BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 323i and fuse #34 for the instrument cluster says that it should be empty based on the fuse card but when I take the fuse out of it my instrument cluster doesn't work properly. My light where the gears shift doesn't come on and some of the cluster doesn't light up...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OMG ok so ive had a variety of different post on the forums about my tranny going into limp mode & the check engine light being on but now i am totally STUMPED! I decided to put the fuses the way the are supposed to be based on the fuse chart which i did confirm is the correct chart...i removed #34 & i installed #10 both are for the instrument cluster...well most of the cluster except the clock display window stopped working...no gauges nothing...BUT no more limp mode!!! I dont have a scanner so i can't scan for codes to see if the check engine light is still giving a code or if the other codes have cleared but i am litterally SHOOK!

How much of this car is electronic? Should i leave the fuses where they are supposed to be & troubleshoot from there? Or put them back where they were & the instrument cluster is working but the tranny isn't?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Bimmer

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should also note when i first got the car some fuses were missing so i put them in...some stuff started working and other stuff stopped...but i remember not going into limp mode before i noticed the gauges werent working when i changed the #34 fuse... But other things are wacky also...for example with all the fuses in my seat belt light doesnt go off and for some odd reason my high beams light never comes on...i just thought maybe just MAYBE that the issue isnt my tranny...

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Bimmer

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a number of empty fuse slots, but I have never had an issue with my car electronics so it has never occurred to me to fill them up. Are they supposed to be filled up or is it a matter that some other models have different requirements?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a number of empty fuse slots, but I have never had an issue with my car electronics so it has never occurred to me to fill them up. Are they supposed to be filled up or is it a matter that some other models have different requirements?
From my understanding different models have different requirements based on what options are on the car but i thought the instrument cluster was pretty straight forward

F

Fr

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm even more confused then before now...I did a reset on the cluster and tranny...then I pulled the #10, 34, & 43 fuses for the instrument cluster and put them back in and now my high beam light works again...and my seat belt light went off when before you always remained on....but not it never comes on lol....I also got a air bag light now...I drove around for awhile and it took a while to go into limp mode but it eventually did go into limp mode...it was running VERY ruff...this leads me to believe maybe limp mode would come back if I drove it long enough with the #34 fuse out as it should be according to the fuse card...I just dont know why conditions keep changing....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.