BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no tools and willing to buy some in order to work on my own suspension...that is if it is worth it.
Can yoy guys direct me to a thread that will list tools needed and step by step instructions?
Thanks!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks cardriver..btw i shoukd gave my New bumper cover on...had a failed shick and of course broken mounts. Getting parts from andysouth...this forum is great!!!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Many of us have done this many times...
Many, many, manymanymany times. Haha. It's definitely a little daunting your first time but what isn't? :dunno: Definitely doable if you like to work on cars and are willing to put some time into research on the process and money into the tools. The above linked, links are pretty much the same exact sites that I looked into and read my first time so definitely an excellent place to start! And as always, if you have any questions throughout the process don't be afraid to ask. Hell if you end up doing it and get stuck halfway through I'll give you my contact information and I'll try to walk you through it over the phone! haha.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
LOL... yeah, ManyManyMany times. I think my personal best was rears, shocks and springs, outside and in the snow, 30 minutes per side. :lmao::lmao:

·
Registered
490 Posts
LOL... yeah, ManyManyMany times. I think my personal best was rears, shocks and springs, outside and in the snow, 30 minutes per side. :lmao::lmao:
Now THAT is impressive!!! haha. *hands trophy for fastest E34 strut swap in the world* :rofl:

·
BMW CCA Memeber #445389
3,287 Posts
I did all four springs and struts and control arms in 3:45

Flat.

Sent from Joe's iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Nah. Suspension work is technically easy but heavy and dirty. Just nuts and bolts work but large, tight, often rusty nuts and bolts.
Buy or rent a GOOD spring compressor and follow the safety guidelines, there are potentially fatal forces involved with changing coil springs.
A search will certainly direct to write ups. A service manual, Bentley is preferred, will have everything you need to know about this and lots more. Buy or download one.
Add some hand cleaner and band aids to your shopping list.

·
BMW CCA Memeber #445389
3,287 Posts
I didn't compress the spring enough (I thought I had it clamped down HARD) and when the nut came off the shock the spring blew the mount off. It grazed my face when I ducked but chipped a solid 3in gash in the cinderblock wall behind me. I could have been seriously hurt or killed, I consider myself crazy lucky for that one. Be safe!

Sent from Joe's iPhone using BimmerApp

1 - 11 of 11 Posts