BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How worried should I be of these cars to rust?
Coming from the 2000 mercedes S500 W220 chassis it was a nightmare with all the rust so I'm really scared that my E65 is going to start corrode..
But I've never heard of any of these rust up not even the neglected ones left to the environment?

Where I live they just love to pour salt on the roads during the winter. So much that I decided to not drive it at all during winter but do I really need to worry?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Vibbelito

About two years ago I bought a 2001 E65 (which has been driving in Denmark since it was build) and there's no rust in it at all. There's some surface rust on the exhaust, but nothing that causes any trouble.
So generally I wouldn't worry about rust, but make sure to check the paint all around the car, to see if there are some scratches or chips that haven't been fixed in time.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Vibbelito

About two years ago I bought a 2001 E65 (which has been driving in Denmark since it was build) and there's no rust in it at all. There's some surface rust on the exhaust, but nothing that causes any trouble.
So generally I wouldn't worry about rust, but make sure to check the paint all around the car, to see if there are some scratches or chips that haven't been fixed in time.
Okay that's good to know. I have some ships in the paint which I might have to get looked at before it's to late then and also a larger one on a door. I also have a real ugly one on the front side next to the headlights from the previous owner but I think that's plastic so no need to worry about rust there

Sent from my SM-G955F using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
505 Posts
A few early ones i had in the past i seen some corrosion starting around the points that the brake pipe clamps and dynamic drive pipes hold onto becuase the pipes themselves are steel and corrode then follow onto the floor .and also around the plastic grommits in the floor pan area under the front seats as when ur drains get blcoked the water gathers here from ur soaked carpets .but generally id advise to keep all drain points clear and then remove all underbody protection plastics and give a good clean aswell as the front bumper as grime and dirt cant get out and rots the bottims of the air con c9ndensor and water rad

Sent from my SM-G390F using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did discover some corrosion today when reattaching my front idrive screen.

This is what I saw when looking to the right in the hole. So this is behind the passenger side airbag, CD changer and glove box.

And behind the instrument cluster.

Doesn't look to good does it.. although I'm probably not to worried about that as that is most likely thick steel and thus probably will only stay on the surface. I suppose one would have to disassemble the whole dashboard to be able to get to it. They probably never corrosion protected that part.

Then I have started to see some surface corrosion on the boot lid on the upper forward part where it makes contact with the window seal and have scraped off some paint so that will to have to be dealt with also.
Not to en get started on in the engine bay on lots of screews, all the magnesium, aluminum and all the exposed steel parts from sitting to long.

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

·
Wide boy
167 Posts
IMO thats nothing. Interior supports commonly aren***8217;t inhibited and will get a layer of surface rust, temp changes and humidity will result in condensation. I***8217;m surprised its as clean as it is, and doubt that would be a rust through problem for the life of the car.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
IMO thats nothing. Interior supports commonly aren***8217;t inhibited and will get a layer of surface rust, temp changes and humidity will result in condensation. I***8217;m surprised its as clean as it is, and doubt that would be a rust through problem for the life of the car.
Yeah I'm not to worried it will be a problem for maby 50 years as long as it doesn't spread to the chassis. And there's a good chance the car has been destroyed by something else by then or has been sold.

So for now I'm a little more worried about the paint problems on all the none aluminum or plastic parts of the body.

Edit: I found that "The hood and fenders are still made of aluminium." In the facelift version so not to worried about the paint falling off there.

·
It's better in a 7
91 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for posting this! Super interesting to read, didn't know it had so much more tensile strength compared to e38
Yeah it's really not much the E65 shares with the E38. I was actually surprised the E65 didn't use more aluminum in the bodyshell. Like the trunk lid and doors.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a tiny bit of rust on the driver's side rear door, on the inside of the door jamb, and on the inside lip of the trunk, Nothing serious though. I'm gonna sand it off and touch it up in the summer. We get a crazy amount of salt here as well, and rust is not an issue. There will be rust on the undercarriage, and on the seat rails too but from the salt on your shoes but nothing else that I can think of

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is the inner side of the boot lid.

Nothing to serious if taken care properly in time.
I'm just not to stoked at having to learn a whole new skillset (painting a car)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts