Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As soon as I connected a dash cam power plug to the power receptacle under the passenger side compartment, the cam was turned on although the engine was off. So, is this a BMW feature? Or am I missing something? I believe on every other car I've owned, the cigarette power outlet was not powered unless the engine was on.

·
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
1,086 Posts
I think you may have done something prior to plugging in your dash cam that had already caused the cars electrical system to "wake up" (Comfort Access unlocking the doors, etc. maybe?). I think you'll find that after the car sits undisturbed for 15 to 20 minutes or less, the cars electrical system will power back down and re-enter the "sleep mode", thereby turning off the power to those sockets..

·
Registered
3 Posts
No power from port

I have the 2016 BMW X1, and there is a 12v socket as pictured. I want to use it for a dash cam, but get no power on that socket, even with the car on.

Is it wired on all x1 (USA model) or I needed to get a certain option for it to work?

·
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
1,086 Posts
I have the 2016 BMW X1, and there is a 12v socket as pictured. I want to use it for a dash cam, but get no power on that socket, even with the car on.

Is it wired on all x1 (USA model) or I needed to get a certain option for it to work?
In the newTIS.info it does say that 12-v outlets are "region and option specific", but I would think that if it is present it would be electrically connected.
Quick ?: is the 12 volt outlet in the front of the center console powered up? If not it could be that Fuse 65 has blown. Or can it be as simple as the connector to this socket has come loose? You'll have to drop the panel below the glovebox to check this connection and/or to verify that electrical power at the connector is present (both power and ground) Attached is the circuit diagram for this outlet:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f48-x1-xdrive28i-sav/1VnXRIT4We

1 - 7 of 7 Posts