BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
40 grade is a range. 12.5cst to 16.5cst at 100c. So your 10W40 might be thinner than some 5W40.
XXW is cold cranking simulation test and doesn’t have anything to do with thickness of oil at 100c.
What oil are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
using 10w40 Mobil 1 high mileage, is there anything thicker that is 40 grade to help with consumption

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
40 grade is a range. 12.5cst to 16.5cst at 100c. So your 10W40 might be thinner than some 5W40.
XXW is cold cranking simulation test and doesn’t have anything to do with thickness of oil at 100c.
What oil are you using?

also should i stop using Mobil 1 10w40 full synthetic high mileage oil, will it damage the n62?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I run 5w-40 in the N62. Any others to help stop oil consumption due to bad valve stems?
you could try "Bar's Leaks OS-1 Seal Engine Oil Burning/Leak Repair" or "Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver" i heard that is good too, I used bars and it does slow it down a lot but it wont stop all the way. i started using the Mobil 1 10w40 though and it seemed to help more than the 5w40 i was running before. I'm just hooping it isn't to thick to where it would damage the lifters and that stuff

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How does your valvetronic survives cold starts when oil is 20 times thicker? Engines can run thick oils, they cant run super thin oils.
Don’t use additives. They might create more issues. M1 10W40 has already additives that will seal some small leaks. But ultimately, if problem is neglected, nothing will work.

what temp can 15w50 Mobil1 be run at like lowest temp

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
15W is tested at -20c. That is cold cranking simulation. That means temperature of oil is -20c not ambient temperature.
Now in 90’s most oils in Europe were 15W40. I used 15W40 in my E30 318 and E34 520i and started them regularly well below-20. But they didn’t have VANOS etc.
If you live in snow belt, use 10W40.

I'm not running my 750i through the winter, so I just changed to 15w50 and for some reason it feels smoother and it has better pick up now. before id have the engine feel like it would lug itself around sometimes and now i don't have that

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
OHC engines use lifters between the rockers and valves to maintain proper lash during heat cycles, or as fulcrums for the same reason as on a Ford Triton; the ones on the N52 are small hydraulic pistons, #7 on the OEM parts diagram; N63 is #10 here as another example. BMW calls them “alignment elements.”

In this picture I took when I did my first 5.4 3v timing job a few years ago, you can see the lifter oil nipples clustered at each cylinder opposite the valve springs. The rockers/roller followers on that engine sit below the cams and are held in place solely by hydraulic pressure at the lifters. If the lifters bleed down, the cams can kick the rockers out of place.

Via the interwebs
my car ticks in drive with 10w and 15w only in drive though when i go to park and rev it, it sounds silky smooth is this a IVM symptom?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
There is no reason not to use Castrol Edge 0W40. If valve stems are bad probably will burn more as it is thinner at 100c than M1 10W40 HM.
If everything is ok, it is probably best choice.

my 750i seems to like 15w50 especially at high rpm the engine feels smother when going through rpm band but has the tick tick going on while foot on break at a stop light and this happened with 10w40 but going away afterwards if I let off break or put it into park also low idle like 400-500 rom someone told me the break booster is my issue as if I feel like I'm trying to press a concrete wall also. it is a strange tick i never get it in park at idle and when i rev it in park only when drive tik tik tik at 500 and sometimes 400 rpm and the car feels like it wants to sprint like the car torques up and in the back and squats like how runners do when they run the mile

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Probably mechanical issue and oils sometimes hide issue until it gets really bad.
Try 0W40. 15W50 is fairly thick oil. Not sure you are gaining anything except lowering a bit oil consumption.

5w50 vs 15w50 what is the difference, was thinking about running it because my manual says i can use 5w40

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
In N62 5W40 was go to LL01 oil when it was developed. Any engine can run any grade. There is no such thing as too thick (there is too thin).
15w50 today is usually oil made for specific use (track). It is however nothing special. That grade is easy to make, so not particularly sophisticated(unless talking Motul 15W50 300V).
5W50 is harder to made. Some cars require it (Mustang, Porsche 911). It is more sophisticated and usually made from better base stocks to prevent shear (5W50 will shear down to 5W40 MUCH faster than 5W40 to 5W30).
Considering your issues if you want to try go 15W50 unless you live in cold area. Than 5W50. I am saying that mainly bcs. you want to mitigate oil consumption and Mobil1 15W50 is super cheap.

ok so 15w50 shouldn't cause any issues with valvetronic or vanos, I'm just considering 5w50 because it seems more like a oil that would be similar to what this car takes but thicker when warm but if it shears faster than 15w50 then there isn't any point because 5w50 is expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.