BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 330ci, and I'm thinking about buying the new 330 when it comes out in May, but I'm not sure if I lke the new dash. The exterior I like, performance is very likely to be noticeably better with the more powerful engine, handling will probably be just as good or better, but the dash is killing me! I look at the dash on my E46 and think...this one looks so much better!

For those of you who have seen the E90 in person or in pictures, and maybe even have an E46, what do you think?

:mad:

· Registered
58 Posts
iDrive is the new driver centric design?

If you've seen the dash of the E60, you've pretty much seen the interior of the E90....

There has been a lot of grumble about BMW abandoning the "driver centric" dash; the center consol being tilted towards the driver etc... However, I don't think they threw away one of thier crown jewels that make up a BMW... Rather, they tried a new approach to the driver centric concept...

Lets forget about the center dash being tilted for a moment... A driver centric interior means that all the controls in the car is situated so that it's easiest and least confusing for the driver to access the controls in the car.. I have an E36... Its my first BMW and I really, really love that center dash... I can trouch and control pretty much anything in the car without looking down and my hands does not really leave any of the primary control of the car: the steering wheel and the gear shifter. And this is what you want to achieve with a "driver centric design": being able of access all/most of the controls without distrupting the major controls...

I think what BMW tried to do with the new generation cars is that the driver centricness is achieved by iDrive... If the drivers do get used to it to the point where they can control the iDrive without looking, you are achieving the driver centric layout: access all/most controls without disrupting the major controls... That's why BMW started putting controls on the steering wheel, introduce a HUD and... the iDrive.

Then, BMW got so much flack by people who whine at the iDrive they had to make it into an option... So, the BMW without the iDrive is missing one of the key elements that's supposed to provide that driver centricness... And that is why the car seems to have lost that driver centric concept and thus looks boring...

J

· Registered
57 Posts
Actually it does look plain with the black/aluminum interior. However, I sat in one with tan/wood and it was NICE. I am normally not a 'wood' person, but I have to admit this looks very classy. My wife refered to it as a classy German interior. I agree that the dash board has gotten simpler, however it the materials themselves are nicer in quality.

· Registered
112 Posts
sweylo said:
Not only is the E90 dash plain and boring, but it lost its uniqueness. The E46 interior was vastly different from any of its competitors' interiors. The E90's, on the other hand, looks generic, and I think it looks just like the Infiniti M interior (see pics below).
I see what you're saying. They both chose to go with a more rounded steering wheel and a central positioned gear-shift as well as a color screen at the top of the middle stack for the navigation system.

:loco:

· Registered
2011 X5 diesel, 397,000kms as of January 2022
922 Posts
I like the new dash. I think the dials are kind of old-fashioned, but in a classy way. The straight lines that the dash are built on are BMW's thing these days, I like it. I might even order iDrive if I can read up on it first and try it out a bit. I like the second hump.

· Registered
122 Posts
Do you mean boring or ugly, or both? The central section below the nav screen is an eyesore, while, as a whole, the dash completely fails to speak luxury.

So... it's best to forget about the way it looks and to focus on the way it drives. It really is too bad, isn't it?

· Registered
2011 X5 diesel, 397,000kms as of January 2022
922 Posts
Er-um-I think y'all need to think about driving this car first...Remember the engine redesign is going to blow your minds, for pretty much no extra $$$, 215 horses on the 325 and 255 on the 330.

· Registered
10,766 Posts
I've sat it several e90s. The dash is ugly with or without a nav. It would look good as the new Toyota Camry interior. To me, it just screams cost savings. Its too bad, because the interior is a bit more solidly constructed than the e46; but the design just seems sort of cheap and ugly. I do like the knobs for the climate controls-- that's one thing they did right. THe cupholders in the dash are stupid and look ugly too.

· Registered
4 Posts
Change is good...err

If anyone has already noticed, the E90's dashboard is similiar in design to the new 5-series's dash (and maybe other series too if I paid more attention). It may very well be that consistency in this area across the series lines was chosen by design.

My opinion is the E90's dash is probably too classy and is better suited for the new 5-series or higher. This is based on my feeling that the 3-series should be more sporty in design and feel than perhaps the higher series which have a more stately persona.

Time may tell however because initially the design of the E46 was not especially striking to me when it first came out. But after noticing its lines more often through the years and especially when I was in the market for another car, I now find the overall design of the E46 to be one of the most beautiful in the auto industry today. After I became a proud owner of one, well the love just grew even greater.

The new E90 is gonna take me a while to get used to. Maybe if I stare at it more often...what do you think? :D

· Registered
10,766 Posts
trafficjam said:
If anyone has already noticed, the E90's dashboard is similiar in design to the new 5-series's dash (and maybe other series too if I paid more attention). It may very well be that consistency in this area across the series lines was chosen by design.

My opinion is the E90's dash is probably too classy and is better suited for the new 5-series or higher. This is based on my feeling that the 3-series should be more sporty in design and feel than perhaps the higher series which have a more stately persona.

Time may tell however because initially the design of the E46 was not especially striking to me when it first came out. But after noticing its lines more often through the years and especially when I was in the market for another car, I now find the overall design of the E46 to be one of the most beautiful in the auto industry today. After I became a proud owner of one, well the love just grew even greater.

The new E90 is gonna take me a while to get used to. Maybe if I stare at it more often...what do you think? :D
Agree on the e46-- I now think it has one of the nicest dash designs. Like you, I didn't like as much when it first came out-- I thought it looked cheap compared to the A4. Now, i think the E46 has a nicer dash. However, I reallly don't think the current BMW dash design (in the e90, 60 and 65) will grow on me. THe e65 dash still looks ugly and cheap, as does the e60's. THe e90's dash actually seems a little less cheap feeling than the other 2, but the overall design is still not pleasing.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.