BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
i was told 10w40 can slow oil consumption, i was wondering if it is ok to use it as opposed to 5w40
40 grade is a range. 12.5cst to 16.5cst at 100c. So your 10W40 might be thinner than some 5W40.
XXW is cold cranking simulation test and doesn’t have anything to do with thickness of oil at 100c.
What oil are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
40 grade is a range. 12.5cst to 16.5cst at 100c. So your 10W40 might be thinner than some 5W40.
XXW is cold cranking simulation test and doesn’t have anything to do with thickness of oil at 100c.
What oil are you using?

using 10w40 Mobil 1 high mileage, is there anything thicker that is 40 grade to help with consumption

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What oil are you using?

also should i stop using Mobil 1 10w40 full synthetic high mileage oil, will it damage the n62?

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
So that oil is good as it gets and won’t have any adverse effects on your engine. Usually those oils are made out of cheap base stocks and filled with additives that make gaskets basically swollen. But that particular M1 is good stuff. So you won’t see oxidation =sludge. However, you really won’t resolve issue. If you live in warm climate you can go Mobil1 15W50 racing oil. 25% thicker than that 10W40. You might take a hit in consumption though. But, it is N62, it is known oil leaker.

·
Officially a BMW Addict
1,267 Posts
I run 5w-40 in the N62. Any others to help stop oil consumption due to bad valve stems?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I run 5w-40 in the N62. Any others to help stop oil consumption due to bad valve stems?
you could try "Bar's Leaks OS-1 Seal Engine Oil Burning/Leak Repair" or "Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver" i heard that is good too, I used bars and it does slow it down a lot but it wont stop all the way. i started using the Mobil 1 10w40 though and it seemed to help more than the 5w40 i was running before. I'm just hooping it isn't to thick to where it would damage the lifters and that stuff

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
and using this thicker oil wont harm the n62? i mean we are talking about a more modern engine with Vanos and Valvetronic.
How does your valvetronic survives cold starts when oil is 20 times thicker? Engines can run thick oils, they cant run super thin oils.
Don’t use additives. They might create more issues. M1 10W40 has already additives that will seal some small leaks. But ultimately, if problem is neglected, nothing will work.

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,684 Posts
I'm just hooping it isn't to thick to where it would damage the lifters and that stuff
I believe the N62 is a DOHC engine, not sure it has "lifters".

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How does your valvetronic survives cold starts when oil is 20 times thicker? Engines can run thick oils, they cant run super thin oils.
Don’t use additives. They might create more issues. M1 10W40 has already additives that will seal some small leaks. But ultimately, if problem is neglected, nothing will work.

what temp can 15w50 Mobil1 be run at like lowest temp

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Mobil 1 makes a 5W50 oil for Mercedes & Porsche.......been running it I need my M6 for many months very happy
Ive run that in my 996tt for many years.

As I recall it was ford gt OE fill as well

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
what temp can 15w50 Mobil1 be run at like lowest temp
15W is tested at -20c. That is cold cranking simulation. That means temperature of oil is -20c not ambient temperature.
Now in 90’s most oils in Europe were 15W40. I used 15W40 in my E30 318 and E34 520i and started them regularly well below-20. But they didn’t have VANOS etc.
If you live in snow belt, use 10W40.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.