BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting conflicting info from a couple BMW body shops? What are the BMW authorized brands of paint? I'm having some M-5 Technic bumpers painted. What brand should I specify if I have a choice? One BMW body shop uses Sikkens and the other uses Standox. The one who uses Standox brand tells me Sikkens is not an authorized brand. Help. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paint

bren said:
Authorized for what? Glasurit is what BMW uses from the factory.
BMW factory authorized paints that BMW "authorized" collision shops use to repaint body parts. I'm told there are 3 brands that the factory uses.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,625 Posts
sidneyj said:
BMW factory authorized paints that BMW "authorized" collision shops use to repaint body parts. I'm told there are 3 brands that the factory uses.
My shop used Glasurit. Dunno what BMW 'authorizes.'

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Glasurit (BASF) is usually what's specified. But most recent Dingolfing cars use a new non-liquid DuPont product and process so in those cases it's really a non-issue in terms of trying to match the factory process.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Really it makes no difference what type of paint is used. All paints have to be mixes so if it is Glasurit, PPG... it will all look the same. The only thing that matters when painting bumpers is that you add Elastifier Additive to the paint so it will be able to flex like the bupers. I used to paint cars at a highend body shop in highschool. We used Glasurit paint on everything. One thing that I do remember is that when we painted mercedes we used a "Mercedes Black" as the base paint before we would add any tinting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts