BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not really a specific question, but does apply to me..

in case I have to go for a E92, am i at a disadvantage if I choose a 2007 CPO 328i instead of a 2008 or 2009 (when the time comes)?
of course the 2007 would be cheapest, but because it's the 1st year of the E92, would it have more glitches, quirks than 08 and 09 for example?
did anything get "fixed" for 08 and 09 that was problematic in 2007? I read thru stuff here and didn't see anything like that, but i could have missed something...

i also read here that BMW have been cutting corners somewhat and making some small details disappear from the later yrs ..in that case 2007 ones would have all those "little" things...

for me, mechanical dependability and less glitches > creature comforts and "newness"...

so I'd like to hear what E90 series owners think....

·
N54
3,427 Posts
The E90 chassis (sedan) came out for MY06. So the base of this platform had been laid a year prior to the E92 coupes coming out.

And you're on solid ground with the engine as well. It's a variant of the Inline 6s that BMW has been producing for years.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Well if you bought a 2007 335i when it came out, you would be having the same problems as those who are buying the 2009-2010 versions.

I always think it's best to wait a year. The 2006 Porsche Cayman had some issues that the 2007-2008 models don't have-same car, basically.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will never buy a 335i any year - Overkill for me, and a waste of money in USA: I don't ever see myself driving the 335i as if I was in Germany - (I did live in Germany for 11 yrs or so...but had no 335i :) )
I need a regular daily driver that has some class, great handling and still be not too flashy and expensive to maintain - I think the right choice for me is 328i coupe. looks like I should try to find a 2008
(OR, if I can find one, a 2004-2006 low mile 330Ci)

...i didn't realize that the E92 coupes have 200 lb-ft torque vs 214 lb-ft torque of a E46 330ci coupe - wonder why they reduced the torque while gaining 5 hp over the E46 330 ci engine...

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
"I will never buy a 335i any year." Nor will I. You are correct: overkill and a complete waste of money.

When I was in the army I left a trail. Could you be one of my 17 possible unreported sons? We think alike.

I was stationed at Fort Bragg. So the trail begins in North Carolina.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I usually avoid purchasing the first version of anything. I like to let the early adopters find all the bugs and issues. I look into a purchase after the dust has settled.

There are exceptions, though. Some times, I am a willing participant of the "beta testing". But it has to be something I really, really like and that I would not mind failing on me.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You guys have it all wrong. Sometimes the first year is the best. Look at the e90. The 330i was only made for North American market for the '06 model year. No HPFP issues and the best version of the naturally aspirated inline 6 to hit our shores. A classic no doubt :)

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
There are exceptions to be sure, but I do believe it's prudent to wait a year.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right. so, from a performance standpoint, what's the advantage of increasing hp while sacrificing torque? in around-town driving, isn't low end torque what gives you some zip?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok - thanks, Beenthere.
I just felt a little pang thinking that my 1997 Tbird v8 has 280 lb-ft max. torque coming at just 2,500 rpm ...and that the 328i has "just" 200...but something must make these cars quick, no? I am trying not to lose hope here - i need to test drive one... (The Tbird is 3,995 lbs heavy, though, so I guess 200 lb-ft can move the lighter 328i pretty ok...)

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
I doubt it. :rofl:

so... any comments on why the torque went down for the E92 comp. to E46?
Good. That's a relief. I want to get a Porsche Cayman. Child support would change that to a Kia.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL - isn't that the guy who killed his whole family back in 1973 or something?
(I remember reading "A Fatal Vision" at some point...)

I think Dr/Capt. JM is still in prison...

·
Registered
341 Posts
LOL - isn't that the guy who killed his whole family back in 1973 or something?
(I remember reading "A Fatal Vision" at some point...)

I think Dr/Capt. JM is still in prison...
Yes it is, I got wrapped up in his case after watching Fatal Vision. I did as much research as I possibly could and I even went to Law School (not for only that reason)

I still occasionally check in try to read the lawyer's briefs, see the writs, court documents etc.

I personally think he is innocent, and I dont agree with the court when they found Helena Stolesky's (sp?) testimony inadmissible (then I again i personally hate most of the FRE)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was obsessed with that case for a while, too: I just like true crime stories, although I will be graduating from Pharmacy school in May 2010, never had anything to do with law ... I also still check on JM's website once in a while...weird how he gets all those young chicks to like him!

There's one website where they have released a bunch of pics from the crime scene: pretty gruesome stuff.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,826 Posts
This is not really a specific question, but does apply to me..

in case I have to go for a E92, am i at a disadvantage if I choose a 2007 CPO 328i instead of a 2008 or 2009 (when the time comes)?
of course the 2007 would be cheapest, but because it's the 1st year of the E92, would it have more glitches, quirks than 08 and 09 for example?
did anything get "fixed" for 08 and 09 that was problematic in 2007? I read thru stuff here and didn't see anything like that, but i could have missed something...

i also read here that BMW have been cutting corners somewhat and making some small details disappear from the later yrs ..in that case 2007 ones would have all those "little" things...

for me, mechanical dependability and less glitches > creature comforts and "newness"...

so I'd like to hear what E90 series owners think....
The '06 E90 has had relatively few "new design" glitches. As a matter of fact, I'm picking up one on Saturday and I'm not concerned about it being the first model year, which is somewhat unusual for me, because I generally avoid first year models.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts