BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Read Only
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 1999 540i has been leaking drops of oil. Nothing so severe that it requires me to top off my engine oil. But it is not a pleasant scence on the driveway, having drops of oil all over the place.

I took the car in to the dealership and after inspection, they said, I need new Gaskets. Valve Cover Gasket and some other Gasket, i forgot exactly. But very common for 2 gaskets to be replaced when one or the other is having work done on.

Do I trust the dealership and consider my this e39 a vehicle with a gasket problem? or do you recommend me take it in to a INDY shop?

This dealership, i've been customers with for many years, and they impress me more and more every time I have my car serviced.

They are the first BMW dealership in the United States, does that say something about trust? Perhaps a maybe!

Let me know what you think please! they quoted me a good Thousand Dollars to cover part cost and labor (8 hours) to do this entire job.

Is it worth it? Well my car is 165,000 Miles on it. VERY VERY CLEAN! purchased it myself from Florida from a one owner, i have all records on file since day 1.

Over $3,000 Dollars of work was done to the cooling system, from new radiators, to all the hoses, fan clutch, blade, etc. a little over a month ago.

Anyway, should i just live with the drops of oil, or actually spend a grand to fix this issue?

Is this a big turn off if i ever decide to sell the vehicle?
Thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Do I trust the dealership and consider my this e39 a vehicle with a gasket problem? or do you recommend me take it in to a INDY shop?
Changing gaskets is not a complicated job, I'm sure a good Indy can handle it...and you'll probably save about $300.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just had the Valve Cover Gasket changed by the independent shop where I have our vehicles serviced for our 2001 BMW 525i, and it costs $374.81, before tax. In my case, there was a burning smell coming from the engine area of the car, and the fix was to have the gasket changed. (My service advisor stated that in most cases, a burning smell indicates an oil leak within the engine).

·
Registered
15,904 Posts
The upper timing case gaskets leak. In order to do them, you should also replace the valve cover gaskets.

Only you can decide if the leak is worth fixing at $1k.

BTW, I believe Max Hoffman, in NYC, was the first importer of BMWs.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If the quote is for the valve cover and upper timing cover gaskets and associated seals, and refinishing the valve covers then I'd say it's worth it. Have them replace the belts and water pump while they're at it - should only add the cost of parts, since they need to remove them to do the work anyway.

·
Read Only
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the quote is for the valve cover and upper timing cover gaskets and associated seals, and refinishing the valve covers then I'd say it's worth it. Have them replace the belts and water pump while they're at it - should only add the cost of parts, since they need to remove them to do the work anyway.
The water pump was replaced earlier this year in April. Along with thermostat assy, oil pan gasket, center link, drive belt and a/c belt. Should I be ok then??

·
Registered
224 Posts
Eight hours of labor sounds right for VC gaskets and upper timing cover gaskets. You can probably get it done for less at an independent shop, but $1k at the dealer is not out of the ballpark. Make sure that the cost of refinishing the valve covers is included in the cost, as the paint has a tendency to flake off.

I know that you trust the dealer, but get the estimate in writing before agreeing to the work. Don't let them get your car disassembled only to come back and say there is another $2k worth of work that needs to be done to make it right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.