BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Is HUD really an asset or mostly gimmicky?

5199 Views 117 Replies 69 Participants Last post by  speedyman
Hello All,
I have a few questions in regards to HUD, as we are looking to purchase a newer 5 series. So I am considering whether it is an option worthy of consideration such as heated seats, which is a must for my wife and daughters.

1. Is HUD really any use with a daily driver because this is what the BMW will be used for? I can see where HUD could be useful with navigation while traveling but we reserve our Escalade for trips. So do you find HUD necessary or unnecessary with your daily driver?

2. Do you consider HUD more of a nuisance? My daughter and I found it kinda neat in the vehicles we test drove but my wife found it distracting.

3. Are the BMW HUD units highly reliable or do they suffer from issues on occasion? I just read quite a number of people complaining about having issues with their HUD units. So is it just something else that's prone to fail and will need servicing/replacement at some point?

Thanks,
Ralph
61 - 80 of 118 Posts
We have it on our 2020 X3 and 2022 Z4. We think it is fantastic, especially with the navigation. You really see the navigation maps and upcoming directions without looking down. Also like it when selecting our preset radio channels. The list is shown on the HUD and you can navigate to what you want, again without taking your eyes off the road. I did adjust the brightness to our likeness. Never had any trouble with the HUD.
No option that helps you keep your eyes on the road (and gives you the info without having to refocus your sight from infinity to close) is a gimmick.
As for turning headlights, they are beautiful. They really help in tight corners, in dark underground parkings and on windy roads.
Hand gestures - yep, a big meh in my book.
If you wear sunglasses.....you can't see it. At night.....a gimmick at best. If it was a "freebie", then cool. If you have to pay for it.......look for the next useless option like hand gestures, or the ridiculous turning headlights.
Love mine. Once you go HUD, you'll never go back...
In my country Australia the speed limit signs change ever 100 metres just crazy . i would cop high fines caught on camera if not for HUD. So valuable for getting that speed restriction right in your face no heads down.
Hello All,
I have a few questions in regards to HUD, as we are looking to purchase a newer 5 series. So I am considering whether it is an option worthy of consideration such as heated seats, which is a must for my wife and daughters.

1. Is HUD really any use with a daily driver because this is what the BMW will be used for? I can see where HUD could be useful with navigation while traveling but we reserve our Escalade for trips. So do you find HUD necessary or unnecessary with your daily driver?

2. Do you consider HUD more of a nuisance? My daughter and I found it kinda neat in the vehicles we test drove but my wife found it distracting.

3. Are the BMW HUD units highly reliable or do they suffer from issues on occasion? I just read quite a number of people complaining about having issues with their HUD units. So is it just something else that's prone to fail and will need servicing/replacement at some point?

Thanks,
Ralph
drive with un polerised sun glasses.
No option that helps you keep your eyes on the road (and gives you the info without having to refocus your sight from infinity to close) is a gimmick.
As for turning headlights, they are beautiful. They really help in tight corners, in dark underground parkings and on windy roads.
Hand gestures - yep, a big meh in my book.
Both my wife and I each keep a pair of non-polarized sunglasses in the cars for use when needed like when we're driving in unfamiliar areas and want to see the nav info. Most other times we'll use the polarized glasses.
Reactions: hardgainer
I bought a 5 series on the lot with it already installed, I would not have ordered it. After using it, I would never buy another car without it. It is one of those must have options. I absolutely recommend having it.
Hello All,

Thanks,
Ralph
Another love it post here.

I've had it on my 2 previous 3 Series and on my current G30 540. I've never had any problems with any of them. It was a must have the last 2 purchases. Wouldn't get another Bimmer without it. My wife loves it also and specifically said we're not getting another one without it.

It's amazing with the Nav with turn by turn directions, able to see the Satellite radio stations through the thumb wheel without taking your eyes off the road. Also you speed changes color to let you know you're over the current speed limit which is great on back roads where it's changing for speed traps. All this info is still on your dash but once you have the convenience you understand how good it really is.

Mike
I love my HUD and have had no problems with it. However, I have had problems dealing with insurance companies when replacing a busted windshield. One company, USAA, claimed I did not have it and therefore would not pay for it although I sent them a picture of it from the front of the windshield as well as from the driver's seat and a copy of my window sticker that listed it as one of the options I purchased. I have since changed insurance companies.
I have not owned a BMW without HUD since 2009. In my opinion it is one of the safest tools available because it keeps your eyes focused ahead of you instead of on the dashboard and worse, the center of the dashboard. I would not own a vehicle without it! If your wife finds it distracting (as it's new technology for her) in time she may think otherwise. Alternatively she can disengage it. Don't pass on this - it's well worth it.
Hello All,

Thanks,
Ralph
Reactions: hardgainer
Love the HUD and highly recommend it - never have to take your eyes off the road to check your speed. I have mine set up to show turn indicators as well. Really miss the speed display in my other vehicles without HUD.
There is a joke that used to go around the docks about a guy who ate off the dollar menu for a year to afford the down payment on a new Scarab only to find out he couldn't afford the fuel and slip fees.

Looking at on line parts costs, the difference in price for a HUD windshield for my 328i is $100. That's tip money. I paid more when my window was hit by a rock for the convenience of having it fixed while I was getting 50k service done.

BMWs are expensive to own and operate. When $100 becomes a budget issue, I'll buy a Corolla.
I've had to replace 2 windshields on my current 2021 M40 and I have HUD. Without HUD, the price was $1200. With HUD, the price was $2200.
There is a joke that used to go around the docks about a guy who ate off the dollar menu for a year to afford the down payment on a new Scarab only to find out he couldn't afford the fuel and slip fees.

Looking at on line parts costs, the difference in price for a HUD windshield for my 328i is $100. That's tip money. I paid more when my window was hit by a rock for the convenience of having it fixed while I was getting 50k service done.

BMWs are expensive to own and operate. When $100 becomes a budget issue, I'll buy a Corolla.
Probably different for other models.
... the difference in price for a HUD windshield for my 328i is $100...
I wasn't going to say anything but the price spread seems pretty consistent across BMW parts. The biggest jump I could find in a short search was on the 740i. There are five or six BMW windshield part numbers for that car and pricing is pretty varied based on HUD, driver assist, etc. Anyway, the MSRP difference for an X3 is $131. Link below. Of course it's possible that we're comparing BMW HUD to aftermarket w/o HUD to get a $1000 swing.

I was suckered into buying windshield insurance by the dealer because the HUD windshields were so darned expensive. I wish I had done my homework.
In Floriduh, windshields are covered under comprehensive insurance with no deductible Frau Putzer got two on her old Honda..
Reactions: 540dieselguy
Not OEM.
In Floriduh, windshields are covered under comprehensive insurance with no deductible Frau Putzer got two on her old Honda..
Why would the difference matter that much? Insurance would be paying anyway, no?
I've had to replace 2 windshields on my current 2021 M40 and I have HUD. Without HUD, the price was $1200. With HUD, the price was $2200.
Probably depends on your insurance coverage and location. For me, comprehensive covers windshield replacement (HUD or no HUD) with a $250 deductible.
Why would the difference matter that much? Insurance would be paying anyway, no?
Reactions: XChallengeRdr
Yeah, I would expect that any G30 would have comprehensive and be covered. I had similar when I was in PA. Now in NY I have full glass coverage so it has no deductible.

Are there states where windshields aren’t covered under comprehensive or mandated coverage (like FL)? Or are there enough people skipping comprehensive coverage, but paying out of pocket on a repair?
Probably depends on your insurance coverage and location. For me, comprehensive covers windshield replacement (HUD or no HUD) with a $250 deductible.
61 - 80 of 118 Posts