BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a quote from a dealer to extend the service warranty to 100K miles for $1800. Gonna try to negotiate it in if I do get the car. It sounds like its worth it being that all he said I would have to do is replace tires...covers all including wiper blades...amazing...

IS there a catch?

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I wouldn't buy the warranty when you buy the car. You can always but it later. If you bought it now, and something happened to the car, or you decided not to keep the car, it would be money down the drain.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree with Bill,
i took the warranty when i bought it and got the money refunded after 2 weeks.
i did so because when i called up the dealer he told me about all the ifs and buts
and sounded like i am better of without it.
and if i wished to purchase it later the amount would increase by at most $400 for the package and there are several autoguard companies even AAA which offer better rates

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
I agree with Bill,
i took the warranty when i bought it and got the money refunded after 2 weeks.
i did so because when i called up the dealer he told me about all the ifs and buts
and sounded like i am better of without it.
and if i wished to purchase it later the amount would increase by at most $400 for the package and there are several autoguard companies even AAA which offer better rates
I will attach both the AAA and BMW extended in PDF format.
Keep in mind that (at least in the case of AAA Autoguard) the price increases the longer you wait. If you wait until the initial warranty is almost up the price will close to double.

Also BMW offers two different packages. One extends the warranty and the other extends the maintenance (oil changes, etc.) Also if you read the policies you will note that the BMW (extended) warranty does no cover a lot of the electronic components, the Convertible top (a BIG problem if you have an E93) and several othere components that will be expensive to repair.

I purchased the AAA Autoguard and extended my warranty to 7 years 100,000 miles shortly after I purchased the car.

CA

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I apologize to sound ignorant but this warranty post caught my attention.

I'm a noob here and been reading up a lot on both the E46 and E90x as I've been contemplating on replacing both of the family Jeeps (Grand Cherokee and Commander) due to gas mileage issue. Both got the 4.7L V8 that only do 15-16mpg average :mad:

Here in my area, I've been looking at CPO 325 or 328 or even 330 xi's. Been only concentrating on the CPOs due to the 6/100 warranty.

Should I rather get a non-CPO and buy extended warranty elsewhere? Never had a BMW before. In my research, I found 1 dealer in GA that offers ext warranty that, if I'm not mistaken, is backed by BMWNA. Or even the AAA warranty mentioned above, looks like even a better deal. My only worry is how BMW would treat warranty work on non-CPO warranties as opposed to CPO warranties.

I've worked on my Jeeps myself except the ones that I can't fix myself, ie. tranny issues and blown rear axle bearings, but I change all the fluids myself, change suspension components, did some engine work like fixing leaking PS hose, replaced with CAI, and the extent was put is slightly hotter cams {that was a headache :rofl:} So I'm kinda familiar with doing some work on my car.

Thanks for the advice.

PS. Great site btw!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have GEICO insurance and they have something called mechanical breakdown. It is available to insurers of new cars. Basically it extends the warranty of the car to 100,000 miles but does not include routine maintenance. I have always gotten this on my cars. It is the same, if not better, than what you would get from a dealer. The downside is you have to pay for it from the beginning but at ~75/yr, it is totally worth it and much cheaper than anyplace else. It also gets me windshield replacement for $50 which works out great in Colorado since everyone cracks their windshield here at one time or another.

·
Registered
107 Posts
but if you file against your geico policy that is factored into your insurance rate? insurance is never a winner. they are not in the business to lose money

·
15,956 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wouldn't buy the warranty when you buy the car. You can always but it later. If you bought it now, and something happened to the car, or you decided not to keep the car, it would be money down the drain.
So true. I bought both the extended warranty and extended maintenance policies. My car was in an accident and I want to trade it. I will loose both policies when I sell the car. Next time I'll wait to add warranty coverage just before the factory warranty expires.

·
15,956 Posts
So true. I bought both the extended warranty and extended maintenance policies. My car was in an accident and I want to trade it. I will loose both policies when I sell the car. Next time I'll wait to add warranty coverage just before the factory warranty expires.
I would be curious as to how these numbers play out.
1. You loose the policies when you trade in the car.
2. If you wait the price can double.

Are these policies transferable?

I believe that AAA Autoguard will let you cancel and will give you a pro-rated refund. Of course I don't know what their idea of "pro-rated" is.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I would be curious as to how these numbers play out.
1. You loose the policies when you trade in the car.
2. If you wait the price can double.

Are these policies transferable?

I believe that AAA Autoguard will let you cancel and will give you a pro-rated refund. Of course I don't know what their idea of "pro-rated" is.
Is it really double if you wait? I remember when I had my M3, people were buying the extended warranties (BMW) 3-4 years in at at the same price as was offered when the car was new. Maybe something has changed? Either way, I wouldn't recommend buying that, or anything else they try to sell along with the new car.

·
15,956 Posts
Is it really double if you wait? I remember when I had my M3, people were buying the extended warranties (BMW) 3-4 years in at at the same price as was offered when the car was new. Maybe something has changed? Either way, I wouldn't recommend buying that, or anything else they try to sell along with the new car.
I am talking about the AAA Autoguard. Not sure about the BMW. I did not get the BMW warranty because I felt there were too many items that would be expensive to repair excluded,

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
For those of us with E93's I plan to see how it holds up. I may purchase an extended warranty when mine is close to ending the 4 year/50K mile.
These tops have been around for a while now and I think are well known but the extended warranty would be a nice ace in the hole for someone like me who keeps a BMW 12 years or longer.
So far my car has 13K and no issues related to anything that was the car's fault.

·
15,956 Posts
For those of us with E93's I plan to see how it holds up. I may purchase an extended warranty when mine is close to ending the 4 year/50K mile.
These tops have been around for a while now and I think are well known but the extended warranty would be a nice ace in the hole for someone like me who keeps a BMW 12 years or longer.
So far my car has 13K and no issues related to anything that was the car's fault.
Just be aware that the BMW warraty will not cover the top.

·
Registered
427 Posts
not compared to what's offered here - http://www.twinkidneygrill.com/Quote.html
Good to know since I am going to be purchasing an E92 soon. I bought the manufacturer's extended warranty on my current car right before the warranty expired and the only downside I can think of is having to pay cash instead of being able to add the cost into your auto loan. Obviously if you can afford this car you can pay cash for the extended warranty but I would have preferred to roll it in with my purchase.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I am talking about the AAA Autoguard. Not sure about the BMW. I did not get the BMW warranty because I felt there were too many items that would be expensive to repair excluded,
I see, I misunderstood. I've never bought the warranty either, but I tend to change cars every few years. It always sounded like a good thing to get as you get near the end of the factory warranty.

You say the warranty won't cover your top? That's crazy!

·
15,956 Posts
I see, I misunderstood. I've never bought the warranty either, but I tend to change cars every few years. It always sounded like a good thing to get as you get near the end of the factory warranty.

You say the warranty won't cover your top? That's crazy!
I posted both the AAA and the BMW. Read them yourself and come to your own conclusions.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts