BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Not topless in NE
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Service? I've always gotten decent service from my dealer. Not great service and I've had several complaints. One reason that I chose my dealer was because of the pickup and loaner service (aside from being rather reputable). One of my issues on my very first service visit (a while ago) was the Ford Focus loaner. Maybe I'm being petty here! This was recently aggravated when my wife had her QX4 Infinit serviced (I know, an SUV). This Infinti dealer is owned by the same place as my BMW dealer. She needed an oil change two weeks ago and called for service. They scheduled the service for last week one day. They came and picked up the car (we live about 25 miles from the dealer). They left her a brand new 2003 G35 as a loaner (Infinit provides them loaner cars). Then they came back a few hours later and returned the vehicle. The total bill was around $36.00 and I'm still wondering how they could make any money off of this. Of course my wife didn't call me about the G35 until it was gone so I didn't have a chance to take it out for a test run but maybe next time. Sorry for the long rant.

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
IIRC, BMW does not require its dealers to provide loaners for warranty work. The dealer has to handle it out-of-pocket. From what I understand about my dealer, there is a fleet of BMW loaners available on a first-come basis. When those run out, you are directed to the Enterprise office located inside the dealership. When I took my car in a few weeks ago, I got to the dealership a bit later than I'd planned and drove away in a Galant. (I mistakenly thought it was a Diamante when I posted about it here.)

I wouldn't fret too much over the loaner aspect of your service experience. The important part is the SERVICE.

·
Speed Bump
288 Posts
In general, BMW sales and service has sucked for me. I buy BMWs because they drive like BMWs, not because of some perceived status or outstanding customer service. When BMWs start to drive like Lexii (DBW, active steering, DSC that you cannot turn off) it will be time to shop elsewhere.

10 years ago, if you wanted a rear wheel drive sports sedan with a manual transmission, BMW was the only game in town. Now there are options.

Ed

·
Registered
738 Posts
Tim330Cic said:
One of my issues on my very first service visit (a while ago) was the Ford Focus loaner. Maybe I'm being petty here! This was recently aggravated when my wife had her QX4 Infinit serviced (I know, an SUV). This Infinti dealer is owned by the same place as my BMW dealer. She needed an oil change two weeks ago and called for service. They scheduled the service for last week one day. They came and picked up the car (we live about 25 miles from the dealer). They left her a brand new 2003 G35 as a loaner (Infinit provides them loaner cars). Then they came back a few hours later and returned the vehicle. The total bill was around $36.00 and I'm still wondering how they could make any money off of this.
Hi Tim-

"Said dealer" has something like 25 Infiniti loaners and only 4 BMWs. The BMWs are almost always out with some kind of emergency or problem customer (i.e. 745 owners, M3 customers that are having engine problems, etc) and are used mainly for service visits that will require the vehicle to be tied up for a while. Due to the nature of these problems, it is usually hard to schedule when a BMW loaner will be back in advance. If you really want one, you can probably get it, but it will take several weeks to arrange it.

As far as the Infinitis go, there is a large "financial compensation" package that they get to maintain this loaner fleet. BMW leaves their dealers to buy and maintain the vehicles on their own. They used to have more loaners, but do the general lack of respect some customers had (damaging cars, not returning them when they were supposed to, etc) they quickly realized the system wasn't going to work. The only way to maintain that program would be to significantly increase the labor rate. On a side note, those "cheapo" rentals are costing them anywhere from $30-$50 a day, and even more if they pay for an upgrade in some case. When you go in for a 15k or 30k, they immediately cut that from their profit. That doesn't leave very much.

The moral of the story: if you are really unhappy, call BMW and pressure them to put a program like Infiniti's into affect. Otherwise, give them a few extra weeks notice when making your appointment and they might be able to arrange it for you.

·
Banned
9,901 Posts
Yes, anyone/everyone is happy with BMW.

·
Not topless in NE
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was mainly just griping but what better way to get someone to come back and purchase another brand x car than to let them test drive other models while theirs is being worked on? There must be some type of advertising benefit to having your customers driving new models around.

Also keep in mind that there are other issues about BMW service that I'm not very fond of. Of course I'd rather not bash my dealer since I not totally pissed about some of the things that take place. I'm not sure BMW has "Customer Service" right quite yet (I'm being rather nice here...)

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Tim330Cic said:
I was mainly just griping but what better way to get someone to come back and purchase another brand x car than to let them test drive other models while theirs is being worked on? There must be some type of advertising benefit to having your customers driving new models around.

Also keep in mind that there are other issues about BMW service that I'm not very fond of. Of course I'd rather not bash my dealer since I not totally pissed about some of the things that take place. I'm not sure BMW has "Customer Service" right quite yet (I'm being rather nice here...)
When you get called to provide input on your service experience, be sure to give full disclosure. Or, if you don't get called, call BMWNA and speak with a rep (I've never been on hold more than 30 seconds). I was thoroughly satisfied with my experience, but your input would go a long way to fixing whatever might be wrong with your dealership.

·
Not topless in NE
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jetfire said:

When you get called to provide input on your service experience, be sure to give full disclosure. Or, if you don't get called, call BMWNA and speak with a rep (I've never been on hold more than 30 seconds). I was thoroughly satisfied with my experience, but your input would go a long way to fixing whatever might be wrong with your dealership.
Absolutely! That is the only way that they are going to know. I am always too easy on the ratings though. I usually get called and a letter in the mail. I have never bashed the dealership. I simply want BMWNA to know what I feel is wrong with the process.

·
Astigmatic Visionary
2,802 Posts
So far I am quite happy with my car and dealer.They have taken care of any small problems we've had no sweat. My wifes Infiniti is a fine tool for its job just not alot of soul.The dealer is fantastic, couldn't be more helpful with delivery,loaners and all around atmosphere.I believe they actually care but they also have subsidies and more difficulty moving all the cars off their lots.In other words motivation.I certainley would not be unhappy if BMW dealers were more like them in some ways but in my experience its almost splitting hairs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts