Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 192 K miles
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for the traction and tires aficionados here :

My car (2001 E39 540i Sedan) had always used the BMW approved P225/55-R16 tires.
Replacing my tires, a local tires shop installed the "P225/60 R16 102 H XL" set of new tires they had on sale. I am not sure if they did it by mistake or oversight. And I cannot see this specific size P225/60 R16 listed on that black plate by driver's door on the car.

Question : is that technically OK ? or should I go back and return these new tires ?? :dunno:

Registered
Change them, they made a mistake.
Your speedo will be affected a bit and they just dont fit.

Registered
Quick question for the traction and tires aficionados here :

My car (2001 E39 540i Sedan) had always used the BMW approved P225/55-R16 tires.
Replacing my tires, a local tires shop installed the "P225/60 R16 102 H XL" set of new tires they had on sale. I am not sure if they did it by mistake or oversight. And I cannot see this specific size P225/60 R16 listed on that black plate by driver's door on the car.

Question : is that technically OK ? or should I go back and return these new tires ?? :dunno:
Google search for a "tire size calculator"...then run a comparison to see how far off the new tire sizes are.

If they are within 3% (+/-)...then the difference is small and wont affect traction control/ABS systems and the speedometer will only be off by a small percent.

Anything over 3%...starts pushing things beyond the recommended limits.

Again...just simply google for a "tire size calculator" and run the numbers. If you are uncomfortable with the difference...then return to the store immediately to discuss a plan of action before you rack up too many miles on the tires...especially if you're leaning toward returning them.

Good luck

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
So, the diameter and the speed are about 3.5 % off. I will keep them.
Thank you guys.

Registered
That was a scummy thing of them to put on the wrong size. I'd stop the payment on the credit card and take the tires off. It's important to make crooked ***holes feel pain.

Registered
I would definetely change them! Those tires, 60 height, are for donut 15" wheels, like my wheels. Ok, you will get a softer ride, more Buick style, but as they are not recommended by the door jamb sticker, and the manual, that means they are not recommended.

Banned
Also why is your 540 not on staggered 17" 235/45 in the fronts and 255/40 in the rears? Did you change them out to 16" square setup?

Search, Read, THEN Ask
Also why is your 540 not on staggered 17" 235/45 in the fronts and 255/40 in the rears? Did you change them out to 16" square setup?
Not all 540s came with staggered setups. I had square 17s. Even went to 245/45/17 for a more softer ride with no issues.

Registered
Early 540s with an auto trans were fitted with the 16 in wheels. Early 6-speed cars had the choice of square or staggered. Mine are square, 17X8.

Additionally, sport suspension was standard on the 6-speed.

According to Joe's table, the speedo will be less optimistic, but the odo will be short by 3.3%.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, my 540 is factory fitted with the 16'' wheels all around.
So, according to this tire size calculator (https://tire-calc.com/#), the speedo will be off by exactly 3%. And the ride feels definitely softer, as if I have extra cushion.
Keep 'em.

Registered
Yes, my 540 is factory fitted with the 16'' wheels all around.
So, according to this tire size calculator (https://tire-calc.com/#), the speedo will be off by exactly 3%. And the ride feels definitely softer, as if I have extra cushion.
Keep 'em.

I鈥檓 sure they are fine, but I think I would still question the tire shop on why or how they used those specs. Not sure where you went, but all the chains punch in the car and the database returns the correct tires to use taking the guesswork out of it. I鈥檓 guessing this was a neighborhood gas station?

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
No, it is an independent indies tires and car repair/maintenance shop, nearby a bunch of car dealers in town. Their price was very reasonable.

Registered
No, it is an independent indies tires and car repair/maintenance shop, nearby a bunch of car dealers in town. Their price was very reasonable.

To each his own. I would at least want to be on record for warranty purposes. A tire fails within the warranty period and the manufacturer says well you had the wrong tires on the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
For reference moving forward, this is what the numbers mean:

P225/60-R16

225 = the width of the tire in millimeters. Your tire tread is 225 millimeters wide (approx 8.86 inches)
60 = the aspect ratio of the sidewall. Your sidewall height is approximately 60% of the tread width (0.6 x 225 = 135 millimeters = approx 5.32 inches)
16 = wheel size.

If you add all this up you get the diameter of the tire (5.32 + 5.32+16 = 26.64 inches), which is what Joe posted above. This way you can run the numbers yourself and not have to rely on a calculator.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
To each his own. I would at least want to be on record for warranty purposes. A tire fails within the warranty period and the manufacturer says well you had the wrong tires on the car.

Well Joe, not to beat this thing to death, but any reasonably good tire will NOT fail within its warranty period. Warranty contracts are written by lawyers, not mechanics or engineers..!!
BTW, the brand name is Nokian Entyre.

Wingnut
then why do we insist upon, and they offer and hopefully back up, warranties?

Registered
Well Joe, not to beat this thing to death, but any reasonably good tire will NOT fail within its warranty period. Warranty contracts are written by lawyers, not mechanics or engineers..!!

BTW, the brand name is Nokian Entyre.

All good and understood. Those are indeed some affordable tires. I guess for $80 bucks or less per tire it鈥檚 probably not worth letting them know they put the wrong size tires on your car. For that money if they work for you then enjoy and move on.

I鈥檓 getting new rubber on my staggered m-pars when I put them back on in the spring. It鈥檚 going to cost me a few more bucks. There aren鈥檛 any affordable options for my setup.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts