BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Reprogramming? It modulates well but there's way too much of a delay in throttle response. It screws up my heel-toe downshifts and makes mid-corner corrections too abrupt. I got spoiled by the instant response and perfect modulation that my 2000 Corvette's DBW provided. Do the aftermarket chips improve on this? :dunno:

20,210 Posts
Mashuri said:
...Reprogramming? It modulates well but there's way too much of a delay in throttle response. It screws up my heel-toe downshifts and makes mid-corner corrections too abrupt. I got spoiled by the instant response and perfect modulation that my 2000 Corvette's DBW provided. Do the aftermarket chips improve on this? :dunno:
It does need re-programming. DBW on the ///M cars is fantastic w/ SPORT on

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
I totally agree! I have heard that the Dinan software helps. Also the 325/330 shark injector is suppose to fix that as well but that has been a long time coming.

Tim

·
Old Timer
1,002 Posts
ata-boy. you're so unfair.

you do realize, of course, that in combination with the most aggressive DBW setting, that you also have 5 more throttle bodies than whatshisname who started this post?

:D

at least it's a consistent complaint.

but we wouldn't have that wonderful DSC if it were not for DBW throttle.

·
3,762 Posts
I wonder if they improved the throttle response, beginning with the 2002 model year? My 330i (as well as my wife's) doesn't have the lag that you speak of. Both are 2002's.

I drove an earlier Z3 with an automatic, and the throttle lag was horrendous. Didn't know if that was because it was an automatic, or not...

·
non sequitur
888 Posts
I have a 2002 325i, and do not know of this "throttle lag" that you guys speak of. ;)

My pedal is getting sticky, but no lag.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, mine is a 2003 and the lag is quite noticable. Could it be improperly tuned from the factory?

·
Registered
404 Posts
If yours is a 2003, then it is only a few weeks old, right? Just give it 1000 or so aggressive miles on it and the ECU would learn and adjust to your driving habits. :thumbup:

Of course, this won't be easy to do when you're supposed to be gently breaking-in your new car in the meantime also. :p

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
visor said:
If yours is a 2003, then it is only a few weeks old, right? Just give it 1000 or so aggressive miles on it and the ECU would learn and adjust to your driving habits. :thumbup:

Of course, this won't be easy to do when you're supposed to be gently breaking-in your new car in the meantime also. :p
Well I'm going to break it in properly but I'll be testing the rev limiter a lot afterward. :eeps: When the hell is that Shark Injector gonna finally be produced???

·
Registered
889 Posts
fuz said:
I have a 2002 325i, and do not know of this "throttle lag" that you guys speak of. ;)

My pedal is getting sticky, but no lag.
Pretty much the same for my 2002 325i too. I plan on having the pedal done with the first scheduled maint next month. Sunroof rattle too.

It seems as if the brand of fuel makes a difference too. The car is more responsive if I use Sunoco 94. Maybe the knock sensor is in the logic loop? Very well could be my imagination too. :dunno:

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
I have a May '01 production car (MY01 also) and have no issues with the throttle. I got the sticky pedal fix of course, and that certainly improved things overall, but I've never had throttle lag issues. :dunno:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I don't have lag or sticky pedal. I suppose I wouldn't mind a recalibrated throttle tip-in, but even that isn't a big deal. I'd rather not have a really agressive tip-in that feels like I'm driving an Oldsmobile.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kaz said:
I don't have lag or sticky pedal. I suppose I wouldn't mind a recalibrated throttle tip-in, but even that isn't a big deal. I'd rather not have a really agressive tip-in that feels like I'm driving an Oldsmobile.
That's more what I'm talking about: The throttle tip-in. I give kudos to Oldsmobile for properly calibrating their throttles if that's how they behave. I'm used to a machine reacting to my every movement. If I press in the gas pedal a little bit I expect the engine to immediately respond to that movement. As it is now I find it impossible to smoothly rev-match my heel/toe downshifts and find off/on throttle adjustments midcorner to be too abrubt.

·
Old Timer
1,002 Posts
kaz-a-mongous:

...you're being too generous to oldsmobile, dude.

when i push on the throttle: nothing happens for awhile.

·
10,856 Posts
To decrease lag, reset the battery when you put gas in. You'll be surprised at the difference. That said, it's omnipresent. I just think Kaz is insensitive. ;)

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Re: kaz-a-mongous:

pdz said:
...you're being too generous to oldsmobile, dude.

when i push on the throttle: nothing happens for awhile.
You ever drive a domestic car? 80% of the throttle is in the first 10% of pedal travel. What's the point of having the rest of the travel? :dunno:

And I swear my throttle has NO lag as long as I don't use Shell/Texaco gas.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Re: kaz-a-mongous:

Kaz said:

You ever drive a domestic car? 80% of the throttle is in the first 10% of pedal travel. What's the point of having the rest of the travel? :dunno:

And I swear my throttle has NO lag as long as I don't use Shell/Texaco gas.
The Corvette is a domestic car and I can assure you it doesn't use a variable ratio throttle body. The LS1 was tuned and programmed very well. I could use it without having to think about it. The Bimmer I have to constantly think about modulating correctly. It's distracting and certainly makes it less than the "Ultimate Driving Machine." :dunno:

·
10,856 Posts
The 'vette is a rare exception in domestic cars. :p

Unfortunately, BMW has been having trouble with a lot of this stuff lately.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You ever drive a domestic car? 80% of the throttle is in the first 10% of pedal travel. What's the point of having the rest of the travel?
I think there are two issues here: (1) the lag or delay from accelerator movement to engine response, and (2) the non-linearity in throttle response some cars have (as Kaz mentioned above).

Many cars have very non-linear throttle response. I drove an Infiniti G35 and about 80% of the throttle response was in the 1st 10% of pedal travel. By contrast my 2003 330i SP 5-speed is much more linear: additional pedal movement generates more engine response, across the pedal arc.

However my 330i sometimes has a slight delay when pressing the accelerator. Not all the time, but sometimes at highway speed in 5th gear when I press the pedal there's a slight delay. I don't notice it at other speeds.

-- Joe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts