BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an order in for an E90 M3. The car will not be built until May. My wife is pushing for me to switch the F10 (550), or even the X5. I have driven each ( the M3 and 550 ix) about 5 times and really like both, but they are quite different.

The 550ix is much more upscale, especially the interior. The problems that I see with the 550 are the size and especially the weight. It weighs 800lbs more than the M3. Granted, I would get the DHP and sport package as part of M sport to help deal with the weight. Another concern is the first year issues that everyone is complaining about. Steering, interior build quality issues etc..

I am now seriously considering canceling my order and getting the 550ix. Should I do it??

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,845 Posts
As you say, totally different cars. Only you (and your wife) can determine what best fits your needs. I had two 3-series (non-sport) prior to my F10 535i. I was ready for the bigger, more luxurious car, so I do love the new one. In reality, in its base suspension form, it doesn't handle all that different from my previous '08 335i even though it's quite a bit larger. You have to accept that the larger 5 will never handle like an M3 and go from there. It seems like you've driven it several times and liked it.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I have an order in for an E90 M3. The car will not be built until May. My wife is pushing for me to switch the F10 (550), or even the X5. I have driven each ( the M3 and 550 ix) about 5 times and really like both, but they are quite different.

The 550ix is much more upscale, especially the interior. I see with the 550 are the size and especially the weight. It weighs 800lbs more than the M3. Granted, I would get the DHP and sport package as part of M sport to help deal with the weight. Another concern is the first year issues that everyone is complaining about. Steering, interior build quality etc..

I am now seriously considering canceling my order and getting the 550ix. Should I do it??
550i vs m3 part 25.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
You really can't compare the two. One is an iconic, award winning, sport sedan (or coupe). And it will remind you of that at all times.

The other is a future classic luxury sedan that still has a good amount of sport baked in. It's not an M3..and will remind you of THAT all the time.

You can't lose either way. Only you can decide which meets your needs either better.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If you're wanting the M3 because of how it drives, and you think you'll get close to that from the 550, you're setting yourself up for major disappointment.

Like the other posters said, these are entirely different yet very good cars. But each serve their own niche, and you need to decide what counts in the car you drive.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Both are great cars. Here are three questions you might ask yourself:
If you get the M3 - will you "hear about it" every day from the wife?
If you get the F10 550, will you miss the hard cornering capabilities of the M3?
Do you like to take long trips with the family in a sport/luxury vehicle?

Personally, I love my F10 550. When I put it in sport+ mode, I do not miss the "rush" from driving an M5 or an M3.

·
Registered
403 Posts
i love my 5. it was time for me to grow up and I wanted the ride to not feel like my butt was on the pavement all the time. I like the elegance and smooth ride of the 5 but still with some get up and go when called upon. My wife hated my 3. Hated the ride, hated the spartan interior...When I brought home the five she said, "That is a sexy car!" Glad I got the 5 ;)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
The answer is simple. One car has a major in sport and a minor in luxury and one has a major in luxury and a minor in sport. They both are great cars but you need to figure out if you want a primary focus of sport or luxury. They both do great well, but each has a focus...

·
356 Posts
Happy wife, happy life! And life ain't so bad driving an F10 - especially a 550xi.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
The answer is simple. One car has a major in sport and a minor in luxury and one has a major in luxury and a minor in sport. They both are great cars but you need to figure out if you want a primary focus of sport or luxury. They both do great well, but each has a focus...
IMO, the 5 does sport way better than the 3 does luxury.

The sport in a 5 is a bit deceptive, since it is so smooth that you don't feel it in the seat of your pants as much as the 3, but, on the road, getting it done, beating other cars to a spot, taking on ramps and curves and hills, it gets the job done really well. The 5 has a way of getting smaller as you drive it harder, the 3 doesn't get more luxurious as you drive it harder.

·
Registered
403 Posts
+1 Kamdog

·
Registered
362 Posts
IMO, the 5 does sport way better than the 3 does luxury.

The sport in a 5 is a bit deceptive, since it is so smooth that you don't feel it in the seat of your pants as much as the 3, but, on the road, getting it done, beating other cars to a spot, taking on ramps and curves and hills, it gets the job done really well. The 5 has a way of getting smaller as you drive it harder, the 3 doesn't get more luxurious as you drive it harder.
+1

but I think you meant "...the 3 doesn't get more luxurious as you drive it lighter/softer"

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I'd say if you like how the F10 drives it's probably the better choice for you. You get a drive that you like and the added luxury and space of the 5 and it's a newer model.
And that's from me, who is probably the most unhappy F10 (former) owner there has been on this forum. The handling on the F10 is far to isolated and soft for my taste.

The thing is that after 5 drives of these two cars I would have absolutely no, zilch , nada difficulty to decide which one to pick.

I will never pay this kind of money again for a car that does not please me in the handling department no matter how luxurious, the F10 taught me that much about myself.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I'd say if you like how the F10 drives it's probably the better choice for you. You get a drive that you like and the added luxury and space of the 5 and it's a newer model.
And that's from me, who is probably the most unhappy F10 (former) owner there has been on this forum. The handling on the F10 is far to isolated and soft for my taste.

The thing is that after 5 drives of these two cars I would have absolutely no, zilch , nada difficulty to decide which one to pick.

I will never pay this kind of money again for a car that does not please me in the handling department no matter how luxurious, the F10 taught me that much about myself.
Was waiting for this one.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Well he is the only happy person for not driving a F10. And everybody has to know.
Its nice to know where people stand, thats for sure. But it sounds like a lot of the issues that solstice had with his car were unfortunate and unique. And it also seems like if handling were such a large issue with him he could have figured that out with a simple test drive to see if he liked f 10 handling?

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
No, zilch, nada difficulty!
Quite honestly, I can relate. It's easy to "convince" yourself of something when you want it bad enough. After all, the F10 is the new toy, great styling, upgraded electronics, etc., vs. the E9x which is about to go away in another MY. It's very easy to say "yeah, I can live with the car like that in order to get all this new stuff". Only to find out after living with the car for a little while...you really can't.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts