BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Yesterday I locked my key in the trunk and I don't have spare... I called AAA and guy was not able to do anything, he called for help, another one spent additional 30 min and could not open the door either. They towed my car to dealer and surprise - they can't do it as well... I ended with order for new master key and using our public transportation for next 4 days (thanks God Honolulu has great bus system)... They all told me that 5 series is very secure so nobody can get in... Is that true or dealer decided to get some money from me?

When they pressed that button to unlock door nothing happen. Can it be some security sustem failure or it should be like that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yours (97) is set up to where, once it's locked, only a key will open it. Pushing the interior button and/or pulling the door handle twice won't do a thing. This was changed in later years (99+ I believe).

I would recommend putting a duplicate key (ie the plastic emergency one) in a magnet box and storing it underneath the car.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That's exectly what I will do as soon as I can get into it... BTW - that plastic one, I should ask for it at dealership, right?

·
Registered
393 Posts
This is more common than you think, You could drill a hole behind your license plate, some car already have a hole there with a rubber plug. after that u fish around for the rod to pull the latch.
heres a quick link, scroll down, somebody explains how to do this. If you Google it you can even find pictures and a step by step DIY.
http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/90...TRUNK..?highlight=locked+out+drill+hole+plate

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Thanks! That's exectly what I will do as soon as I can get into it... BTW - that plastic one, I should ask for it at dealership, right?
That one comes with the car. If the original owner didn't give it to you, he probably lost it.
You only can get a master key from the dealer. Every e39 has a maximum limit of 10 keys from date of manufacturing. That is if the car was delivered with 2 master keys, you can order only 8 more.
Here are the keys when the car was delivered new:

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Every e39 has a maximum limit of 10 keys from date of manufacturing
Now that's interesting.

Why would they 'limit' the number of keys to 10?

Is the 'transponder' the unique 'thing' about the key (besides the metal cut)?

If so, is that transponder a hard-coded chip? Or is it something like a PROM or FPGA that can be 'burned' after the fact?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Now that's interesting.

Why would they 'limit' the number of keys to 10?

Is the 'transponder' the unique 'thing' about the key (besides the metal cut)?

If so, is that transponder a hard-coded chip? Or is it something like a PROM or FPGA that can be 'burned' after the fact?
Ive heard that before. Its true BUT its not true that you have to go to the dealer to get it coded. My local locksmith has blanks just like the ones you see on ebay and a laptop that he connects to the car that programs the key. $100 and you get a master key and a plastic emergency key.

That's the same thing repo companies have, they cut the key with the serial number, get inside the car, connect the laptop to the car put the key in the ignition and 10 minutes later the key is programmed and will start the car.

·
Registered
811 Posts
It is true. When 10 keys are coded to a car, you have to get a new ews and lock set. I have ran into this, and no matter what type of scanner you have, it is not possible to program the 11th key to the car, it will not take the code.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It is true. When 10 keys are coded to a car, you have to get a new ews and lock set. I have ran into this, and no matter what type of scanner you have, it is not possible to program the 11th key to the car, it will not take the code.
I can give you the shops phone number. They laughed at me when I said the same thing you said. There's laws preventing car companies from making anything DEALER only. Yes the options for regular car repair shops are very expensive but is available. Luckily in this day and age electronics have gotten cheaper and now even a at home do it urself'er can buy the laptop and software required to code modules and keys.

I didnt believe it either untill i had the guy in my car programming a key he just cut minutes ago. FAAar away from any "dealer"

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You can, however, cut 100 plastic keys. These have no chips and only do one thing - open the door. Seems boring, but it would've saved the OP lots of money now if he had that hidden under the car or in a wallet.

On the bright side, you'll have 4 new keys now!

·
Registered
393 Posts
A simple search would of helped the OP. The tiny hole behind the license plate trick works.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A lots of things was able to save me some money - in week before that I almost cut emergency key (I have blank) for about $20 but other things did not allow me to do so. That's fine, lesson learned and this will not happen again.
Thanks!

·
Registered
393 Posts
A lots of things was able to save me some money - in week before that I almost cut emergency key (I have blank) for about $20 but other things did not allow me to do so. That's fine, lesson learned and this will not happen again.
Thanks!
Cool remember its always cheaper to ask on a forum first. I hate to see people pay out the asz cause the dealer "said so"

·
Registered
393 Posts
wow its gotten even faster, repo guys had to watch their backs for 15 minutes till the key programed. Now it looks like its about 1 minute.
http://youtu.be/kVmPfCFFkqQ

·
Premium Member
7,742 Posts
Yours (97) is set up to where, once it's locked, only a key will open it. Pushing the interior button and/or pulling the door handle twice won't do a thing. This was changed in later years (99+ I believe).

I would recommend putting a duplicate key (ie the plastic emergency one) in a magnet box and storing it underneath the car.

Nope, my 2001 cannot be opened except using the key as well. I learned this AFTER the guy from AAA dicked up the paint around my door with his shim tool

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thanks!
I feel your pain! Hindsight is 20/20 and murphy's law always prevails.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I can give you the shops phone number. They laughed at me when I said the same thing you said. There's laws preventing car companies from making anything DEALER only. Yes the options for regular car repair shops are very expensive but is available. Luckily in this day and age electronics have gotten cheaper and now even a at home do it urself'er can buy the laptop and software required to code modules and keys.

I didnt believe it either untill i had the guy in my car programming a key he just cut minutes ago. FAAar away from any "dealer"
How about this, I will hook up my scanner to my 530i, and take a picture of the screen that shows how many keys are cut, and how many are left. It does not matter what type of coder you have, you cannot get around the DME not accepting the 11th key. Even if you have dealer equipment, you still cannot bypass the EWS and DME to make it accept the key number 11. I have personally tried with a GT1 and a Launch, both tell me the same thing, 10 coded keys only. If you want keys to open the doors, and unlock the steering column, you can make a million keys, but if you want to start the car, only 10.

·
Registered
393 Posts
How about this, I will hook up my scanner to my 530i, and take a picture of the screen that shows how many keys are cut, and how many are left. It does not matter what type of coder you have, you cannot get around the DME not accepting the 11th key. Even if you have dealer equipment, you still cannot bypass the EWS and DME to make it accept the key number 11. I have personally tried with a GT1 and a Launch, both tell me the same thing, 10 coded keys only. If you want keys to open the doors, and unlock the steering column, you can make a million keys, but if you want to start the car, only 10.
whoaa nooo sorry, misunderstanding. I was referring to the myth that only the dealer can code/program the keys.
Was no disrespect towards you. Sorry we got off on the wrong foot

And your right i was not thinking about how many keys can be accepted by the DME. Its funny though, if you get all 10 keys programmed in the DME then the repo guys cant take your car with the key method. lol still nothing stopping them from putting skates your car and getting it on a flatbed.

BTW What scanner do you use? Are you able to code modules like the ABS or LCM? I'm on the market for a cheap yet safe scanner/computer. Whats good for a serious DIY'er and wont break the bank? Should i buy a laptop based system or hand-held?

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
You can, however, cut 100 plastic keys
That's very interesting. We should all 'hide' a plastic key under our bumper (or wherever).

Do we have a good source for those plastic keys?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts