BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got the car less than 2 weeks ago. It wasn't until after I'd been driving it that I saw what bad shape the windshield is in. There are millions of little scratches on it, they're only visible when the light shines on it at a certain angle. At first I thought I'd have to replace the windshield, but then it occurred to me, maybe the imperfections can be buffed out using a power drill + compound, similar to resurfacing the headlights? Has anyone done this? I took a pic, it was hard to capture the true extent of all the scratches and dings. There are millions of them, but this photo gives an idea. The windshield is perfectly clean, both sides.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,439 Posts
I disbelieve that a satisfactory restoration of a pitted windshield can be done. The entire area would have to be optically flat to more than the depth of the deepest pit. Otherwise the thickness variations are refraction variations that we see as waviness.

I have a pound of cerium oxide that I use for annual windshield cleaning, and like yours, mine has a zillion pits, not so many scratches. Never run your wipers across a dry windshield, lubricate it with the washer first to prevent scratches.

Coatings like AquaPel, that I use, do a pretty good job of filling in the finest pits and scratches.

Reactions: Jonahson

·
Registered
1998 E39 523i se auto
51 Posts
Windshields can be professionally polished, but I'm not sure if the process will eliminate the pitting ... best to ask a professional for an inspection/opinion.
Alternatively claim on your insurance & get the screen changed?
nb. If you go for that option make sure the fitter follows BM's fitting procedure ... failure to do so can result in wind noise.

·
Wingnut
4,116 Posts
basically, if one can feel the scratches with the edge of a fingernail, its scratched too much. if its polishable, ceruim oxide is the way to go, be careful of overheating and causing the glass to crack..

·
Member Supremo
1,600 Posts
I mean. New glass from Pilkington, Sekurit, etc is not super expensive.

You just need a good installer and a few $100.

Unlike my past F10... That was $1700 after a rock hit.
My E39? $200 out the door. ha.

Reactions: Jonahson

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mean. New glass from Pilkington, Sekurit, etc is not super expensive.

You just need a good installer and a few $100.

Unlike my past F10... That was $1700 after a rock hit.
My E39? $200 out the door. ha.
A couple hundred I could handle. I've got to do something about it. It's so riddled and pocked that it's REALLY difficult to see out of when the sun shines straight through it. So bacisally during the day.

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 195 K miles
1,737 Posts
I'd replace the whole windshield, at a car body shop. It should cost you about a couple of hundreds $.
Many years ago when I had it replaced, a BMW dealer booked $250 for it...but then ate the cost, because my car was still under the 60-months warranty.

·
Registered
‘89 325i, ‘98 528i, ‘99 528i, ‘03 325i
81 Posts
I suppose it’s not the case for you, but in many states (I’m in SC), windshield glass is automatically covered by one’s auto insurance policy. For me, all I have to do is go to the Safelite web page, enter info and schedule an appointment for them to come to my address and change the glass with no deductible. We don’t have vehicle inspections or emissions testing but everyone has clear windshields.

I had to buff hard water spots away once, and they were significant. I used a rain-x branded buffing concoction. It worked but it worked better when I used a towel underneath my random orbit sander. Really need to pay attention though if you wind up trying power tools. I wasn’t cutting glass like you seem to need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts