BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the unit is fried in our '08 535xi. It freezes and sometimes has sat reception and sometimes not. The SOS is usually out as well. Radio seems to work fine, tho. It is NOT a Logic 7 system.

I'd like to swap units but the one I tried to swap had no audio. It lit up and tuned radio channels fine.

I've searched here and other places without finding what I need.

Thanks All!

·
Officially a BMW Addict
1,085 Posts
I would recommend to have it repaired instead of messing around with other used units ...bavlogic.com

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would recommend to have it repaired instead of messing around with other used units ...bavlogic.com
Thanks! I was having trouble locating someone in the US. I appreciate this.

·
Premium Member
2001 325i sedan 5mt, 2009 535xi Touring 6mt
659 Posts
When you swapped one in and it had no audio, it's certainly possible that it came from a car with Logic 7 which sends its audio over fiber obtics. My 2009 has the Individual Audio package (it's what replaced Logic 7) and when I retrofitted a used CIC unit it had no audio since it came from a car with the standard audio and it wasn't until I quickly recoded it with NCS Expert that I got any audio out of it.

If I had CCC and it failed, and I didn't want to upgrade to CIC I would simply do what you did and grab another CCC. They are cheap and easy to swap out if you can do just the most basic coding. Swapping CIC units and retaining navigation functionality is not trivial or for the faint of heart (in my opinion, having done it) as they are tied specifically to the VIN they were originally programmed to. CCC doesn't store the navigation info on an internal hard drive so BMW didn't tie it to the car the same way, at least that's my take on it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you swapped one in and it had no audio, it's certainly possible that it came from a car with Logic 7 which sends its audio over fiber obtics. My 2009 has the Individual Audio package (it's what replaced Logic 7) and when I retrofitted a used CIC unit it had no audio since it came from a car with the standard audio and it wasn't until I quickly recoded it with NCS Expert that I got any audio out of it.

If I had CCC and it failed, and I didn't want to upgrade to CIC I would simply do what you did and grab another CCC. They are cheap and easy to swap out if you can do just the most basic coding. Swapping CIC units and retaining navigation functionality is not trivial or for the faint of heart (in my opinion, having done it) as they are tied specifically to the VIN they were originally programmed to. CCC doesn't store the navigation info on an internal hard drive so BMW didn't tie it to the car the same way, at least that's my take on it.
Interesting. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
First, before anything else go to a vin decoder and look up what your car was originally installed with from factory. You say that you have CCC, but which version of it.
As already mentioned CCC comes with or without the use of external amplifiers. Do you have the small or the large display? All answers could be the reason why the unit you tried to install does not work. So once you know what version you had then compare it to the new unit you got on realoem.
Now just a followup question on your original unit. You write it freezes but radio works.
Can you play a cd and get sound from the unit? Does your unit reboot? If not then it could be something as simple as your antenna amplifier. Now we don’t have Sirius or anything like that in Europe but I assume it requires a antenna amplifier but as a separate unit from the FM antenna. You can look it up on realoem as well. Could be as simple as that.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First, before anything else go to a vin decoder and look up what your car was originally installed with from factory. You say that you have CCC, but which version of it.
As already mentioned CCC comes with or without the use of external amplifiers. Do you have the small or the large display? All answers could be the reason why the unit you tried to install does not work. So once you know what version you had then compare it to the new unit you got on realoem.
Now just a followup question on your original unit. You write it freezes but radio works.
Can you play a cd and get sound from the unit? Does your unit reboot? If not then it could be something as simple as your antenna amplifier. Now we don’t have Sirius or anything like that in Europe but I assume it requires a antenna amplifier but as a separate unit from the FM antenna. You can look it up on realoem as well. Could be as simple as that.
Radio AM/FM works, CD works, I've tried a different SAT unit and PHONE unit. My loops arrived today so I will be digging deeper soon. Thanks for the ideas.

·
2008 535xi wagon
3,062 Posts
When you swap CCC, you need to reset it to your vehicle order. The CCC units themselves are all the same for E6x.

I dug up instructions somewhere online and recoded my CCC last month. How familiar are you with NCS?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

·
BMW CCA 69606
2,287 Posts
On the "Choose ECU" screen select CCC.
This was written for my E39 to code a DSC module, but it will work on any "Exx" Bimmer of this vintage. I used it to install a used EPKS module in my 535i and retrofit a used CIC in my '08 e70.
It reads the Vehicle Order from one of the modules that stores it and then default codes the chosen module to the options listed in the FA/VO.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you swap CCC, you need to reset it to your vehicle order. The CCC units themselves are all the same for E6x.

I dug up instructions somewhere online and recoded my CCC last month. How familiar are you with NCS?
View attachment 1042962
I’m s dummy but I finally got the PC and the car talking. I think I have a decent NCS tutorial somewhere.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On the "Choose ECU" screen select CCC.
This was written for my E39 to code a DSC module, but it will work on any "Exx" Bimmer of this vintage. I used it to install a used EPKS module in my 535i and retrofit a used CIC in my '08 e70.
It reads the Vehicle Order from one of the modules that stores it and then default codes the chosen module to the options listed in the FA/VO.
Cool! Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts