BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
540i Guy
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about deleting the two rear cans and replacing it with a 3" pipe is this setup too loud??, I want my car too sound heavier and have a little rumble but still appeal classy I don't want it to be obnoxiously loud where you can hear it 200 yards on the public road like a Riced up Civic...what are your opinions please and thank you

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
I was thinking about deleting the two rear cans and replacing it with a 3" pipe is this setup too loud??, I want my car too sound heavier and have a little rumble but still appeal classy I don't want it to be obnoxiously loud where you can hear it 200 yards on the public road like a Riced up Civic...what are your opinions please and thank you
Are you going to hang fuzzy dice on your rear view mirror to complete the look? Simply removing the mufflers will make your car sound like some low rider. If you really want to "improve" the sound of your car, get a Magnaflow or other aftermarket exhaust system. Search Youtube for videos and sound of the various exhaust systems.

·
540i Guy
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you going to hang fuzzy dice on your rear view mirror to complete the look? Simply removing the mufflers will make your car sound like some low rider. If you really want to "improve" the sound of your car, get a Magnaflow or other aftermarket exhaust system. Search Youtube for videos and sound of the various exhaust systems.
So you think that car that's has V8's sound like lowriders?? o_0
So I'm guessing this sound like a lowrider to you too huh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsm2h_1551Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Please don't take offense. You asked for an opinion and you got it. I am sure you will impress some folks with this mod. And others will simply shake there heads and wonder why? I can never understand why folks would do things that to an e39 but there is no accounting for taste. To each, their own...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey mike,do it. You'll love it! I bought a $1200 rdSPORT EXHAUST system for my 540i,but after hearing my car with just the factory resonator I am gonna sell my system and just do a custom quad tip setup. I promise you your car will sound mean! But its only when you step on it. Just smooth if your easy on it

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
If you already found what you like, why bother with other's opinion. Just copy what was done.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I straight-piped my car from the resonator back (muffler delete). I love it. I kept the low profile look of having my exhaust tip in a turn-down fashion just behind the bumper. I was only charged $40 to have my muffler cut off, and ss pipe welded in its place at a local muffler shop. IMO, my car sounds perfect. Has a nice V8 rumble when I step on it but it's completely quiet while cruising on he freeway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ya.. my car sounds great too... no need for a muffler or any other aftermarket contraption. I also have my turndown hidden behind the bumper. $60 bucks and you woke your beast up.

·
540i Guy
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please don't take offense. You asked for an opinion and you got it. I am sure you will impress some folks with this mod. And others will simply shake there heads and wonder why? I can never understand why folks would do things that to an e39 but there is no accounting for taste. To each, their own...
None taken at all my man!.. I just think your comment about these cars sounding like lowriders was a bit over the top lol.. I searched for some YouTube videos aswell appreciate your feedback and opinion on the matter..

·
540i Guy
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In reading these replies I think I'm just going to go ahead and do it, can't wait to hear the results, thanks guys for your feedbacks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Report back and let us know how you like it! And the good thing is, if you aren't happy with it, it's easy to go back to stock. Just keep your mufflers.

·
540i Guy
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just finished getting my muffler deleted today and wow does it sound like a friggin BEAST...the y-resonator does it job in keeping the sound to a medium level not too loud or not too quiet..no drone either..once you step on it then you will hear a loud V8 screaming at you lol just petfect, even the mechanic was impressed, getting compliments already.. got a thumbs up at the stoplight from a guy driving a 335i e90 ...I think if I removed the resonator it would sounded extremely loud and raspy

·
540i Guy
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wanna do the Same to my 540. How does it sound from inside the car, or on a drive by?
Inside the car its sounds good you start hearing a slight growl once you start to accelerate but once you get to like 40 mph and start cruising its total silence unless you decided to punch then it begins to screams at you with a V8 tone, its almost like you can adjust the sound of it by the gas pedal...on a driveby say for example if you 200 or 100 yards behind a car and start to accelerate the person won't hear it until you get to like 50 yards or so, so its not a loud oncoming scream like a Riced up civic..this mod pretty much wakes your car up un a classy yet beastly way..

·
Registered
762 Posts
Just finished getting my muffler deleted today and wow does it sound like a friggin BEAST...the y-resonator does it job in keeping the sound to a medium level not too loud or not too quiet..no drone either..once you step on it then you will hear a loud V8 screaming at you lol just petfect, even the mechanic was impressed, getting compliments already.. got a thumbs up at the stoplight from a guy driving a 335i e90 ...I think if I removed the resonator it would sounded extremely loud and raspy
You have any tips on that or is it just bare from the resonator back?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts