BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Is HUD really an asset or mostly gimmicky?

5202 Views 117 Replies 69 Participants Last post by  speedyman
Hello All,
I have a few questions in regards to HUD, as we are looking to purchase a newer 5 series. So I am considering whether it is an option worthy of consideration such as heated seats, which is a must for my wife and daughters.

1. Is HUD really any use with a daily driver because this is what the BMW will be used for? I can see where HUD could be useful with navigation while traveling but we reserve our Escalade for trips. So do you find HUD necessary or unnecessary with your daily driver?

2. Do you consider HUD more of a nuisance? My daughter and I found it kinda neat in the vehicles we test drove but my wife found it distracting.

3. Are the BMW HUD units highly reliable or do they suffer from issues on occasion? I just read quite a number of people complaining about having issues with their HUD units. So is it just something else that's prone to fail and will need servicing/replacement at some point?

Thanks,
Ralph
21 - 40 of 118 Posts
Same! The "how far to next turn" & directional arrows on the HUD is a really nice feature; however, for the technology in my older car, the BMW navigation is more effort than it's worth for the rare times I need it.
Easier just to ask Siri.

I wish the HUD navigation would integrate with Waze or Google Maps. I rarely use the native BMW navigation
Maybe try reducing the HUD brightness, maybe set too bright and showing the background. I sometimes notice the gray-ish background at night but it is very faint.
Yup. That's exactly the fix. I shouldn't be so lazy.

Anyway, they've integrated HUD very well in the BMW, you can choose to display other types of info there, like your radio/infotainment station list, telephone contacts list, etc
Love being able to access the contacts & infotainment through steering wheel/HUD as well. That is a nice feature.

It bugs me to drive my wife's older (2014) 328xi without one. --Bob
Same! (or at least similar). I'm also starting to feel the same way about not being able to foot sweep her rear hatch open too...lol
It's always when my hands are full that I seem to forget.
It came with my CPO car, I would not have paid for it with a new car. 3 days later, driving from Manhattan to NJ, "NJ Turnipike Closed". It's night. No detour signs. You're on your own. Get onto Rt 3, drive through roads I had been on, but 5 years ago, in the daylight, it directs me all the way. When I get to familiar territory, no problem. Love it.

Never had any reliability problems with it.
Hello All,
I have a few questions in regards to HUD, as we are looking to purchase a newer 5 series. So I am considering whether it is an option worthy of consideration such as heated seats, which is a must for my wife and daughters.
1. Is HUD really any use with a daily driver because this is what the BMW will be used for? I can see where HUD could be useful with navigation while traveling but we reserve our Escalade for trips. So do you find HUD necessary or unnecessary with your daily driver?
2. Do you consider HUD more of a nuisance? My daughter and I found it kinda neat in the vehicles we test drove but my wife found it distracting.
3. Are the BMW HUD units highly reliable or do they suffer from issues on occasion? I just read quite a number of people complaining about having issues with their HUD units. So is it just something else that's prone to fail and will need servicing/replacement at some point?
Thanks,
Ralph
We were in our friend's Lexus without Nav and she was using Waze. Was not impressed. Maybe I would need to experience it more, but I find the BMW nav pretty excellent. And in my '22, I almost always use voice input for the destination, including general point of interest, rather than actual address.
Same! The "how far to next turn" & directional arrows on the HUD is a really nice feature; however, for the technology in my older car, the BMW navigation is more effort than it's worth for the rare times I need it.
Easier just to ask Siri.
Reactions: ezaircon4jc
Agreed. BMW maps are pretty solid.

The POI database can be a bit lacking at times. But I can send from Apple Maps or etc to the car 👍🏾
We were in our friend's Lexus without Nav and she was using Waze. Was not impressed. Maybe I would need to experience it more, but I find the BMW nav pretty excellent. And in my '22, I almost always use voice input for the destination, including general point of interest, rather than actual address.
Have had HUD for the last 7 years in various BMWs and made sure wife's X3 had it too. Must have for us even if just for speed/speed limit and radio/music with steering wheel scroll.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
If ya like driving at night , the HUD is a must have for me.
The steering wheel controls in combination with the HUD is another plus for me. My two gripes on BMW nav is looking forward with the interactive maps is clunky and distracting on my 2016 and traffic is often missing or wrong, even on interstates.
I like HUD, although with the new digital dash it's more nice to have rather than must have.

Pros (my opinion):
  • It's reliable. I've had what is probably Gen 1 of HUD in my 07 650i and in the 13+ years I've owned the car no issues. Same for the 2012 X5 that I had for 7 years and 110k miles, and also no issues with HUD in the G30 which is now nearly 5 years old.
  • In the G30, I like how the color of the speed display changes from white to amber, amber letting you know you're above the speed limit. Useful if you're in an unknown area.
  • The nav turn indications have also improved over the years.

Cons:
  • Useless and even distracting if wearing polarized lenses. But it can be turned off.
  • HUD windshields cost more, something to be aware of if you plan on an out of pocket windshield and / or insist on OEM parts from your insurance company and do not have an OEM part endorsement on your policy.
Reactions: moRider
Hello All,

Thanks,
Ralph
I think the bright side is that most insurers don't have a source for non-OEM windshields when they are too specific, and are then forced to treat OEM ones the same as their preferred non-OEM ones.
A HUD-specific windshield doesn't sound like something that would be available non-OEM.
I love it on my X5 the fact it does the navigation and all is amazing especially if riding with others that are using the head unit it stays active. I don’t enjoy driving my 550 as much since it doesn’t have it.
Hello All,

Thanks,
Ralph
Reactions: SunFun
I've had HUD since BMW started offering the option in the early 00s. Didn't really want the option initially but it was already on the car in inventory that checked all my other boxes. A must-have ever since, and it's improved at each iteration. Never had any issue with it. Surprisingly, having a dirty/dusty dash (including the HUD projector screen) doesn't seem to affect the quality of the image.
I think the HUD really is personal preference. I have it in my X5M daily driver and use it exclusively over my gauges. My wife hates the HUD and prefers the gauges. I've had my car and had no issues with the HUD save the polarized sunglasses as others mentioned. I just switched to non-polarized.

I've used it for navigation and it does take getting used to. I prefer to look at the nav screen mostly because that's what I'm used to.

I really like the HUD for the speed limit and radio / track info when I want to change stations/ tracks.
Hello All,

Thanks,
Ralph
I had
Hello All,

Thanks,
Ralph

I had a 2018 BMW X3 with heads up display. The novelty worn off pretty quickly and I didn’t opt fir it in our 2022 X3. One problem, and maybe its improved, is that sunglare made it useless at times.
I have HUD on my 5 series and I love it. I wouldn't get another BMW without it. If I don't want to see it I just turn it off it's just that simple.
It's a convenience item. I find it most useful for using the thumb wheel on the steering wheel to change channels on the XM radio (favorites). I haven't had a vehicle without it for over a decade so I wouldn't order one without. If 2 of you like it and one doesn't. Just have the one that doesn't like it, turn it off when drive it (or save in their My BMW Profile). When you say "newer", you mean you're not ordering a new one? If you're searching used, don't even worry about it. Find one that has all of the features that you have to have. If you find one that doesn't, you're not used to having one so no problem. If you find one that has it, just having your wife turn it off. As far as pricing is concerned, the option is negligible as far used pricing.
I’ve had it on a
Hello All,

Thanks,
Ralph
l’ve had it on all my cars (Well not my Jeep; unavailable) since the early 2000’s and couldn’t live without it. It’s great for displaying info without having to look down at the IP. Why do you think it’s in all military aircraft? Get it, you’ll it.
Love mine….
Agree with all the positive remarks. We've got it on our 2011 X3 and it really helps me keep close :D to the speed limit. It also great with the navigation; I frequently turn the nav sound off and just use the guidance provided in the HUD. No issues with age so far. Couldn't live without it.
Hello All,

Thanks,
Ralph
Would never get a car without it if I can help it.
21 - 40 of 118 Posts