BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The factory has a long holiday in August right?
And a lot of Europeans are off then right?
Does that mean August is a bad time for tourism? Will shops be closed, etc?

I'm trying to see if I should push to make the deadline for a Munich pickup in July... :dunno:
Or should I just aim for August?

Thanks,
Rich

·
In Driving Heaven
2,772 Posts
I've been to Munich in August. All the tourist things are open, the shops were open, plenty of bier available in the biergartens, etc. August can be hot, so be prepared for the weather. A lot of Europeans are off at that time, so you might have to compete with them at certain tourist destinations. On the other hands, large cities are frequently less crowded. If you do an August pickup, your car will be built in July or earlier, so you don't have to worry in that regard. If they quote you an August pickup date, your car will be ready.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I ordered my E90 this past week. No official delivery date, yet.... The dealer said that the August schedule has not been finalized, but I should not have a problem getting my date because I am arriving late in August. I already have my tickets to arrive on a Weds. The ED Center is said to be busier on Mondays and Fridays.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have an early August delivery with a July build. Germany in August is very quiet from a business standpoint. What this does for you is higher then usual traffic and people have a really, really big :D on their face. It's national vacation time :bigpimp: ....don't sweat it.
You will have a great time, it's full time tourist season.

.Trex

·
Registered
852 Posts
Summer holidays therefore airfares etc. are higher.

Best to wait until mid/late Sept, if you can. Of course, then there's Oktoberfest - even more reason to wait!

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
Having lived in Europe for a while, I can tell you August is a rough time to travel there. As people mentioned, the gas and airline prices are up. Also, EVERY school on the continent is out for their summer break.

Just before moving back to the US I took a week trip to the Highlands of Scottland in August. Despite being such a lonely and empty land, the place was PACKED. The fantastic roads for driving were clogged with traffic, all the good B&Bs were booked, all of the tourist attractions were packed as well.

I don't like crowds and found the fall or early spring the best time to travel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts