BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of running opposite to the other thread - am I too young for a 'vert?

I am about to buy a new 3er. I was initially looking at the convertible - however my friend seems to be of the opinion (and to be honest, I kind of have that image too) that larger (as in 4-seater) convertibles are for older men (I'm male, in the upper 20s), and that I should get a Z4 instead (he had one of those - I currently own a roadster as well). Looking around, convertible (esp. premium-brand) drivers do seem on the older side, although it doesn't seem any more prevalent in larger ones than in roadsters, and could partly be explained by that age-group's earning power. I also got the impression that BMW 3s target a younger demographic (I'd say certainly younger than Mercedes'), does the convertible 3er share that image?

I also come from a place that almost doesn't have convertibles, so I'm a bit ignorant on the cultural views of convertibles... are they really stereotypically midlife-crisis cars, or is it more of a jokey stereotype (like the Boxster being a "chick-car", etc)? do people in general view 4-seater verts as any more midlifey than roadsters? I have a couple white hairs in my head, will people call me "sir" if they see me drive by in a 3er vert?

In that vein, if I don't get a vert my second option is a Sedan, which I also see as being targeted for people older than the coupe's demographic. So, which will make me look older, a Sedan or a Convertible? Will getting a convertible 1er instead of a 3er help anything in that respect?

·
Bo's ready for the Big 10
27,337 Posts
I think the stereotype does hold true. As you mentioned the price is more affordable to the older crowd. Also older people don't need a functional back seat. If you have ever fought the battle between a kid and their car seat on a 2 door vehilce you know what I mean. So older people whose kids are gone are in a better position financially and functionally to have a car like that.

·
Boosted Bavarian
1,272 Posts
I say get whatever pleases you.

As for what others think... :flipoff:

·
Trend Setter!
977 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Is the 3-series convertible a midlife crisis car?
Yes. Like any other convertible.

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,385 Posts
Is BoltJames in the House? He may be able to answer:bustingup

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
Only if you get it in bronze with leatherette and absolutely no options in it... :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
50 year old here driving a 2009 e93. It is NOT a midlife crisis car. It is the third convertible I have owned. Got my first one in college. Like a previous poster said it is mostly a reflection of income status and not giving a **** about having room for friends in the back seat.

·
I need a drink
2,076 Posts
I am 29 and have a 3 convert, I always have one convert in the stable. If you are a convert person then you have to have a convert, nothing else will do.

Who cares what other people think. F-them.

·
Brevity = soul of wit
2,161 Posts
To your question, no it doesn't necessarily identify with older crowds/ drivers.

But some advice if I may since you are looking at getting a car: you could get a used Porsche for the price of a new Convertible.
Do yourself a favor and pick-out a nice CPO-ed 911.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
To your question, no it doesn't necessarily identify with older crowds/ drivers.

But some advice if I may since you are looking at getting a car: you could get a used Porsche for the price of a new Convertible.
Do yourself a favor and pick-out a nice CPO-ed 911.
He is in his upper 20's. Meaning $3-4k per year in insurance easy for a 911. :eeps:

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
The Z4 is sweet, but a bit of a pain in the ass if you want to take a couple friends with you - I would consider the Z4 more of the midlife crisis car, kids are grown up and moved out and you and wife only need 2 seats! I don't use my backseat much, but wouldn't give it up yet anyway!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Yes. Like any other convertible.
I must have started having my midlife crisis at 25 then, because that's what I've driven since my first Miata.

OMG I'M GONNA DIE AT 50!

/thread is a stupid question. Most youngsters don't have the money for a BMW so more of the people that do are older.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
The Z4 is sweet, but a bit of a pain in the ass if you want to take a couple friends with you - I would consider the Z4 more of the midlife crisis car, kids are grown up and moved out and you and wife only need 2 seats! I don't use my backseat much, but wouldn't give it up yet anyway!
Ug, a Z4. I had one as a loaner, road like a buckboard. Most uncomfortable and worse driving BMW I have driven. It bounced up and down so bad I would not even call the handling good. Maybe on a perfectly flat road with no imperfections it might do better. :thumbdwn: I had to take it back to the dealer for another car. First time I ever went through the trouble of trading a loaner.

·
Officially a BMW Homer.
1,037 Posts
Corvettes are very well known as a midlife crisis car. A BMW/Mercedes probably represents your income more than it does your age. No way do I think a 3 series Convert falls into the category of a crisis car.

However, the power of a BMW badge over a Toyota/Honda badge is powerful enough to make some people think you're buying an expensive ride to compensate for your crisis. All stereotypical.

·
Ultimative fahrmaschine
1,314 Posts
Who's buying it? You? Then get something that YOU want. Life's too short (and cars too expensive) to be worried about what others think you should buy.

I got the E93 because it offers a little more functionality and allows me to get in without eating my knees.

·
Gentleman Extraordinaire
690 Posts
Corvettes are very well known as a midlife crisis car. A BMW/Mercedes probably represents your income more than it does your age. No way do I think a 3 series Convert falls into the category of a crisis car.

However, the power of a BMW badge over a Toyota/Honda badge is powerful enough to make some people think you're buying an expensive ride to compensate for your crisis. All stereotypical.
I agree. I'm 27 and love how the E92/E93 looks and drives so much that I would give it serious consideration if I was 37, 47 or 57.

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts

I am about to buy a new 3er. I was initially looking at the convertible - however my friend seems to be of the opinion (and to be honest, I kind of have that image too) that larger (as in 4-seater) convertibles are for older men (I'm male, in the upper 20s), and that I should get a Z4 instead (he had one of those - I currently own a roadster as well). Looking around, convertible (esp. premium-brand) drivers do seem on the older side, although it doesn't seem any more prevalent in larger ones than in roadsters, and could partly be explained by that age-group's earning power. I also got the impression that BMW 3s target a younger demographic (I'd say certainly younger than Mercedes'), does the convertible 3er share that image?
Are you sure your not an attent-*****? I mean really - upper 20's and your asking about midlife crises? If you are at midlife crises in upper 20's when are you planning on dying 35?

4 seater = more space for the girls (or boys if that's what you like)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts