BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a flawless and amazing experience in Munich, I'm beginning to wonder about BMW's operations stateside.

Our ED arrived Brunswick on 5/30. For the last two weeks no-one has been able to confirm where the car is.
-Last week we were told it had "just" cleared customs.
-Earlier his week no-one seemed to know exactly where it was.
-Today we're told it hasn't cleared customs yet.

We've received the title-- does that make sense?

The story is that Homeland Security has slowed down processing. For a month?

Anyone have any insights or info?

Many thanks!!

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
Okay... I have to answer your question w/ a question.

DOES IT MATTER??!! Does it matter where is the car??

Yes... I know you'll say "..Hell Yes!! It matters.."

hold on there young skywalker... The answer is "NO IT DOESN'T"

Why??!!:dunno: Because you DON'T have your car and there is NOTHING you can do about it.

Yeah... I know you are now saying "F******* beewang of course there is something I can do about it... I can pick up the phone and starts cursing and yelling people and get the ball moving. .." right??!! Wrong!!

If the Custom still has your car... Please give it your best shot at yelling at them... if you can get them on the phone at all. Unless your Dad is the Secreatary of DHS or anyone above that... maybe

If BMW has your car, you gotta trust me when I tell you that they are moving the car (processing) Very rapidly in a systematic way... No!! There is NO CHANCE that your car is sitting in the corner lot because someone forgot about it.

If you car has damage... then your car is being repaired for Quickly (assuming parts is available).

No one is slacking off in the BMW world, they've been doing this for decades and its just clock work at this point.

My suggestion as always... keep yourself interested in other things in life.

Cheers,

beewang:bigpimp:

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
Our ED arrived Brunswick on 5/30. For the last two weeks no-one has been able to confirm where the car is.
-Last week we were told it had "just" cleared customs.
-Earlier his week no-one seemed to know exactly where it was.
-Today we're told it hasn't cleared customs yet.
Where are you getting this information from?

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is very similar to what's happening in Port Hueneme. BMW ED department just told me there are 4 ED cars including mine stuck at Department of Agriculture from a ship that arrived May 27 (Triton Leader). So today is Day 29. The BMW ED rep assured me that BMW was doing everything possible but when a ship of fruit arrives at the port they stop work on cars.

It's one thing to say "be patient" when it's not your car; tougher to actually do that when your car is the one held while payments are being made and the warranty/free maintenance is counting down.

Does anyone know if non-ED cars go through Department of Agriculture inspections?

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
...It's one thing to say "be patient" when it's not your car; tougher to actually do that when your car is the one held while payments are being made and the warranty/free maintenance is counting down. ....
I don't think that is a FAIR statement for anyone at this forum. Listen!! We have all "... Been there!! Done That!!.." What I have said... I speak from experience. Its not that "MY car(s) via ed wasn't held-up. Its not like MY money is worth any lesser than yours! Nor is my warranty not expiring as each day goes by... LOOK!! We are all talking about the same thing here and just telling you from experience. Keep yourself busy as there is NOT a DAMN thing you or I can do about it.:)

beewang

·
Ultimate Driving Machine
2,208 Posts
I think ED cars are the bottom of the priority for Customs. Let's face it...there is no deep pocket money behind ED cars. BMW has been paid. Customs knows that if a big company's containers are held up in customs, they are going to hear about it and get pressure from superiors...that row of used BMWs gathering dust outside....they can wait because there is no big money interest behind them. Besides, they make a good place for Customs workers to take their breaks and listen to music.:p

·
Registered
750 Posts
This is very similar to what's happening in Port Hueneme. BMW ED department just told me there are 4 ED cars including mine stuck at Department of Agriculture from a ship that arrived May 27 (Triton Leader).
Mine took three weeks to go through the Department of Agriculture inspection last year.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I love reading Beewang's wisdom-filled prose.

But I really empathize with Stan01. Anecdotally at least, it appears there may be a trend of longer time to get on a boat, random long delays at Customs, and periodic holdups at the VPC, especially on the west coast.; A 6-8 week wait is hard enough, but a 12 week or 14 week wait, combined with the additional expense of (in most cases) paying for a car not in your possession, is a little much. The uncertainty, of course, makes it worse. Additionally, the total lack of control one has in trying to get these situations resolved makes it that much worse. Bee is right: there is nothing you can do.

Are the current negative economic forces having a real impact on the delivery of our ED cars? Are BMW cutbacks and Federal Government downsizing pushing realistic redelivery times back by two or three weeks or more? Is there something BMW could do if they wanted to better the situation?

After hearing all these stories recently, I am having a slight reticence about my next ED, which I am currently planning.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Our redelivery took three weeks longer than I originally anticipated. Next time (There will be a next time!) I will plan for delays getting on a ship, in port, and getting delivered to our dealer. I will call the BMW ED people directly because they have better information than our CA can get. I understand that I can't do anything to speed the redelivery process, so I will be a lot more patient next time.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
Besides, they make a good place for Customs workers to take their breaks and listen to music.
:rofl: The VDC workers would never notice the customs people coming in, taking the keys, and sitting in the cars for their breaks :rofl:

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was told yesterday by the BMW ED desk that there are BMW employees (or agents) at the ports and in New Jersey whose job is to ensure smooth flow of cars through the import process. Makes sense; BMW would not be sitting by patiently if a shipload of 2000 unsold cars was held up in customs for a month. I was told that these employees are now aware there are 4 ED cars that have been in customs/agriculture for 30 days at Port Hueneme. Will they be able to do anything to get the cars released quicker? Would they be involved if I hadn't called BMW? I don't know, but I'm glad that they are at least "now aware" there is a problem.

If your car has been at the port for over 3 weeks I would suggest a polite call or email to the BMW ED desk.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
Does anyone know if non-ED cars go through Department of Agriculture inspections?
In theory any car might go through the Dept. of Agriculture inspection but only used cars will typically get physically inspected at all as new cars pre-clear while en route.

The number of cars held for more intensive inspections (such as yours) is very few.

·
Registered
192 Posts
:rofl: The VDC workers would never notice the customs people coming in, taking the keys, and sitting in the cars for their breaks :rofl:
How would the VDC know what's happening to the cars when they are with customs/agriculture? BMW employees are not allowed anywhere near the cars until they are cleared.

There was a report from a BimmerFest member last year that his M3's speakers were blown and equalizer settings maxed when he finally got the car 16 weeks after dropoff. I suspect that's what TGray5 is referring to.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
How would the VDC know what's happening to the cars when they are with customs/agriculture? BMW employees are not allowed anywhere near the cars until they are cleared.
That (not being "anywhere near the cars") would be impossible.

BMW cannot process the cars until they are cleared but that's different.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
I was told yesterday by the BMW ED desk that there are BMW employees (or agents) at the ports and in New Jersey whose job is to ensure smooth flow of cars through the import process. Makes sense; BMW would not be sitting by patiently if a shipload of 2000 unsold cars was held up in customs for a month. I was told that these employees are now aware there are 4 ED cars that have been in customs/agriculture for 30 days at Port Hueneme. Will they be able to do anything to get the cars released quicker? Would they be involved if I hadn't called BMW? I don't know, but I'm glad that they are at least "now aware" there is a problem.

If your car has been at the port for over 3 weeks I would suggest a polite call or email to the BMW ED desk.
A shipload of 2000 new cars won't get held up in customs, typically. This is all done electronically - it's not as if people are at the ports shepherding cars through. :dunno:

·
Registered
192 Posts
That would be impossible.

BMW cannot process the cars until they are cleared but that's different.
OK, I just reread your VDC blog post, and you wrote that the cars (at least in the VDC you visited) are physically stored by BMW until they are cleared. That makes me feel a little better than if they were in a customs lot somewhere.

·
Got Roundel?
331 Posts
Im going through the same issues :(
My Car arrived at the port on May 18th, since it was a European Delivery (I couldn't take due to Ash Cloud back in mid April) it had to go through customs and didn't clear till June 4th. PCD was set for June 21st which was a Monday and wouldn't work for me, so it was requested to be shipped to the dealer that is 4 hours away from the port.

As of today June 23rd I still have not received my vehicle or seen any sign it assigned to a truck. I have now made my 3rd payment on this car and still don't know what it even looks like. This car has been in the united states for more than a month now and I still cant get it. I'm stuck paying for a rental

Is there anything I can do or any suggestion to resolve this issue? Can I drive down to the port myself? This whole ordeal has tested my patience and frustration has started to kick in.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
So I think you are saying the ED cars going through customs and agriculture are physically stored at the VDC building/lot but are roped off or otherwise separated so BMW employees don't touch them until clearance is given?
If you look at the ninth slide in the slideshow in this article, you will see where my car is in the customs hold line. The slides prior to that show the trip from the port to the VDC.

Inside BMW***8217;s Vehicle Distribution Center 4 February 2010

The BMW Vehicle Distribution Center (VDC) is the point of entry for all BMWs, Minis, and Rolls-Royces arriving in the United States. Join The Diesel Driver on an exclusive, behind-the-scenes tour.
The final chapter of our ***8230;

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
OK, I just reread your VDC blog post, and you wrote that the cars (at least in the VDC you visited) are physically stored by BMW until they are cleared. That makes me feel a little better than if they were in a customs lot somewhere.
I presume you mean the article in The Diesel Driver magazine and I just posted a link to the article (probably almost at the same time you made your post) - and I'm glad that this makes you more comfortable with the process (as it made me).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts