BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I hate door dings
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My spare tire is never used. I am starting to think why should it be kept brand new while the other 4 tires are being worn daily. The car is 10000miles now, the threads are almost half gone.

Is it a good idea to make use of the spare on each wheel so each tire can take a break regularly? If I do that the spare tire would have to eventually be used on both sides of the car, any problem with that?

Thanks.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
I assume your car has a full-size spare tire. Not all E46s do.

A spare is to be used when you get a flat. You then take the flat tire and get it repaired/replaced.

Why would you bother wanting to "rotate" it on the car?

·
I hate door dings
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KrisL said:
I assume your car has a full-size spare tire. Not all E46s do.

A spare is to be used when you get a flat. You then take the flat tire and get it repaired/replaced.

Why would you bother wanting to "rotate" it on the car?
Yes I do have a full size spare. I want all five tires wearing evenly.

It seems a waste putting one tire in the trunk that is never used. I don't think I need a brand new spare for emergency.

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
Think of it this way though... you'll have to replace 5 tires when they all wear out, not to mention unless you buy the same brand, at some point you'll probably have mismatched tires (or your back to buying 5 again, and probably tossing one tire out before its time...) I also view mine as a spare rim, in case I curb rash or dent one of them... (My wife has already used her "spare" rim... the dented one is now her spare tire... :rolleyes: )

The main thing to keep in mind is to check the tire pressure of the spare tire every now and then... whether it brand new looking or used, it doesn't help you at all if its low on air... ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
yamato said:
My spare tire is never used. I am starting to think why should it be kept brand new while the other 4 tires are being worn daily. The car is 10000miles now, the threads are almost half gone.

Is it a good idea to make use of the spare on each wheel so each tire can take a break regularly? If I do that the spare tire would have to eventually be used on both sides of the car, any problem with that?

Thanks.
Why not just save it, and when you buy your next set of tires, just buy three of the same as the spare, and replace the present unused spare w/one of the worn ones? :thumbup:

·
I hate door dings
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GoHack said:
Why not just save it, and when you buy your next set of tires, just buy three of the same as the spare, and replace the present unused spare w/one of the worn ones? :thumbup:

I thought about this also.

But I also heard the tires can't last too long even though it is not used. The plastic hardens and loses its grip or something? Is this true?
If true, then it is not a good idea to take the spare that hiberates for years and install it as a new tire.:dunno:

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
yamato said:

But I also heard the tires can't last too long even though it is not used. The plastic hardens and loses its grip or something? Is this true?
If true, then it is not a good idea to take the spare that hiberates for years and install it as a new tire.:dunno:
Tires will eventually dry out, but that takes 5-10 years.

Even after 5-10 years, it's perfectly fine to drive on it for 50 miles (shouldn't need to drive more than that on a spare, should you?)

·
Registered
158 Posts
yamato said:

With the tires exposed to the elements, as KrisL points out, they will eventually break down, but the spare is in the trunk and not exposed.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'b throw it into the rotation. As KrisL stated tires due have a shelf life. I really don't find it necessary to have a brand-new tire as a spare. You could run that tire down to 1/4 tread and still have plenty of life left to run several thousand miles as a spare tire.

·
I hate door dings
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bimmere46 said:
I'b throw it into the rotation. As KrisL stated tires due have a shelf life. I really don't find it necessary to have a brand-new tire as a spare. You could run that tire down to 1/4 tread and still have plenty of life left to run several thousand miles as a spare tire.
it seems you are the only one who think the same way I do. :)

which tire should I take out to start the rotation? The other four tires are already have half their tread life gone. Thanks.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Make sure the tires you already have on the car are not directional (if they are, you'll see an arrow on the sidewall showing rotating direction).

If they ARE directional (I think most tires are these days) you could only put the spare on one side of the car. heh.

Assuming you don't have directional tires, by rotating the spare in, you get 25% more tread life, but tires cost you 25% more (since you need 5 instead of 4)... plus you have to take the time to rotate it in.

I still don't see why someone would bother doing this.

·
I hate door dings
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KrisL said:
Make sure the tires you already have on the car are not directional (if they are, you'll see an arrow on the sidewall showing rotating direction).

If they ARE directional (I think most tires are these days) you could only put the spare on one side of the car. heh.

Assuming you don't have directional tires, by rotating the spare in, you get 25% more tread life, but tires cost you 25% more (since you need 5 instead of 4)... plus you have to take the time to rotate it in.

I still don't see why someone would bother doing this.
It is not directional.

My thought is not to replace the spare at all because I won't wear the spare down to 0 tread. When it wears down to 25% or something, I would stop the rotation and keep it in the trunk permanently. The idea is just to utilize some of the spare's tread to prolong the tread life of my current set of tires, rather than wasting all the spare's tread due to it shelf life...

·
Registered
395 Posts
yamato said:
It is not directional.

My thought is not to replace the spare at all because I won't wear the spare down to 0 tread. When it wears down to 25% or something, I would stop the rotation and keep it in the trunk permanently. The idea is just to utilize some of the spare's tread to prolong the tread life of my current set of tires, rather than wasting all the spare's tread due to it shelf life...
Just seems logical to me. :dunno: Also, as the car ages, you could occasionally rotate a newer worn tire into the spare location.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i always use the spare and rotate 5 tires. doing so will enable 20% longer intervals between tire replacements, and also it forces me to check air pressures on all tires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts