Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i own a 2008 x5 4.8. Since the day i bought it, its been a nightmare. Leaky seals everywhere, front end bushings all went bad...

Ive gotten completely smoked on this thing money wise. I did not get an extended warranty. Its to the point that im going to bring it to an auction to sell it.

Anyway, this was my first foreign car, lesson learned. I researched after i bought it how unreliable the 08 4.8s were... i didnt do my research. Im thinking of buying a 2014-2016 with an aftermarket extended warranty like ally. From my current research the F15 seem to be more reliable but wanted to ask real owners.

1) Can you guys tell me if you've had mechanical issues with your x5?

2) Is anyone using an extended aftermarket warranty? From what ive read its about $4k for 3 years? So about 110/m... ive lost a lot more than that on part/service thats for sure.

Im trying to do the math also if it makes sense to just lease one because the warranty + depreciation + no warranty headaches are probably similar.

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,041 Posts
Do you want data on the V8 or the I6? The I6 is going to be way more reliable in the long run.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 6 cyl has 53,000 miles and has no issues and runs like a top.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Bmw makes the benchmark 6 pot, ever since they added two cylinders to its M10 four-cylinder design post WW II.
The same can't be said about their V8's. You want common sense, within the logically expected wear and tear type maintenance, get a 6 cyl. You want to tell stories about your trial and tribulations and how it smokes the unsuspecting racer at the traffic lights, get the V8.
I'm ready to take the wrath of the V8 fan base.

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,041 Posts
I've had 5 BMW's with an I6 and two with the V8. I don't drive a lot of miles, and the two V8's and one I6 were broken in on the Autobahn at 150 mph immediately without any babying period.

Problems with Autobahn I6: None
Problems with other I6's: HPFP, ignition coils, coolant consumption, and premature failure of water pump (at 15k miles).
Problems with V8's: None

Leasing is an expensive way to mitigate potential problems down the road. That said, I lease one of my BMW's and own the other one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Leasing is an expensive way to mitigate potential problems down the road. That said, I lease one of my BMW's and own the other one.
Is it even expensive though? Looking at a 2015 $32k+ reg with 30k miles on it... If i sell it in 3 years im lucky to get .. what? 20k? + aftermarket warranty for 4k for 3 years. From my experience its just rolling dice to drive these w/o a warranty.

So a 16k loss in 3 years. About $444/m loss. Ive been looking on swapalease trying to see what is realistic on a lease. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Currently i own N55 and N57 both I6. N57 has 90k while N55 45k. No issues other than few sensors on N57. If I would be you having nightmare experience with V8 stick with I6. If you like torque of V8 get N57 engine (diesel) you will love it especially at the pump (avg26-28 mpg). If you want power then roll the dice on N63TU V8.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife loves her 2015 35d: power, acceleration, security, Mpg(28-34), handling, and fun to drive. Best phrase I have seen here is, "drive it like you stole it." 38,000 miles and no problems.

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,041 Posts
The diesel EGR system can be problematic, resulting in catastrophic engine faliure. Some of the earlier turbo 4cy's have a plastic timing chain that fails prematurely and causes catastrophic engine failure. It just goes to show you that every model has it's quirks. I wonder what kind of discussions like this we'll be having in the future regarding electric drive-trains?

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,041 Posts
Is it even expensive though? Looking at a 2015 $32k+ reg with 30k miles on it... If i sell it in 3 years im lucky to get .. what? 20k? + aftermarket warranty for 4k for 3 years. From my experience its just rolling dice to drive these w/o a warranty.

So a 16k loss in 3 years. About $444/m loss. Ive been looking on swapalease trying to see what is realistic on a lease. Thanks for the info.

I hope you find a good lease deal. I've been seeing ~800/mo in my market for anything in the 5 series universe with a 6 cy.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My wife loves her 2015 35d: power, acceleration, security, Mpg(28-34), handling, and fun to drive. Best phrase I have seen here is, "drive it like you stole it." 38,000 miles and no problems.
What X5BIMMER65 said. The diesel's torque characteristics are addictive and the better fuel economy without having to drive it for fuel economy comes as a bonus.

I own a 2014 535dX (N57) with 119k miles and a 2012 X5 35d (M57) with only 210k miles and climbing. I drive around 1k miles per week on the highway between my 100 miles per day of commuting plus having a life outside of work. I am the only driver of my cars and I split the miles up between them. Both cars are driven frequently and are seldom used for short trips. Both cars have been very reliable. Zero EGR issues. The X5 35d still has the original DPF. My long highway commute and spirited driving might have something to do with it.

With my 1k miles per week of driving, gassers are not an option at all. Whatever cars I own and drive absolutely HAS to be diesel powered. If I were in the market for another X5, it would only be the 35d. I have never owned a gasoline BMW... and won't.

BMW not returning with diesel models simply means I won't be returning to BMW as a customer in the future. I am into my 535d and X5 35d for the long haul. After 17 years and over 900k miles of diesel car ownership, there is no way I'm going back to anything that runs on gasoline again if I can help it.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope you find a good lease deal. I've been seeing ~800/mo in my market for anything in the 5 series universe with a 6 cy.
Have you looked on swapalease? I see sub $600/month..... who knows if they are legit but ive had some friends who used it without issue. Also miles obviously can change the price drastically. I work from home so i can get by on 1k miles per month.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With my 1k miles per week of driving, gassers are not an option at all. Whatever cars I own and drive absolutely HAS to be diesel powered.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk
Wow yeah i do that in a month those are some serious miles. Thanks for the input.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts