BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
HappyBimmerOwner
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 328i (1999). The tires aren't even a year old but when I'm driving along at a slow speed (5-60mph) it sounds like the rear left driver side tire is warped. I thought I had a flat tire it was so bad. I looked for a nail or screw in it and found nothing. Rubbed my hand over it and didn't feel any lumps either. I checked the air pressure for all and they're at 35lbs. I did have a problem with that same wheel smoking at one point and getting hot but that seems to have stopped; still warmer than the other tires, which don't heat up at all, but not hot. I have a check engine light that codes say it's the O2 sensors I have to get serviced. The check engine light goes off and on after running for a while, say 10 miles at high speed. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
In my own cars again
1,402 Posts
Swap your tires left-right or front rear. If the noise follows the tire, the tire is the problem.

If the noise stays at that corner after the tires move, there is another, non-tire problem.

Is it a grumbly-scrape-y kind of sound, or is it a helicopter what-a-what-a-what-a sound? The former would lean towards brake issues, the latter would lean towards wheel bearings....

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I did have a problem with that same wheel smoking at one point and getting hot but that seems to have stopped; still warmer than the other tires, which don't heat up at all, but not hot.
Did you determine why? Was the e-brake or caliper seized up and causing this smoking? If so, the noise you hear could be a failing wheel bearing. When you overheat the bearing, as it sounds like you may have, the grease finds its way out of where it needs to be and then the bearing isn't properly lubricated. When this happens, the bearings will eventually fail and start making noise.

If after a drive you are feeling more heat on this corner than the others, I would suggest you have it checked out sooner rather than later. Allowed to reach a critical point, this can be a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Check the temperature of the wheels after your usual drive. As others have said, caliper/brake, wheel bearing and another remote possibility escaping heat from the exhaust system. Definitely, you should never drive the car with your tire's heat problem....very unsafe.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts