Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For more than a year without fail, my 540 would always make a whining noise when ever the wheel was turned to the right. Turning left is perfectly silent. Recently though, the whining has been getting worse and a lot of times it’s constant on startup. The steering has also gotten slightly heavier. The fluid level is at the full mark and it’s perfectly clean, in fact it was changed in July.

Owning a BMW is always interesting

·
Under the lift arms
12,946 Posts
sounds like a pump.. BUT the steering box should be inspected b4 you replace it,

how is the pitman, idler, and drag arms ?

just make sure something is not binding or bent

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like a pump.. BUT the steering box should be inspected b4 you replace it,

how is the pitman, idler, and drag arms ?

just make sure something is not binding or bent

Quick reply, i like it. I had a mechanic check over the front end for something unrelated and he said that everything was fine up there. Not sure about the box though. How would I check that?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I do need to replace the pump what brand should I get and where. Fcp doesn’t have an oem brand

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If I do need to replace the pump what brand should I get and where. Fcp doesn’t have an oem brand

I would go with the TRW if it was me. It has a lifetime guarantee as do all their parts plus its $552.84 less than
the rebuilt BMW labeled one.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/540i/PS-Pump/?year=2000&m=20&e=188

Didn't TRW supply the center link on the 540i originally from the factory..?
I remember reading that in a thread some time back, I think it was edjack that mentioned it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would go with the TRW if it was me. It has a lifetime guarantee as do all their parts plus its $552.84 less than

the rebuilt BMW labeled one.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/540i/PS-Pump/?year=2000&m=20&e=188

Didn't TRW supply the center link on the 540i originally from the factory..?

I remember reading that in a thread some time back, I think it was edjack that mentioned it.

I know that fcp labels the lemforder center link as the oem part. I’m going to do some more hw before I figure out what to do. If it is the pump, the only thing I’m worried about is the bracket. I remember reading multiple posts saying that the ps pump bracket is a weak spot

·
Registered
1,222 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back on topic, why could it be whining only on right hand turns? And it only whines when the engine revs up

·
Under the lift arms
12,946 Posts
well... whinning sound on only one direct can be caused by something binding and the pump having to work harder..

OR

the seals on one side of the pump are bad (If someone parks a lot with the wheel turned)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts