Bimmerfest BMW banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
As a 550I owner who bought a car and a warranty knowing the history of this car I would risk it again. Sadly I am still out a lot of money. Look at the class action thread on this car. Its very very bad.

At 85k + Miles expect to need the oil pan gaskets replaced. At 90,000 your consuming on average 1 quart of oil or more and your valve's are probably in need of a carbon blast. The problem with this is the intake valves are on the outside of the V and you need to take the engine out to get to them. The valve steam seals also need to be replaced about now also.

Crank case vent system is more than likely so heat soaked it probably cracked at this time also. So ideal at this stage its cheaper to just replace the engine than it is to replaced parts :(

Turbo hard lines and hoses probably leaking now too.

At 3,700 for a new engine and 6k for install you are left with no alternative but to sell the car on or pay the engine swap and keep it.

My cars well into the 30k in repairs in 12 months but I think I have done enough to keep it for another 5 years. That is a good new car at this cost.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok. Now I’m sick at my stomach after my purchase a month ago on my 550i. Apparently I should have done some research

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ok. Now I’m sick at my stomach after my purchase a month ago on my 550i. Apparently I should have done some research

I hope you got a decent warranty... BTW, some of the things needing repair, the dealer will automatically take care of, if it hasn't already been done on your vehicle

Sent from my SM-G950U using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2014 550 Msport with 31k miles. Bought it CPO last year with 24k miles.Absolutely no problems. Burns 1/2 quart of oil every 2.5k miles. My 2002 325 and my 2008 535 burned about the same. So not every 550 sucks.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a 2014 550 Msport with 31k miles. Bought it CPO last year with 24k miles.Absolutely no problems. Burns 1/2 quart of oil every 2.5k miles. My 2002 325 and my 2008 535 burned about the same. So not every 550 sucks.
You happened to purchase the beginning year that BMW finally started doing something about the issues.. You can buy a 2016 model f10 550 and I'm sure will be be no issues. That 2011 model though, I doubt one could escape from the inevitable

Sent from my SM-G950U using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine is a 2011 out of warranty and 117k miles M sport. My independent went over everything and saw only one issue with a hose that needed replacing. I may have to trade up

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Mine at 49K mile now got no issue at all. Just regularly oil change every 7-8k miles. My last oil change, they updated the software and I feel little lag occur in comfort mode when speed up then slow down and speed up again where the lag happens. Other than this, everything work great so far.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2011 550i 6mt here.

Bought it at 75k miles, now clocked 110k on the dot yesterday. Good car, love it.

Has her share of issues but I tackled them since the warranty is a cu**.:thumbup:

Here's what I did to her:
90 degree thermostat
BMS stage 2 tune
Catless dps
Muffler delete

Valve seals( yup....I did them myself. It was fun lemme tell ya but 1500 dollar job sounds much better than ANY QUOTE I HEARD) and trust issues...

Valve cover gaskets
Injector seal refresh
Vanos seal refresh
Both aux pumps(one died, one was misdiaged so I have a spare)
Alternator(my fault)
Oil level sensor(my fault)
Filter, plugs.

Used to burn a quart at 1 to 1.5k miles.
Now....I drove over 4k miles so far and it didn't even budge the gauge yet.

Car used to smoke with stock exhaust. Embarrassing.
Now she is fully catless and deleted. Only smoke is a small puff of black from first gear digs and tire smoke after 2nd lmao.

I love my 550i :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
At what miles did you have to do the valve stem seals?
I am waiting to install the 90C tstat; part is sitting in my garage for 5 months.
Aux pumps under recall. Go get your money back!

2011 550i 6mt here.

Bought it at 75k miles, now clocked 110k on the dot yesterday. Good car, love it.

Has her share of issues but I tackled them since the warranty is a cu**.:thumbup:

Here's what I did to her:
90 degree thermostat
BMS stage 2 tune
Catless dps
Muffler delete

Valve seals( yup....I did them myself. It was fun lemme tell ya but 1500 dollar job sounds much better than ANY QUOTE I HEARD) and trust issues...

Valve cover gaskets
Injector seal refresh
Vanos seal refresh
Both aux pumps(one died, one was misdiaged so I have a spare)
Alternator(my fault)
Oil level sensor(my fault)
Filter, plugs.

Used to burn a quart at 1 to 1.5k miles.
Now....I drove over 4k miles so far and it didn't even budge the gauge yet.

Car used to smoke with stock exhaust. Embarrassing.
Now she is fully catless and deleted. Only smoke is a small puff of black from first gear digs and tire smoke after 2nd lmao.

I love my 550i :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
85k miles: thermostat done
105k miles: valve seals, gaskets, tune up, oil change done

I saw the recall, I was mad lol. I hope I can get reimbursement for the pump.

So now it is 5k miles and no oil loss :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hey Guys,

E60 owner here and relatively new to BMW (only had this car for 6 months now).

My car is a very low mileage (47,000km) 2007 530xi and I love it, but I always wanted a BMW v8....so this 2011 550i with 117,000km shows up for sale and it piqued my interest:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/mississauga-peel-region/2011-bmw-550-navigation-6speed-manual-rare-tv-dvd/1328616549?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

But...I read all the threads about N63 being a horrible engine. Should I just stop right here and be happy with my E60? :p

Skip this generation of the v8. Wait for a M550 to come off lease. The N63 is garbage. The N63TU ( 2014 and 2015 ) is better and believe the N63Tu2 is the latest but unsure of quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought mine a month ago with similar stats. I’ve put 2k miles on it and taken it to the dragon with hard driving. It’s been great so far

·
Registered
742 Posts
The engine is not bad. It just has Achilles heal. Every bmw has bad gaskets. All V8’s bmw make have bad valve stem seals

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm back! :)

Would this example be any better since it's newer (2013)? https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=488432021

I looked up the VIN and it still seems to be N63 (not the TU...but not sure if that would show up in the VIN?).

I'm going to keep trying! hahahaha
Definitely pass on that one, way overpriced in my opinion. (I realize it has a manual, which is rare)

N63TU only came in 2014-2016 F10s. Around here you can find 2014 550i for 18-22k. (Autos)

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/2014/BMW/550i/Suwanee+GA-30024?zip=30024&startYear=2014&endYear=2014&makeCodeList=BMW&searchRadius=50&modelCodeList=550I&sortBy=relevance&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0

If you really want a manual, maybe consider getting an M5 instead?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Thanks Guys!

Ok, so I guess that eliminates 550i's entirely (any year)...as it seems they stopped making manual transmissions in 2014, which is the same time they seem to have introduced the N63TU! In other words, there was no manufactured combination of N63TU and 6-speed :(

The only viable option then for F10-series manuals, would be a 535i I guess then? Please tell me that is more reliable than the 550i?

41 - 60 of 66 Posts