BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Dakota leather used to be and still is offered in the 5-series. I think it is generally considered to be a little better quality than Montana leather, though not as good as the truly beautiful Nappa leather in the M3.

·
I love my beautiful wife.
2,151 Posts
I didn't know BMW was finally upgrading the leather in the 3 series.

From previous 5's that I've seen, their leather holds up *MUCH* better than the crap BMW puts in the 3's.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
alpinewhite325i said:
I didn't know BMW was finally upgrading the leather in the 3 series.

From previous 5's that I've seen, their leather holds up *MUCH* better than the crap BMW puts in the 3's.
Well, Dakota leather replaced Montana leather as the standard leather in both the 3 and 5. So, BMW was putting the same "crap" in both the 3 and 5 (and is again putting the same stuff in both the 3 and 5). IF you have seen cases of leather in a 5 holding up better than the 3 its either due to better car on the part of the owner, or possibly the design of the seats themselves. From what little I've seen, Dakota does seem a bit softer.

BTW, although the Nappa leather in M3s and M5s is softer, it doesn't necessarily hold up better. So, you have to decide what you mean by "better". Do you want softer, and less durable, or harder and more durable. Personally, I never understood all the fuss about Montana leather. I have it in my car, and I like the graininess and texture of it, and the fact that it seems durable (and has been for me). Most automotive leather might as well be smooth plastic. I actually prefer the Montana to the Nappa. The Dakota doesn't seem that different to me than Montana, which is a good thing IMO.

But, I still wish I'd special ordered cloth instead of leather.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
robg said:
But, I still wish I'd special ordered cloth instead of leather.
You mean the alcantara, or cloth? And why?

The Dakota leather didn't feel particularly soft at the NYIAS, but I could only put my hand on it, couldn't get any closer to the damn car with so many people in it, lol! It could have been leatherette too for all I know.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Dawg90 said:
You mean the alcantara, or cloth? And why?

The Dakota leather didn't feel particularly soft at the NYIAS, but I could only put my hand on it, couldn't get any closer to the damn car with so many people in it, lol! It could have been leatherette too for all I know.
Ideally, the alcantara w/ laser cloth (what now comes std in the ZHP package), but I would've taken regular cloth too.

Why? Because its grippier, doesn't get too cold or hot, and doesn't cost $1500 extra (or whatever it is). I don't like leatherette because it makes me sweaty in the warmer months.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
robg said:
Ideally, the alcantara w/ laser cloth (what now comes std in the ZHP package), but I would've taken regular cloth too.

Why? Because its grippier, doesn't get too cold or hot, and doesn't cost $1500 extra (or whatever it is). I don't like leatherette because it makes me sweaty in the warmer months.
The Alcantara felt really nice at the autoshow, but I love the leather in my 10 year old E36, it still feels great, so I'm leaning toward getting leather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.