Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tamer of the Mighty V8
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaving in 3 weeks for Milan and we are traveling to Genoa,Portofino,Florence,Tuscany, Rome,Venice,Lake Como and back to Milan, to fly back to San Francisco.
Is there anything special I should see and is there anything car related I need to see, or buy, while my wife and I are there?
Never been out of the country, so while I'm excited, I'm also a little freaked out!

Thanks, Keith "The Wine Guy":dunno:

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Keith said:
I'm leaving in 3 weeks for Milan and we are traveling to Genoa,Portofino,Florence,Tuscany, Rome,Venice,Lake Como and back to Milan, to fly back to San Francisco.
Is there anything special I should see and is there anything car related I need to see, or buy, while my wife and I are there?
Never been out of the country, so while I'm excited, I'm also a little freaked out!

I ain't never been to Italy, but I hears that if you go, you've gots to visit the Tower of Pizza. Make mine a pepperoni, would ya?

·
10,856 Posts
If you can, rent a car and take the Amalfi drive... Absolutely stunning views. The road is a little too busy to really have fun on, though. :(

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Keith said:

Ive been to Italy twice, great place to visit:thumbup: I like going to the famous landmarks, but i hate going on tours and visiting boring museums (but i like cool museums). Im a big shopper when i go on vacation, and Italy is the best place for buying clothes. Food is great, climate wonderful, scenery gorgeous, women....very hot.

The leaning tower of Pisa was kinda way out in the middle of nowhere, u might wanna take that into consideration. In Milan, you wanna visit the huge cathedral (Il Duomo?) you cant miss it. In Florence, theres "The Golden Bridge" (Ponte de Vecchio?) It has a bunch of leather and gold products cheap, thats what florence is known for. Venice is a neat city ot visit with all the canals and gondolas. I think its Lake Como, but theres an Ancien Roman "Spa" where you get on a boat and sail into a dark cave. Its pitch black dark in there, but the water is the brightest blue you will ever see. Its got something to do with the limestone cave and reflection of the water

Rome was my favorite place. You can visit the Spanish steps and the trevi fountain. The Colliseum and the Roman Forum are the two biggest landmarks. They are nearby, and you can actually go inside. You can try to visit the Vatican, but it is an ALL DAY thing and a big hassle, but its worth it. If you get at the gate at the crack of dawn, you'll be in a HUGE line to get in. As the day goes by, the lines will wrap around the walls of the Vatican, and at least tens of thousand of people will be waiting (no exaggeration). If you get in, you will spend all day walking around and get very tired and exhausted, but its worth it. If you wanna get in there, i strongly recommend joining a large tour group.

Too much other stuff to talk about, you'll see just how much cool stuff there is to do there. Have a fun trip, get to drive an Alfa Romeo, eat good food, drink good wine, see some pretty ladies, and have a safe journey. You wont be disappointed.

·
O.G.
8,376 Posts
Kieth,

We went to Italy two years ago and it was a great trip! The food is simply amazing.

While in Tuscany be sure hit Siena - its not far from Florence, and is one of the nicest little cities in Italy.

One bit of advice: beware of gypsy women holding cardboard. :yikes:

·
Over-the-Hill
11,498 Posts
Keith said:
Is there anything special I should see and is there anything car related I need to see

FERRARI Gallery in Maranello!

http://www.velocetoday.com/lifestyle/lifestyle_6.php

You can take pictures and get up close to the cars on display. Allow yourself a couple of hours. There's a store next to the gallery called "Warm Up" with tons of merchandise for teh Ferrari fan, as well as other F1 fan favorites.

http://www.warm-up-f1.com/

The ultimate gallery for an enthusiast!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Keith said:

Others, especially Mathew already mentioned some good things about this great country. One thing I see is that you plan to visit A LOT of places. I don't know how long your stay is going to be but you might want to slow down and enjoy things more thoroughly. Don't be one of these on the go Americans who see 6 countries through the windows of a tour bus in 6 days. I lived in Italy for a while (in Rome) and have been to most places you list. The great thing about visiting a country is trying to actually adapt to the local way of life. Italians like to take their time to do things. Enjoy your morning espresso in a local cafe, walk around, shop. Rome is, in my opinion, the most fantastic city in the world, so plan to spend some time there. Do try to see Tuscany if you can (Siena, Florence, Perugia). It is very different from the Lazio region (Rome). Go to Venice - but this is more like a one day affair. That is a lot already. You can save southern Italy for another separate trip. Milan, IMO, can be skipped. So is Genoa. Try to spend more time either in Rome or in Tuscany or if you have to make some more "checks" on your list - make a separate trip to Amalfi or Lago di Como. Very different places. Decide what you like best. Shop, shop, shop. Italy has great stores and great prices. Great restaurants too. You are from the Bay Area, so you should be fine being able to tell touristy places from real ones. Just make sure the menu is not in any other language than Italian, you see locals eating there, it is not crowded before 8PM and most likely it will be off the beated tourist paths. By the way, most restaurants in Venice will be overpriced and will suck. It's a big tourist trap. Make sure you see the fish market there. Say hi to Garibaldi's statue in Rome from me, stuff yourself with fresh San Daniele prosciutto and have FUNNNNNNNN!

P.S. Whatever you do, please do not order a cappucino in the afternoon....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts