BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my 2008 535i in Munich, and noticed some differences over my previous 2006 530i and 2007 525i. Is this cost cutting? Perhaps I'm missing something having just been with the car a few days (its coming back home tomorrow).

1. REST feature has been removed (this was also removed by Benz a few years ago). I actually like this feature a lot.
2. Rechargeable Glovebox flashlight is no longer included.
3. Tool kit only has 1 spanner instead of 2 (this is also the same as for 2007).

I wonder what else is missing from my updated car? Anyone with any more items? On the other hand, I do get a slightly better engine...

Cheers,

Chris.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 2008 535xi had a rechargable flashlight in the glovebox. No idea on the other 2 questions.
I should also say that I did find a neat white LED pocket BMW flashlight in the glovebox that ran off a AAA battery. Perhaps that is the new replacement?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I believe the REST feature is set up through the i drive in my 535 but I do not use it. Mine has the flashlight.....not sure about the tools. My complaint lies with the sub-standard paint job and lack of temperature gauge. When do you know it is OK to rev it up??????? No coolant gauge and no oil temp gauge.

·
Registered
824 Posts
If by " REST" you're referring to the residual heat function, I believe you turn the fan speed knob to activate that.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If by " REST" you're referring to the residual heat function, I believe you turn the fan speed knob to activate that.
Thank you - I hope that's the case. If so, even better - you can adjust the fan strength.

In the 2006/2007 models, its a button. I do admit I haven't read the manual yet for the new car, and I did look for REST in iDrive without success.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I took delivery of my 2008 535i in Munich, and noticed some differences over my previous 2006 530i and 2007 525i. Is this cost cutting?
I have a 1999 528i. I have used the flashlight in the glovebox approximately zero times. I'll trade a flashlight for the new engine any day of the week.

·
3 pedals only!
2,713 Posts
+1. This is correct.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Rest is still available on my 2008 535. And the flashlight is in the glove box. Just used it a few days ago. Did you read your manual? I am not sure what you mean by spanner, but I have a screwdriver that has both types in one.

·
3 pedals only!
2,713 Posts
Rest is still available on my 2008 535. And the flashlight is in the glove box. Just used it a few days ago. Did you read your manual? I am not sure what you mean by spanner, but I have a screwdriver that has both types in one.
spanner = wrench. The term is British in colour.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
spanner = wrench. The term is British in colour.
OK. I remembered to use "flashlight" instead of "torch".

So is very cold water called "wrench water" in the US?

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got home, and did check the manual. REST is in the car (according to the manual), as described in the thread.

But get this - the recharegable flashlight is NOT. Instead they have included a picture and description of the non-rechargeable one that I received. So the rechargeable flashlight and extra WRENCH (picture only shows one) are definitely gone.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 1999 528i. I have used the flashlight in the glovebox approximately zero times. I'll trade a flashlight for the new engine any day of the week.
Twice in the last month for me. The first time to find something under the seat (I have a 3 year old). The second to attach the tow hook and bungee cords in a poorly lit area in the hills.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I just got home, and did check the manual. REST is in the car (according to the manual), as described in the thread.

But get this - the recharegable flashlight is NOT. Instead they have included a picture and description of the non-rechargeable one that I received. So the rechargeable flashlight and extra WRENCH (picture only shows one) are definitely gone.
Strange. I have the rechargeable one in my car, a January '08 build and delivered in Feb '08.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Likewise, have one in mine, built in Oct 07, delivered Nov 07. :dunno:
Mine is a Apr '08 build, May '08 delivery. The manual is US English II/08. The recharging orifice with the prongs is actually blanked off in my car, so you can't just insert a rechargeable flashlight.

·
Registered
47 Posts
...My complaint lies with the ... lack of temperature gauge. When do you know it is OK to rev it up??????? No coolant gauge and no oil temp gauge.
My 2006 530xi has a dynamic redline indicator around the periphery of the tachometer. When the car is cold the redline is automatically lowered to prevent you from overburdening the engine. As the engine temperature rises the redline increases to its default position.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Interesting feature but my 2008 535 does not have this. It would be nice to know when the engine is warmed up sufficiently to push it without damage/excessive wear.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,455 Posts
My 2006 530xi has a dynamic redline indicator around the periphery of the tachometer. When the car is cold the redline is automatically lowered to prevent you from overburdening the engine. As the engine temperature rises the redline increases to its default position.
This was dropped for MY08 (or was it MY07?).

·
Rocket Scientist
1,455 Posts
I took delivery of my 2008 535i in Munich, and noticed some differences over my previous 2006 530i and 2007 525i. Is this cost cutting? Perhaps I'm missing something having just been with the car a few days (its coming back home tomorrow).

1. REST feature has been removed (this was also removed by Benz a few years ago). I actually like this feature a lot.
3. Tool kit only has 1 spanner instead of 2 (this is also the same as for 2007).

I wonder what else is missing from my updated car? Anyone with any more items? On the other hand, I do get a slightly better engine...

Cheers,

Chris.
Yes, my 2005 had two spanners (wrenches), now it's one.

Look under your first aid kit, you'll see that the emergency sunroof closure tool is no longer there as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts