BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2010 535i with 55k miles on it. I was smelling fresh gas in the garage and inside the cabin, and, turned out, the fuel rail has a hole in it and is squirting fuel pretty remarkably. Woohoo!!

Now, the dealer is claims that this fault would not be covered by my CPO, and they would charge a small amount (!) of 900 bucks to fix it! Their point is that, it is more like a hose/pipe and should not be considered as power-train.

My understanding is that, this is a cast steel part on the engine, and it would only leak (especially, at 55k miles) because of a factory defect... and CPO should pick it up.

Any thoughts on this should be appreciated. I am going talk to the service manager about it, and I could use some of your feedback.

Thanks.

·
That's Rad!
110 Posts
I would expect the CPO to cover the rail leak. I would go back and forth with the dealer about it and if they don't cover it, I would not pay them to fix it. I would have the car towed in front of the dealer to a indy to have the work done.

Only reason I head to the dealer is to drool over the new 550's.

·
Registered
424 Posts
well, devils advocate.... how did the fuel rail get a hole to being with? Corrosion, or did something puncture it? To me, a hole sounds like a puncture not a part failure under normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, devils advocate.... how did the fuel rail get a hole to being with? Corrosion, or did something puncture it? To me, a hole sounds like a puncture not a part failure under normal wear and tear.
Thanks for your view LivinSD. Given the location of the fuel rail (it is well inside the engine assembly, not exposed to handling) and given the age of the car (55k) and location (Arizona is famous for salt-free air), I don't see how a cast steel part would be punctured by wear and tear in just 55k miles without a factory defect.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Fuel system issue

It may be properly covered under the emissions warranty (think it's 8 yrs and 100K miles).
At the very least, (IMHO) its a dangerous safety issue that should be reported to the NHTSA! https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would call BMW North America and complain to them. Threaten to file the NHTSA complaint even they act ambivalent over it.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
If it's not covered by CPO, what is covered?:mad:

Sheesh, I just got a leased return car and thinking about getting it CPOed, but with so many exclusion I am not sure anymore.

·
That's Rad!
110 Posts
If it's not covered by CPO, what is covered?:mad:

Sheesh, I just got a leased return car and thinking about getting it CPOed, but with so many exclusion I am not sure anymore.
I bought a CPO Land Rover in 2006, needed to use the CPO after about the first year. However the work I needed done was not covered by the CPO warranty. I paid 3600 for the extended warranty but nothing was covered once again when I went to use it.

Honestly the money have spent on warranty extensions, CPO's, parts, wasted time on the phone, gas, etc. I declined the extended on this car but did think hard and long. After reading these post here, I'm glad I did.

Find a trust worthy indy, buy him Christmas cards each year and hopefully you won't need to use them. The indy that does work on my Rover gets Krispy Kremes when I drop my car off. They have always treated me well.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I bought a CPO Land Rover in 2006, needed to use the CPO after about the first year. However the work I needed done was not covered by the CPO warranty. I paid 3600 for the extended warranty but nothing was covered once again when I went to use it.

Honestly the money have spent on warranty extensions, CPO's, parts, wasted time on the phone, gas, etc. I declined the extended on this car but did think hard and long. After reading these post here, I'm glad I did.

Find a trust worthy indy, buy him Christmas cards each year and hopefully you won't need to use them. The indy that does work on my Rover gets Krispy Kremes when I drop my car off. They have always treated me well.
That my thinking all along.

I usually buy new and keep it for along time, so never needed CPO cause my car are always under-mileage and have plenty life in them. But just bought a used one, my indy shop where I took it for pre-purchase check says it's in tip-top shape, since it still under warranty until Sept 2014, I'll just play it by ear for now and deicide next year on ext-waranty or CPO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts