BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the dealership where I bought my car, it seems that they are chaning service advisors like some people change clothing :rofl:. Anyhow I calle the most recent guy to set up an appointment and asked if there are any outstanding recalls affecting my car. He said he would need my key for that? Is that correct? I would have thought that you could tell based on the VIN and BMW's system as to what is outstanding!

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah u can run a check with a vin.. but im sure he was lazy and didnt want to type all those number in so he wants the key instead! or then again i might be wrong:dunno: lol
Thanks that is what I am trying to figure out. I have a hunch he was being a lazy ass.

·
Sleeper Wagon
729 Posts
What info is available via Key vs VIN#?

Not sure how they do this...

I called my dealer to get a 12 month oil change and they told me "good timing - they just announced a fuel injector recall for your year car. Bring it in and we'll see if it needs it." (it did - replaced under warranty)

I go there regularly, see the same person, they know my VIN and they are not lazy. Maybe they actually need to look at more detailed information available via the key or the actual part serial #.

Would be interested in what the community knows...

·
Registered
286 Posts
At the dealership where I bought my car, it seems that they are chaning service advisors like some people change clothing :rofl:. Anyhow I calle the most recent guy to set up an appointment and asked if there are any outstanding recalls affecting my car. He said he would need my key for that? Is that correct? I would have thought that you could tell based on the VIN and BMW's system as to what is outstanding!
what year is your car? and what model? i have a website for bmw where you can look up all the recalls in the last few years...

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Not sure how they do this...

I called my dealer to get a 12 month oil change and they told me "good timing - they just announced a fuel injector recall for your year car. Bring it in and we'll see if it needs it." (it did - replaced under warranty)

I go there regularly, see the same person, they know my VIN and they are not lazy. Maybe they actually need to look at more detailed information available via the key or the actual part serial #.

Would be interested in what the community knows...
Which dealer are you using?
cheers
vern

·
Sleeper Wagon
729 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
My first 3 years of BMW ownership I went through a half-dozen SAs. I've now had the same one for over a decade, and I'm probably closer to him than any other service provider in my life. I refer all my friends and family to him, send him a small gift basket at Christmas, etc. In turn he knows all the cars I've ever owned, even the non-BMWs.

SA turnover is almost as high as for the CAs. When you find a good one stick with them and treat them right. I probably trust him/value his opinion more than my doctor, lawyer or accountant.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I use circle BMW in Eatontown NJ. My SA is a nice guy and has done a lot for me when having my 7 series serviced. I do however get the feeling they were giving me a little attitude for not buying my 5 series from them. I tried to but I didn't for a few reasons:
1. They didn't have what I was looking (535xi or 550i M sport) (can't locate either)
2. I got such an amazing deal I couldn't pass it up
3. I can do with my money whatever I please

So I was rubbed the wrong way the last time I was there and haven't been back since but rest assure when I do go back I'll address that issue right away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.