BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Pure Natural BMW Muscle!
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am asking this because I am having a whistling sound under my intake manifold at idle, which I suspect is a bad CCV or connecting hoses.

Car has 32000 miles, although its a 9/2002 reg. and it has been driven small trips almost exclusively in-town.

Symptoms are the following:
1. Continous whistling at idle, it dissapears when I step on the gas. I have traced it to be around the intake manifold, or under it.
2. Some oil usage, not excessive, expecially when I drive the car hard. There is some black residue inside the tailpipes.
3. Pinging when going uphill say with 3rd gear and I step on it.
4. I rarely used to get some burnt-oil like smell inside the cabin, although this hasn't happened for quite some time.

Other than that car is fine, not EML light on, no erratic idle, pulls fine.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The CCV is about $50, I'm not sure if it is serviceable or not. I have to do mine as i have slight oil consumption and black residue on the tailpipe. I had whistling sound when the gas pedal was at a very specific spot, I got that fixed by changing the connecting hoses. The lower hose in particular gets cracked near where it goes in the intake.

·
Registered
480 Posts
It's definitely serviceable. Google Lberts ccv/oil separator diy, it's excellent. If you don't wrench much, set aside the better part of a day. Check out the diy. Parts, tools and procedures are laid out in detail- Good luck BTW All the short trips are the primary cause of this malady. The engine doesn't get up to, or remain at operating temp long enough to evaporate moisture condensed inside the engine from constant on/off, short duration type operation. Weekly trips of 20-30min duration (minimum) are a good thing.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,961 Posts
If you try this DIY, go ahead and just buy ALL the hoses connected to it. You WILL break them removing it and even if by some miracle you don't, better to be prepared. You can always take them back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts