Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

What is the opinion of the crowd on BMW Assist with Bluetooth. Is it worth the $685 with the additional charge per year? Am I completely incapable of buying my own movie tickets and making my own dinner reservations? I hear a lot of people complaining about the Bluetooth not working. I have a Bluetooth phone and like the concept of the car see it, but in the end, is it worth the money?

Also, does anyone know the rates on the assist after the first free year?

Cheers,

Xi Guy

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
xi guy said:
Hi everyone,

What is the opinion of the crowd on BMW Assist with Bluetooth. Is it worth the $685 with the additional charge per year? Am I completely incapable of buying my own movie tickets and making my own dinner reservations? I hear a lot of people complaining about the Bluetooth not working. I have a Bluetooth phone and like the concept of the car see it, but in the end, is it worth the money?

Cheers,

Xi Guy
I'm interested since it knows where you are for roadside assistance and will assist in stolen vehicle recovery.
Fee is $240 per year. Up to $60 discount with multi year subscriptions.
Convenience plan adds $120.
First year is free and within 45 days you can try up to two Concierge and one Directions, Traffic or Weather calls.

·
This is the Cubs year)
4,012 Posts
xi guy said:
Hi everyone,

Cheers,

Xi Guy
bluetooth yes, assist NO

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
xi guy said:
Hi everyone,

Cheers,

Xi Guy
Adding Bluetooth to your car is really great if you are on the phone a lot. My 5er is the first car in North America with factory Bluetooth - so I´ve had more time to enjoy its benefits than others.

Assist is a question of whether you place a value on ACN (and also stolen vehicle notification) - the concierge service is the same as what I have on a charge card and it´s useful in limited scope.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Well my car was the 184,000th BMW to be delivered in North America with Bluetooth and even I think it's great. You'll never want to own a car without it. Make sure your phone is fully compatible...some BT phones will work but won't transmit your phonebook data into the display on the dash. Having I-drive and BT together is the way to go...the large screen enhances the whole experience.

I've never once used assist and hence never needed to renew it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the assist with convience plan and BT on a 06 325i delivery in October. I was one of the poor saps :( with the BT issue with a certified phone but BMW issued a fix in the new CIP and my dealer installed it yesterday:) .

I have used the convience package often on trips. For me, if you or in my case my wife drive in remote areas the assist can be very valuable or live in an area with the possibility of car theft (DC). I do wonder why I still keep AAA premium with free towing for 100 miles, roadside assistance etc. The concierge service is typical of those provided by credit card companies. It is helpful if you need help on specialized items and/or don't have the time to for personal transactions.

Just my take.

·
Registered
105 Posts
xi guy said:
I hear a lot of people complaining about the Bluetooth not working.
That would be me. Mine works intermittently but when it does work it is great; however, BMW has recently put out a software upgrade that supposedly fixes the problem.

I could take or leave Assist but bluetooth is great especially since it is illegal to use a cell handset in CT where I spend a lot of time driving. I can't stand those bluetooth earbuds so it is worth the money for me. I don't know if it is worth the $$ if you don't mind the earbuds and/or it is not illegal to use a cell handset where you drive.

·
detour in Ingolstadt
3,180 Posts
B_Chuong said:
If the car battery was dead due to accident, will it be able to invoke the BMW assist?
You can call BMW assist on your cell phone. I programmed the number in but it's also on the toolkit in the trunk and they send you laminated cards for your wallet and glove compartment with the number.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
BMW~NYY said:
That would be me. Mine works intermittently but when it does work it is great; however, BMW has recently put out a software upgrade that supposedly fixes the problem.

I could take or leave Assist but bluetooth is great especially since it is illegal to use a cell handset in CT where I spend a lot of time driving. I can't stand those bluetooth earbuds so it is worth the money for me. I don't know if it is worth the $$ if you don't mind the earbuds and/or it is not illegal to use a cell handset where you drive.
Have you found out if the BT problem is only with certain phones or are the cars with this BT problem affecting everyone regardless of phone make/model?

My Moto V551 has worked perfectly from day one. (it's also one of the lower priced BT phones)

(Where in Mass are you? I went to college in Williamstown!)

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
westwest888 said:
You can call BMW assist on your cell phone. I programmed the number in but it's also on the toolkit in the trunk and they send you laminated cards for your wallet and glove compartment with the number.
That may only partially correct. The number for BMW Assist (if there is one) is not on the laminated cards or in the toolkit.

I'm sure there's a customer service number for them and possibly a way to reach them outside the car (not counting the concierge) but regardless you need to have an active BMW Assist account to use BMW Assist.

·
detour in Ingolstadt
3,180 Posts
Jspira said:
That may only partially correct. The number for BMW Assist (if there is one) is not on the laminated cards or in the toolkit.

I'm sure there's a customer service number for them and possibly a way to reach them outside the car (not counting the concierge) but regardless you need to have an active BMW Assist account to use BMW Assist.
Wrong. See pics.

1. jspira is wrong
2. jspira is still wrong

:rofl:

Attachments

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
westwest888 said:
Wrong. See pics.

1. jspira is wrong
2. jspira is still wrong
Please, you are embarrassing yourself.

Your first photo shows the number for Roadside Assistance.

Your second photo shows the same card I have, which has the number for RA and also for BMW Assist Customer Care (just as I said there would be a number).

Perhaps you need to actually read the cards?

Maybe you should quickly edit your post so as not to perpetuate incorrect info.

·
detour in Ingolstadt
3,180 Posts
Jspira said:
Please, you are embarrassing yourself.

Your first photo shows the number for Roadside Assistance.

Your second photo shows the same card I have, which has the number for RA and also for BMW Assist Customer Care (just as I said there would be a number).

Perhaps you need to actually read the cards?

Maybe you should quickly edit your post so as not to perpetuate incorrect info.
There's a dozen manuals and a dozen cards - the numbers for all of these things are in there.

I would argue that BMW Assist and Roadside Assistance are synonymous. Any number will get you into their system your call will be accordingly routed to 1. assistance 2. concierge 3. customer relations.

Try calling them, they really kiss your ass. I've never heard someone so excited to ask me "Yes Mr. West. Would you like the weekend forecast or the five day forecast...Ok great sir!"

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
westwest888 said:
I would argue that BMW Assist and Roadside Assistance are synonymous. Any number will get you into their system your call will be accordingly routed to 1. assistance 2. concierge 3. customer relations.
Well, you can argue that but since one is a service you get for one year with your car (BMW Assist) and can only connect you to the other, and the other (RA) is something that you get for four years and is the service that actually comes out to jump start your car or tow you, you probably wouldn't win that argument.

·
detour in Ingolstadt
3,180 Posts
Jspira said:
Well, you can argue that but since one is a service you get for one year with your car (BMW Assist) and can only connect you to the other, and the other (RA) is something that you get for four years and is the service that actually comes out to jump start your car or tow you, you probably wouldn't win that argument.
All I know is I pay for all the extra services and when I call I get everything I ask for. I don't care if I get someone from a wrench button, an SOS button, a fire button, the wrong cell phone number. If they say "Thank you for calling BMW ____..." I'm going to get what I want.

·
This is the Cubs year)
4,012 Posts
I would have to agree with westwest..... if you have a dead battery, roadside assistance will do the same damn thing as bmw assist, COME OUT AND GIVE YOU A JUMP.

the only difference is how you are accessing the assistance. any arguing over petty numbers or whatnot is like masturbating as an 8th grader....... the urge to keep doing it never stops.... come on use your intellect and talents elsewhere on the forum rather than seeing who can rationalize better.... you both are helpful and add alot..... let's leave it at that:thumbup:

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
schley said:
come on use your intellect and talents elsewhere on the forum rather than seeing who can rationalize better.... you both are helpful and add alot..... let's leave it at that
Thank you for jumping in.

I did get carried away; remember, I write about this stuff for several magazines (in my part-time career) so I have to of course get the details right for articles :)

·
This is the Cubs year)
4,012 Posts
Jspira said:
I write about this stuff for several magazines (in my part-time career)
You are very good btw I have read several of your articles :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts