BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it pre-wired for bluetooth?... No, installed Parrot.

Mine is 2005 3.0 X3 with sports package. Its Canada spec car; I know all US spec were pre-wired in 2005 but not sure if Canada spec ones were too. It does have the "talking-face" and R/T button on steering but nothing happens when I press them. Now I have two unplugged connectors (one black and other white) in the roof box where the pax airbag light and sunroof buttons are). I am *guessing* they are for BMW assist button and microphone. I opened the left panel below the rearmost window and there is nothing in there, no unplugged cables, no modules, just nothing. How can I find out if the car is pre-wired for bluetooth or not? I could not find any sticker/label anywhere in trunk area either. Where should I be looking for it? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, there is no box in that location. I am just wondering if my car is pre-wired or not for bluetooth before trying to retrofit. Is there anyway I can find that out. I can see unplugged cables in roof-liner box but nothing in the left rear panel so I am kinda confused :-(

· Registered
3,895 Posts
Is there anyway I can find that out. (
You could give your VIN to a dealer and they might be able to confirm that you have the pre-wiring.

Sounds like in a 2005 w/o Prem. Package, as you don't get BMW Assist, they left out the "integrated phone communications" box in the rear 1/4 panel.

But I would certainly expect all the Bluetooth (and BMW Assist) pre-wiring to be there.

The unused wiring in the headliner at the front is only a minor part of it.

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could give your VIN to a dealer and they might be able to confirm that you have the pre-wiring.

Sounds like in a 2005 w/o Prem. Package, as you don't get BMW Assist, they left out the "integrated phone communications" box in the rear 1/4 panel.

But I would certainly expect all the Bluetooth (and BMW Assist) pre-wiring to be there.

The unused wiring in the headliner at the front is only a minor part of it.
Yeah its w/o prem. I am surely hoping to have the wiring there, though the absenceof any trace of cable in the rear panel is not encouraging.

· Registered
3,895 Posts
By putting your hand in from where the detachable panel sits, as far forward as you can, are you sure there is no fat cable harness with a large plastic connector?

It's likely zip-tied out of the way to avoid it rattling around.

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just went to garage to take a closer look, also did put my hand as far in as I could. There are two bunch of cables in there, one goes into the black box which is fastened into the panel wall; I am not sure what that is but it looks like some sort of controlling unit though its nothing like the pictures I have seen of bluetooth module and its at a different location too (the sidewall of panel between toolkit and rear seats). The second bunch of wires go through the side panel to just behind the tail lamps and then up towards the roof. There is no loose connector anywhere. I guess its not pre-wired then eh?

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Supercourse, just read your replly twice; the connector that goes in to the black box in sidewall is surely a big plastic one. Could that be the assist/bluetooth module then? Though the location is quite not the same as they say in other posts in the forum.

· Registered
3,895 Posts
Could that be the assist/bluetooth module then?
It is either a BMW Assist-only module, or the combination one.

For the first part of the model year, I think they were fitting the separate Bluetooth module as shown in that earlier link.

(Before that, you could not have both Assist and Bluetooth together at all.)

Later in 2005, they started fitting a new combined Assist/Bluetooth module which probably looks different from either of the original boxes.

Whatever, I am sure that harness has the Bluetooth pre-wiring in it.

Keep in mind that if you do have to get the separate Bluetooth box (from a wreckers or somewhere), it will probably only fully support phones from that 2005 era, and even then, you would probably need to somehow get the latest s/w upgrade for that box loaded by the dealer - starting to sound really expensive.

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is either a BMW Assist-only module, or the combination one.

For the first part of the model year, I think they were fitting the separate Bluetooth module as shown in that earlier link.

(Before that, you could not have both Assist and Bluetooth together at all.)

Later in 2005, they started fitting a new combined Assist/Bluetooth module which probably looks different from either of the original boxes.

Whatever, I am sure that harness has the Bluetooth pre-wiring in it.

Keep in mind that if you do have to get the separate Bluetooth box (from a wreckers or somewhere), it will probably only fully support phones from that 2005 era, and even then, you would probably need to somehow get the latest s/w upgrade for that box loaded by the dealer - starting to sound really expensive.
Uhmm.... looks like I will be having a chat with them about it in my next visit. Thanks a ton Supercourse.

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay. I made a trip to dealer this morning for the pax airbag thing (another thread here) and asked them whether my car is pre-wired or not. Well, its not. Apparently this is called option#640; and my car does not have it. It sucks. I still do not under stand what those wires are doing in the roof liner box but they say the car doesn't have that option so I can not install a bluetooth module without ripping the car apart and laying cables for it. If anyone is thinking about this, please make sure you have the option#640 listed in your car's data with dealer. Thanks everyone.

· Registered
518 Posts
Okay. I made a trip to dealer this morning for the pax airbag thing (another thread here) and asked them whether my car is pre-wired or not. Well, its not. Apparently this is called option#640; and my car does not have it. It sucks. I still do not under stand what those wires are doing in the roof liner box but they say the car doesn't have that option so I can not install a bluetooth module without ripping the car apart and laying cables for it. If anyone is thinking about this, please make sure you have the option#640 listed in your car's data with dealer. Thanks everyone.
Did you check here for a 3 pin microphone connection?

Or here for the 54 pin and antennae connectors?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.