BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
5,871 Posts
Starting a thread in the wrong forum's gonna cost you plenty!

·
Running around in circles
3,638 Posts
No more than a 1985 Yugo.

·
Banned
5,871 Posts
$12.34

·
Banned
5,871 Posts
Its under off topic?
Did you look at forum descriptions? This is a place in the forum where we old farts re-live our youths through the antics of PhillipWOT, Jetter and DJ Inhale....

The car stuff you want is here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114

oh, and better give more background on the car: millage, condition, etc.

Now, post up a story about absolutely nothing at all and you'll get traction in here...

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
mentioning the name BMW is exspensive. and it is exspesive maintaining any BMW especially when it is older.

the older it gets the more in falls apart,hows your trim going?

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
mentioning the name BMW is exspensive. and it is exspesive maintaining any BMW especially when it is older.

the older it gets the more in falls apart,hows your trim going?
Up to last year, I had a 1990 535i and it wasn't too expensive to keep going. But this is an M6. They only made a few thousand of them.

How about a water pump for that S38 motor?

·
Registered
26 Posts
"Depends on what the definition of is is"

Well, expensive is a relative term. Maintenance on BMWs from the 80s is more expensive than most made afterwards; as they require valve adjustments, along with (for some) timing belt replacment, and other misc. items which are no longer part of the equation. In the case of an "M" car. we're talking high performance, and (for the most part) limited production cars. That translates to higher cost parts when compared to regular production type cars. Multi-throttle engines with multi-valve technology and mechanical lifters, replacing brake parts, clutches, and other wear items can certainly get into more dough than your neighbor's Toyota or Chevrolet.

These are not cars that your average mechanic wants to (or should be allowed to) monkey with. An independent BMW shop where the guy has been decorated with BMW's equivalent of the Distinguished Service Medal (with Clusters) is where you should take a car like an 87 M6.

Maintenance is different from repairing broken stuff. Repairing and replacing stuff on anything nowadays is expensive. As I said though, what's expensive to one person is a shrug of the shoulders to another....

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yes, it's expensive. I miss my M6--I don't miss the money I poured into her. Some biggish ticket items that you will eventually have to deal with are:

1. Timing chain replacement
2. Steering box bracket fix
3. In-tank fuel pump
4. AC

Those are just the things that are most top of mind and which will almost always need to be replaced. If you find a car that's already had those things done, great. You just saved a ton of bucks. But with any old car, things will always be breaking. The electricals often get funky too. And I guarantee that you'll want to put a short-shift kit in there--the M6 has one of the longest throws of any BMW I've ever driven. Then when it comes to smogging the car, you'll likely run into issues. They tend to run rich--a problem with my particular car and one that was never fully solved.

·
Banned
14,951 Posts
and you will need a broom handle to hold the trunk open ;)
the shocks wear out due to the weight of the trunk spoiler not found on the other 6's

1 - 17 of 17 Posts