BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vegan, not Romulan
12,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that there are gunky greasy runs under the doors of my car. I think it either comes from the antirust or the grease to lubricate the hinges. The stuff runs out and gets on the panel under the door (what's that called?).

Anyway, does anyone else have this problem... and importantly how do you clean up the goo? Any special tips?

:dunno:

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
My car had it in all the jams when I picked it up. The stuff on mine is almost like wax (yellowish in color) and really sticky. Most of it came off with a damp cloth. In the tougher areas I used some carnuba wax, which seemed to dissolve it away pretty quick.

It's coming back in some areas but it seems to come off pretty easily for me. :dunno:

--SONET

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Cosmoline is a PITA. At the VPC center, they have this huge car wash with a chemical that is supposed to strip the cosmoline off the cars apparently (2nd hand information) but depending on how many car that have been thru it, and the last time they change the chemical, depends on how much of the stuff actually gets off your car.

Mine is pretty clean, exception being that some had possibly dripped down inside the window seals, and on warm days, if I leave the window half way down, then roll it all the way up, you can see a cosmosline "line" on the window. Griots window cleaner (which has a high content of alcohol) cleans it right off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.