BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear tires seem to be wearing much faster than my fronts. This is the first car that I have ever had that happen to. Is this normal? I keep them inflated according to the door jam.

I'd like to make the switch to S03s, but it would seem like such a waste to replace the fronts right now. Will Contis on the front and S03s on the rear adversely effect the handling?

Thanks.

2001 330i w/ sport package

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
ESS said:
I'd like to make the switch to S03s, but it would seem like such a waste to replace the fronts right now. Will Contis on the front and S03s on the rear adversely effect the handling?
It wil probably make you even more prone to understeer as the S-03s are grippier than the Contis. Other than that, you probably won't have any real problems. The genreal rule of thumb is to make sure that the fronts are the same type and the rears are the same type. It's nice when the fronts and rears match too, but its not needed for typical street driving.

·
10,856 Posts
In the short term, there's no reason not to. As Clyde said, handling will be mediocre... But it will be awesome once you get the fronts worn out. BMWs are very prone to wearing out the rear tires. I balded the rear tires (.5mm tread left!), while the fronts still had 4 or 5mm on them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had the same decision to make. Based on the feedback I got I decided to change all 4 at the same time.

That said, anyone want to buy a pair of slightly used 8080's?

Perhaps we could start a pool of slightly used front tires that others who fall on hard times can pull from to create complete sets. ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I normally wouldn't be so hesitant to replace all 4, but the fronts look practically new compared to the rears. I have approximately 16K miles on them and I think the fronts can go another 15K, but the rears only about 5K at the most. You would think that I've been doing burnouts or something.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
ESS said:
I normally wouldn't be so hesitant to replace all 4, but the fronts look practically new compared to the rears. I have approximately 16K miles on them and I think the fronts can go another 15K, but the rears only about 5K at the most. You would think that I've been doing burnouts or something.
That's why you should rotate them now:thumb: . It should balance out in the end.

·
Registered
196 Posts
ESS said:
Do you do primarily city driving?

I find that the more highway miles I do, the closer my front and rears wear... makes sense.

·
10,856 Posts
Here's my two further cents:
WHy not replace the rear tires and see how you like it? There;s nothing stopping you from going right back to the tire shop and having them take off your front Contis.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I probably do about 70% city driving. Maybe I should just replace the rears with new Contis and when the new ones wear out the fronts should be worn out also. I was just anxious to get the highly praised S03s.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
ESS said:
Rotating is not an option. I have the sports package therefore different size fronts and rears.
oops:lmao: , I didn't see that you had a 330. Well, perhaps another option would be to get 2 new contis, and by the time the new rears wear out, the fronts will be gone as well?:dunno: Believe it or not, I've seen people rotate the staggered setup:tsk:

·
10,856 Posts
KP said:

oops:lmao: , I didn't see that you had a 330. Well, perhaps another option would be to get 2 new contis, and by the time the new rears wear out, the fronts will be gone as well?:dunno: Believe it or not, I've seen people rotate the staggered setup:tsk:
I wonder how that handles, truthfully. Certainly would help understeer. :D

·
10,856 Posts
KP said:

Woudln't it be oversteer?
Yep. Oversteer beats the hell out of understeer, though. At least when it's dry.

·
10,856 Posts
clyde325xiT said:

Brake harder :bigpimp:
Seriously. I wore out my brake pads and tires at the same time. :D

Edit: Only took me a little more than 10K miles to do it, too. :bigpimp:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts