BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Is my 540iT grill/rad missing something here?

1065 9
Cleaning old leaves and acorn shells (guess PO had squirrels) out of the lower bumper grills the other day and was interested to find the little flappy-door vents on the passenger side and behind the plate holder that apparently opens up at speed to allow better ventilation while closing up at rest... uhhh to keep squirrels out I guess????

Anyway so I moseyed over to the drivers side and found a big square open spot. Kinda looks like something is missing? Tried again to surf realoem pics but with no real success... This is the kind of detail you can't count on in the generic illustrations.

Am I supposed to have something there or not? A plastic grill maybe? Another flappy door panel thing?

Flappy Door On P Side

Is Something Missing On D Side?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
I have noticed the same thing on mine.
The drivers side seems like there is a piece missing :dunno:
I usually try to clean it out every couple months lol
Hmmm. Interesting. Now I'm going to be crawling down in front of every 540 I come across. More votes needed... Sure LOOKS like something goes there...
where does the active cruise control device go on the european models?

G~
Mine is just like that too.
The flaps are there to open when you're driving and to be forced closed by the air pressure generated by the aux fan when it comes on at high-speed so all the air it forced thru the condenser and radiator.
Ahh I figured the open when driving but didn't make the aux connection. Wicked smaht.

Guess that other gap is factory then. I'll still be looking though... Looks "wrong" but some things just do. Like the E46 drugbin which looks like it needs a cover or something put there.
Mine is just like that too.
The flaps are there to open when you're driving and to be forced closed by the air pressure generated by the aux fan when it comes on at high-speed so all the air it forced thru the condenser and radiator.
98 540i here with the exact same missing component on the drivers side!
:rofl: I've seen my friend's! (He has a 330)
Like the E46 drugbin.
Sometimes those Germans get it right. Don't know what they were thinking when it came to that hole. I've been thinking about putting some screen in there to keep all of the leaves and cigarette butts from getting sucked up.
Ahh I figured the open when driving but didn't make the aux connection. Wicked smaht.

Guess that other gap is factory then. I'll still be looking though... Looks "wrong" but some things just do. Like the E46 drugbin which looks like it needs a cover or something put there.
The thing is there's weird plastic clippy stuff around the edges that is what really looks like something is spozed to clip in there. Hopefully I'm back in Europe next month, I'll hunt down a few E39's and peer into them. Unfortunately hard to find the big motor cars over there if it's just a 540 thing, but if I'm in Switzerland maybe I can find some retired bankers wife driving one around...
Sometimes those Germans get it right. Don't know what they were thinking when it came to that hole. I've been thinking about putting some screen in there to keep all of the leaves and cigarette butts from getting sucked up.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.