BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Officially Welcomed
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I see other BMWs, new or old some have the missing 325i or 550i etc missing from the rear of the vehicle. My question is, why? Did these owners purchase the car this way? Did they remove the numbers them selves?

Does any one else see this? I mean I love my BMW and sometimes when I see another one, its hard to tell if its a 3 or 5 series. Are the car owners to embarrassed to show what they are driving, wishing they had the next model up?

Just curious. :dunno:

·
resident dj
201 Posts
I don't think it is hard to tell difference between 5 and 3 series. 5's are ugly(er) ;)
Some people de-badge them just because, some try to hide what they drive. I, personally, going to put black badges on mine, because they look better on white.

I know this Russian dude, who was living here, while his dad was sending him money from russia. So this dude goes and buys brand new yellow M3 and PAYS $1,500 to the dealer to remove all M3 logos. Steering wheel, seats, shift knob, wheels, badges.... EVERYTHING.
Why? Because he did not want his dad to find out that he spent that much money on a car.... however, his dumbass did not realize that M3 is the only BMW that came in YELLOW. lol
His dad saw the car, and completely cut off his allowance. The guy is driving 98 Mazda Protege right now.

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
When I see other BMWs, new or old some have the missing 325i or 550i etc missing from the rear of the vehicle. My question is, why? Did these owners purchase the car this way? Did they remove the numbers them selves?

Does any one else see this? I mean I love my BMW and sometimes when I see another one, its hard to tell if its a 3 or 5 series. Are the car owners to embarrassed to show what they are driving, wishing they had the next model up?

Just curious. :dunno:
It's a juvenile affliction called "de-badging" wheras a person with a super-fast BMW doesn't want another super-fast driver to know what's under the hood.

Scenario: De-badged 335i that's chipped and piggied, driven by a 47 year old midlife crisis victim pulls up to a red light next to a 2003 Honda Odyssey driven by a 47 year old soccer mom. Soccer mom looks over at the tinted windows and squints her old, tired, nearsighted eyes to see who's inside.

The balding, paunchy midlifer takes this as a sign of aggression and inches up to the line, preparing to race. This is the moment. This is where de-badging really comes into play. The soccer mom looks on the trunklid, sees no badge, and doesn't know what he's packing under the hood. She thinks she has a chance to beat him. She has no such luck.

The light goes green. The de-badged 335i screams 300 feet to the next traffic light, leaving minivan mom in the dust. About 2.3 seconds later, the Odyssey is back, waiting at the light. But this time she knows better. She gives him the finger, points to his bald head, and laughs her ass off at the comedy of a 47 year old executive trying to act like he's 22.

BJ

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
It's a juvenile affliction called "de-badging" wheras a person with a super-fast BMW doesn't want another super-fast driver to know what's under the hood.

Scenario: De-badged 335i that's chipped and piggied, driven by a 47 year old midlife crisis victim pulls up to a red light next to a 2003 Honda Odyssey driven by a 47 year old soccer mom. Soccer mom looks over at the tinted windows and squints her old, tired, nearsighted eyes to see who's inside.

The balding, paunchy midlifer takes this as a sign of aggression and inches up to the line, preparing to race. This is the moment. This is where de-badging really comes into play. The soccer mom looks on the trunklid, sees no badge, and doesn't know what he's packing under the hood. She thinks she has a chance to beat him. She has no such luck.

The light goes green. The de-badged 335i screams 300 feet to the next traffic light, leaving minivan mom in the dust. About 2.3 seconds later, the Odyssey is back, waiting at the light. But this time she knows better. She gives him the finger, points to his bald head, and laughs her ass off at the comedy of a 47 year old executive trying to act like he's 22.

BJ
Thanks BJ for sharing your experiences with the soccer moms!

·
Registered
215 Posts

BJ
hahaha.. Thanks for that one! :rofl:

·
Ultimate Driving Machine
2,208 Posts
haha, pretty funny especially coming from someone who proclaims to own a '428'.

BJ

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
haha, pretty funny especially coming from someone who proclaims to own a '428'.

De-badging is pointless. Re-badging is the schnitz.

BJ

·
Registered
206 Posts
Debadging is for those who appreciate Palladian values. They also tend to purchase 335s and M-series cars because the tailpipes are also balanced.

·
Too Beaucoup
335 Posts
This topic has been discussed several times already, but...

despite the presumptions made by some, a debadged car isn't always about portraying an image to other drivers.

My 325 is debadged. Why? Because when I had the trunklid repainted (someone had scratched the paint :mad:), the shop asked me - leave numbers off or on?
I like the clean look, so I'm leaving them off - for now anyway. They can go back on anytime with no hassle.

·
Le fabuleux destin
568 Posts
It's very common in Europe...so common it's an option. I do it as it looks much cleaner. Also, I like as little advertising as possible on the back of my car, so no license holders or dealer stickers for me.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Unless the owner, well goes overboard with modding, I can always tell which bimmer which it is!

·
I'm a PC
131 Posts
FWIW I debadged my Z4 and don't race soccer moms. The only comment I ever got was from a DE event where someone said "Whoa! You debadged your car, cool!"

·
BigTime Defender
337 Posts
My biz partner for some stupid reason, rebadged his 528i to a 545i. Why? I have no friggin idea.

Debadging I can see for the clean look. Rebadging is a sign of issues, *looks at BJ's post*.

·
Porleau
1,560 Posts
When the number go back on...

This topic has been discussed several times already, but...

despite the presumptions made by some, a debadged car isn't always about portraying an image to other drivers.

My 325 is debadged. Why? Because when I had the trunklid repainted (someone had scratched the paint :mad:), the shop asked me - leave numbers off or on?
I like the clean look, so I'm leaving them off - for now anyway. They can go back on anytime with no hassle.
I've seen a number of BMWs (and MBs) where it was obvious that someone had put the number back on because they are erribly out of place (e.g. wong side, way too high, etc). I've always wondered what happened. Was the car in an accident and the shop screwed up? Did someone do a bad job of rebadging? Who knows. The funny thing is that it seems as though this is most common on the previous 7 series models.:dunno:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
De-badging

BJ
As usual, BJ shows his lack of understanding of BMW culture. De-badging is extremely common in Europe, particularly Germany (BJ you claimed to have visited there numerous times and you missed this?). It has to do with the German culture of not showing to your neighbors/friends, whether you bought the high priced series or low priced series.
The 3 sedan/coupe/convert comes in many more engine configurations in Europe than in the U.S. De-badging of Mercedes in Europe is also extremely common. Re-badging (a 3 entry vert to a "4" is comical and shows total lack of status. Savvy??

·
Officially Welcomed
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, look what I started!!! So let me get this straight. You de-badge for mainly two reasons:

1. Status "look"
2. Cleaner look

Am I correct? So solefald said that it cost his Russian neighbor $1,500 to de-badge his BMW. So is this the going rate to de-badge? Is it really worth it? I prefer to see what's under my hood. It's not a biggie for me, its still my car and I still get looks from guys and chicks alike. Even living here in L.A., I pulled into a TOGO's sub shop next to a Starbucks in Glendale. Two guys in their mid-40ies were looking right at me and held their look. I thought they were coming on to me. JK (Not my type!!) And this chick leaving the Starbucks looked me up and down. I'm 30yo, so maybe that might be it. IDK. Furthermore Glendale has one of the nations largest population of Armenians. They see BMWs all the time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
In order to take out all of the M logos from the Russian guy's M3 he had to do a lot of exterior and interior work. I'll put my money that the interior was what cost so much. I'm living in Germany and my dealer asked me if I'd like mine de-badged when I pick it up. Like they said, its pretty common in Germany to de-badge. At least for me, its just creates a cleaner look. Its going to be beyond hard to hide the fact that the car is a 328 because of the tailpipe alone. I'm not trying to hide it or pretend I have a different model or a modded out car, it just looks smoother.

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
Wow, look what I started!!! So let me get this straight. You de-badge for mainly two reasons:

1. Status "look"
2. Cleaner look

Am I correct? So solefald said that it cost his Russian neighbor $1,500 to de-badge his BMW. So is this the going rate to de-badge? Is it really worth it? I prefer to see what's under my hood. It's not a biggie for me, its still my car and I still get looks from guys and chicks alike. Even living here in L.A., I pulled into a TOGO's sub shop next to a Starbucks in Glendale. Two guys in their mid-40ies were looking right at me and held their look. I thought they were coming on to me. JK (Not my type!!) And this chick leaving the Starbucks looked me up and down. I'm 30yo, so maybe that might be it. IDK. Furthermore Glendale has one of the nations largest population of Armenians. They see BMWs all the time.
No, that's not it at all.

3. So that other cars driven by other 50-something teenagers that you may want to entice into a "race" don't know how many horses are under the hood.

BJ

·
Too Beaucoup
335 Posts

1. Status "look"
2. Cleaner look

From postings I've read here and e90post, the majority of those who debadge are doing it for a cleaner look, and some have said it's easier to detail.
I'm sure some do it for the "status look", though I fail to see how that works.

Now, if you want to identify the "status look" people, look for the "rebadgers"; phony M logos and model numbers on bimmers.
The irony with that is that 5% (if that much) of the population care what you drive. Maybe half of that can recognize different types of 3 series, or 6 series, etc. and will spot your car as a phony wanna-be. Who you trying to impress? :rofl:

So...debadge if you want. Rebadge is for poseurs.

·
Officially Welcomed
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, that's not it at all.

3. So that other cars driven by other 50-something teenagers that you may want to entice into a "race" don't know how many horses are under the hood.

BJ
Race? I'd rather race a $20k car over a $40 car. Why would I want to do something so stupid with my beautiful car? :dunno:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts