BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My dealer just replaced all four brake pads and resurfaced the rotors. Charging $750 at the rate of $150/hr. Is it normal for this job to take 5hrs?

Thanks,
Ash.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The labor rate is typical for a dealer. However, I would not think it would be a five hour job. Independents are always better for jobs like this.

·
Registered
93 Posts
it's not.

You could have gotten a new front and rear brake kits (Akebono pads and Zimmermann rotors) for about $650 + at max 1.5hr to replace all 4.

IMO

·
Registered
169 Posts
If someone was performing the job that you had described for the very first time, probably so. For example, the Stealership charges $600 to change the spark plugs in a F10 535i. So, I said to myself, "Self, you can do that...just life the hood". So, I had lifted the hood and started taking things apart (There were no YouTube videos for my make and model). I put all of the plumbing, switches, sensors, filter coils, covers, etc. In the trunk...piece by piece. Removed the plugs and installed new ones. Then, because I didn't take pictures along the way as I was removing pieces, I was scratching my head and said to myself, "Self, WTF?" Time to walk away, crack open a Spaten Doppelebock and returned 10 mins. later.it all went back together like it was, perfecto. Then I had learned the parts store sent me the wrong plugs. So I had to tear it down for a redo. First time, 3hrs. Minus 10 mins for the brewski. Second time 1/2 hr. from the time I had lifted the hood to closing the hood. Plugs, thin wall socket, wobble bar, torque wrench, $100 in parts. Does that answer your question?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Officially a BMW Addict
1,172 Posts
I would have bought the whole kit with new rotors and had a indy replace. My indy usually charges $150 per axle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked with another BMW dealer to get a quote and they said for this kind of job the labor is charged at $350/axle. Pretty much the same. I thought my dealer charged me for 5 hours work. Now it makes sense.

An indy shop quoted $1500 for replacing brake pads and rotors (all OEM) and labor. Should have gone there, lesson learnt.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Hi,

My dealer just replaced all four brake pads and resurfaced the rotors. Charging $750 at the rate of $150/hr. Is it normal for this job to take 5hrs?

Thanks,
Ash.
The cost is typical of what you'd see at a dealership......but as mentioned by others above, there are other options to get the work done that are cheaper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The cost is typical of what you'd see at a dealership......but as mentioned by others above, there are other options to get the work done that are cheaper.
Thanks, indy shop sounds like a better option for future repairs. Got some oil leaks and there're couple of shops around me that specialize in European cars (per their sites). Will reach out to them next time.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well, I guess the dealer labor charge includes the service recipient, service adviser and the technician......:cry:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sounds like robbery to me, but then I did the last pad & rotor swap myself, to avoid such a situation. That said, I also ordered the wrong front rotors initially, and didn't notice until they were outside of the return period, so not all that bright I guess.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Quote included rotor resurfacing was surprising to me. I thought BMW rotors usually must be replaced due to excessive wear.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Labor charges have nothing to do with how long it actually takes. Labor is based on the number of hours their shop manual says it should take. I learned this lesson many years ago when was charged for more hours of labor than the time they actually had the car.

·
MattM
30 Posts
If someone was performing the job that you had described for the very first time, probably so. For example, the Stealership charges $600 to change the spark plugs in a F10 535i. So, I said to myself, "Self, you can do that...just life the hood". So, I had lifted the hood and started taking things apart (There were no YouTube videos for my make and model). I put all of the plumbing, switches, sensors, filter coils, covers, etc. In the trunk...piece by piece. Removed the plugs and installed new ones. Then, because I didn't take pictures along the way as I was removing pieces, I was scratching my head and said to myself, "Self, WTF?" Time to walk away, crack open a Spaten Doppelebock and returned 10 mins. later.it all went back together like it was, perfecto. Then I had learned the parts store sent me the wrong plugs. So I had to tear it down for a redo. First time, 3hrs. Minus 10 mins for the brewski. Second time 1/2 hr. from the time I had lifted the hood to closing the hood. Plugs, thin wall socket, wobble bar, torque wrench, $100 in parts. Does that answer your question?
This is ALL wrong. You need to spend much more time Spaten Doppelebock.

My examples of dealership abuse was $208 to swap the cabin filter on my 1M (same set up for many 1 and 3 Series cars. It was $18 for the filter (RockAuto) and ten minutes to do the actual job. There was not any beer involved in that process as it was 10:00AM. :)

Second was replacing the oil filter housing gasket. $1,100+ from the dealership. YouTube showed it was beyond my capacity of repairs (stuff goes wrong like broken bolts etc.) Local German shop said $800 (after the videos it seemed fair). Guess who got the work? They also did a brake fluid flush (my request, it was two years since the last one).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Thanks,
Ash.
As stated, labor hours are based on some money miser making up hours to charge. A good dealer will adjust to actual, but if were silly enough to take it to a stealership then you got robbed. Next time get quote before work is done and give it your due diligence.

I just did my front pads on my X5 with new Zimmerman rotors, and even painted the calipers and it cost me $275 and took me all of 2 hours and I***8217;ve never done brakes on a BMW before.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts