I don't think the radio will recognize *.wma files.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the responses. I think then that you have a choice- you can control certain things after downloading into the usb port, but you lose the patented material , and unless I just don't know how to do it, you can only control songs as they have been randomly downloaded, but cant play for example an album.
Or you can use the port between the seats, keep your ipod there, and have a more functional library but you cant control through the radio.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Thank you for the responses. I think then that you have a choice- you can control certain things after downloading into the usb port, but you lose the patented material , and unless I just don't know how to do it, you can only control songs as they have been randomly downloaded, but cant play for example an album.
Or you can use the port between the seats, keep your ipod there, and have a more functional library but you cant control through the radio.
I'm not sure what you are asking. I can play both playlists and by album or genre or artist all selected through the radio controls off the usb stick.

·
Ready to roll!
84 Posts
with iDrive

everything for me shows up on the nav screen, just as if I was scrolling on the ipod itself. :dunno:

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
everything for me shows up on the nav screen, just as if I was scrolling on the ipod itself. :dunno:
Yup! Same here :thumbup:

·
BMWCCA Member #405750
1,450 Posts
I only have the AUX jack however I have a small remote control hooked to the IPOD that forwards me through song selections in my playlist.

·
Dedicated Airman
271 Posts
Was testing out my 160GB ipod classic in the loaner and it takes forever to recognize it. Once it does recognize it, the only available option is Browse directory and even then its a maze of files to get to folders and titles with names such as "BVGD"(totally random letters) or whatnot. If I click on something like "BVGD" Def Leppards definitive collection plays. I gave up and just used AUX with an audio cable. I hope I can figure this out with my car when it gets here.

·
Registered
579 Posts
If you don't have the iPod option for your car, you won't be able to control the iPod through the steering wheel controls.

There are two ports in my armrest. One USB and I'm not sure what the other one is, but if you don't plug it in, you can't control the iPod through the steering wheel. The iPod cable supplied with the integration option connects to both.

·
Dedicated Airman
271 Posts
Ahhh perhaps it's because the loaner I'm driving did not have the "special" cable in it.

·
Officially Contaminated
3,052 Posts
Thats not correct, I shuffle through songs with the buttons on the steering wheel.
Yes because you have the ipod option in your cars. The OP was trying to do it through the AUX port....

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts
I have a 16GB USB stick plugged into the USB port. It's about half full of mp3 files. It literally took about 18 hours for the car to parse all the music but now it reads and can be controlled from the radio. I don't think the radio will recognize *.wma files.
18 hours? WTH!?!? What's the processor in these things, 286SX?

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
18 hours? WTH!?!? What's the processor in these things, 286SX?
Kid you not. I popped it in the slot on a Friday evening and the next afternoon it was still "loading".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.