BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm deciding whether or not I should get the Extended Maintenance Package on my 2008 328i..I'm approaching 50K miles. From my understanding the cost for the package is somewhere in the neighborhood of $1600-$2200. I'm driving about 15-20K miles per year.

Any opinions if purchasing this makes since?

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
IF you will need front and rear brakes including rotors, and IF you can get the extended maintenance for under $1500, you MIGHT break even.

Save your money.

And (by the way) in the US, Beemers are BMW motorcycles and BMW cars are called Bimmers. (Anyone know what a Beamer is?)

Tom

·
Registered
72 Posts
IF you will need front and rear brakes including rotors, and IF you can get the extended maintenance for under $1500, you MIGHT break even.

Save your money.

And (by the way) in the US, Beemers are BMW motorcycles and BMW cars are called Bimmers. (Anyone know what a Beamer is?)

Tom
A beamer is a high full toss bowled at the batsman in cricket! :banana:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beamer_(cricket)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was looking for more details from everyone's answers/opinions, however I think I'm better off banking the money I would spend on the extended maintenance package and just pay for the maintenance as I go. It's hard for me to believe that I will spend $2295 or more on maintenacen to my car within the next 25K miles, even if I were to replace all brakes and rotars.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
Extended *maintenance* is *NEVER* worth it.
Extended *warranty* *MAY* be worth it.
My maintenance ran out in July. A few weeks later the car was due for an old change and some other work. The bill from BMW of Manhattan was $1,200. Extended maintenance was $2,200 so I figured that at that point the extended maintenance was going to cost me $1,000 extra so I went for it,

CA

·
2020 Z4 M40i
4,621 Posts

Save your money.

Tom
Nope but here is where Beemers came from. I had a BSA lightning back in the mid sixties & BSA motorcycles were known as Beesers. BMW fans decided to call BMW motorcycles Beemers to give them a similar nickname.

·
Philosopher-king
2,195 Posts
The bill from BMW of Manhattan was $1,200.

CA
I thought Manhattan Porsche was famous for the $1000++ oil change. I didn't know BMW Manhattan had joined the club.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
For $1200.00, I'd be very interested to know what 'some other work' consisted of. I do my own oil changes, and spend less than $60 for the oil/filter. It's also the easiest car to do oil changes on I've ever experienced.
I forgot exactly what they did but I have paid for oil changes there and as I recall they are about $150.00

CA

·
Registered
2 Posts
Long time lurker and first time poster.

I've read a lot regarding the extended maintenance, and most seem to agree that it is a poor investment. I have a 2008 335xi that has the CPO extended warranty. The initial maintenance is about to expire (roughly 48,500 miles), and I'm wondering if those who drive a lot find the extended maintenance worth it.

I put roughly 30k miles on the car per year due to a long daily commute. A lot of that is highway, but there is also a lot of stop and go in the city.

Under these circumstances, any thoughts on whether the extended maintenance makes sense? I received a quote for 1795 + 6% tax (total $1902). I am all but certain to hit 100k miles within the next two years, and I'm trying to get a handle on the maintenance costs that I will likely incur during the 50-100k period.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts

I've read a lot regarding the extended maintenance, and most seem to agree that it is a poor investment. I have a 2008 335xi that has the CPO extended warranty. The initial maintenance is about to expire (roughly 48,500 miles), and I'm wondering if those who drive a lot find the extended maintenance worth it.

I put roughly 30k miles on the car per year due to a long daily commute. A lot of that is highway, but there is also a lot of stop and go in the city.

Under these circumstances, any thoughts on whether the extended maintenance makes sense? I received a quote for 1795 + 6% tax (total $1902). I am all but certain to hit 100k miles within the next two years, and I'm trying to get a handle on the maintenance costs that I will likely incur during the 50-100k period.

Figure about $300 for 3 oil changes, $200 for the 60k inspection and about $150 for one brake fluid flush.

So IF you will need BOTH front and rear brakes (including rotors) during the two year period, the total MIGHT approach $1,900.

Also, don't forget that your highway driving will mean less CBS maintenance than average.

Tom

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
IMO, there are circumstances under which extended maintenance package is worth it. I live a few blocks from a dealer that overcharges to a ridiculous degree (Pacific BMW). Some examples of their insanity include $200 for an oil change and $325 for an alignment. When I took my car in for the free oil change (my car has 43,000 miles on it) the SA recommended a coolant flush, power steering fluid change, and fuel injector cleaning (yes, I know that is worthless) and offered to do it all for the "discounted" rate of $850.

Sadly, I did buy my car there. So, if I wanted to get maintenance done there to take advantage of the free loaner, or I had developed a good relationship with a particular SA there, it might make sense to get the extended package. My guess is that if I got a steep enough discount on the extended package, and I planned on having at least one brake job and a few oil changes, I would more than make my money back (at least in regard to PACIFIC BMW's ridiculous and extreme overcharging).

Now, if I just go down the block to the independent shop and have the exact same services done, no question it would be cheaper than the package.

The sales staff at Pacific BMW are superb, btw, and my purchase experience couldn't have been more positive. But, given the overcharging on service there, it will be a cold day in hell before I purchase a vehicle there again. My guess is that I will eventually buy an X3, and I promise you that I will not even walk in the door at Pacific.

·
Combat Commuter
1,973 Posts

From 50K - 100K miles, I racked up about $1400 in maintenance costs. Almost all the work was DIY with the exception of an Indy doing f/r brakes using OEM parts at 60K miles. As it turned out, my rotors were well within spec, so they were just cleaned up for the new pads.

With the price you are being quoted, and the fact that you believe you will hit 100K before the time limit, it may be worth it to you to go with the maintenance plan - if you are due for a complete brake job.

I DIY'd:
Oil changes (except when the dealer had $80 specials)
Cabin microfilter and engine air filter
~90K mile inspection
Spark plugs

Indy:
Brake Fluid flush
OEM brake pads and sensors.
60K mile inspection

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.