BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
I need a drink
2,076 Posts
I must have started having my midlife crisis at 25 then, because that's what I've driven since my first Miata.

OMG I'M GONNA DIE AT 50!

/thread is a stupid question. Most youngsters don't have the money for a BMW so more of the people that do are older.
:rofl: I think I am going to die at 32 then!

·
Skjoni's Dad
1,733 Posts
Are you sure your not an attent-*****? I mean really - upper 20's and your asking about midlife crises? If you are at midlife crises in upper 20's when are you planning on dying 35?

4 seater = more space for the girls (or boys if that's what you like)
Made ya look! :p:rofl:

·
Brevity = soul of wit
2,161 Posts
He is in his upper 20's. Meaning $3-4k per year in insurance easy for a 911. :eeps:
I had my first 911 at 26, insured under my name in Manhattan and it was something like $1,500/ year with Allstate I think for a very good policy coverage.

He should check into it.

·
Outside looking in
6,325 Posts
The Boxster is not a chick car. A mercedes slk 230 kompressor is a chick car, as is a Lexus SC...

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts
I had my first 911 at 26, insured under my name in Manhattan and it was something like $1,500/ year with Allstate I think for a very good policy coverage.

He should check into it.
When was this? While I think 3-4k is kind of expensive, I am 32 have a 0 point/accident free/also insure my home/excellent credit/yadda/yadda record, I pay 1850/year for a 2006 330. I live in Philadelphia which is expensive, but you live in manhattan which I assume is also expensive. How did you pay 350 less, at a younger age (27 is a benchmark btw), on a two-seater sports car?

·
Brevity = soul of wit
2,161 Posts
A few years ago. Like you: I had/ have a prefect profile, several cars + home insured. I have always used Allstate and that's my recollection: about $1,500/ year (could have been a bit more than that but def. < $2,000) for $1,000 deductible on comprehensive and also $1,000 on collision.
I also had a 1999 328i Convertible back then and it cost only a few hundred dollars less than the P car to insure from what I remember.

Though I don't know Philly at all, that $1,850/ year for your BMW sounds high to me, unless you have 0 deductibles on all aspects of your policy + over $250K PIP.

I have a 2008 E92 335i coupe and it costs me $1,300/ year right now.

·
Don't worry, be happy
11,616 Posts

He should check into it.
At 35 yrs old, the insurance on my 911 was just a tad under $1,500 per year with State Farm, full coverage.

·
Brevity = soul of wit
2,161 Posts
See a 911 isn't that expensive. I had gotten mine new back then but if I were looking at spending $60K on something new right now, I'd def. look at a CPO-ed P car.

It is so worthwhile. BMW are driving machine and so on but they are not without their handling/ braking shortcomings and there is no comparaison, a 911 is a life-changing experience. Hell you could even get a 911 (996) Turbo for that type of money.

Just an idea....

·
Don't worry, be happy
11,616 Posts
See a 911 isn't that expensive. I had gotten mine new back then but if I were looking at spending $60K on something new right now, I'd def. look at a CPO-ed P car.

It is so worthwhile. Hell you could even get a 996 Turbo for that type of money.

Just an idea....
+1 Well said...

·
Registered
865 Posts
I must have started having my midlife crisis at 25 then, because that's what I've driven since my first Miata.

OMG I'M GONNA DIE AT 50!

/thread is a stupid question. Most youngsters don't have the money for a BMW so more of the people that do are older.
To each his own - some just feel like they need that extra attention they think they are getting when driving/owning a convertible. That's my opinion and you are not going to change it, so no point arguing..

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
its gonna be repeated but who cares what other people think.

in my view, this isn't a midlife crisis car. You can buy a red mustang or a 911, fack, anything when new and flashy when you are in 40s - and it can be your midlife crisis car. Buy a biege Volvo and you will avoid the 'stigma'. So just relax, get the 3 vert if you like it. It's a ncie car.

I'd still go for Z4 though. :) old or new.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
agree with the above, get what you want! I'll be 35 this summer and love my e93 vert! I chose it because I wanted a 4 seater (enough to put a baby seat in the back), sporty, fun to drive, and not feel cramped (I'm 6' 1"). I feel very comfortable -- interior does not feel cramped at all, and I can get the wife in the passenger seat with the kid in the back! trunk space is a bit small, but to be expected for a hardtop convertible. wife did ask if I was having a midlife crisis though . . . . anyone have an application for AARP? I might need it sooner than I think!

·
Registered
960 Posts
To each his own - some just feel like they need that extra attention they think they are getting when driving/owning a convertible. That's my opinion and you are not going to change it, so no point arguing..
The hell? I buy convertibles because I live in farking San Diego. We have like 10 months of vert weather a year, and I love cruising with the top down. With the fewer people around the better.

And believe me, 3ers don't stand out at ALL in SoCal. I was at a stoplight with 4 of them the other day.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
The hell? I buy convertibles because I live in farking San Diego. We have like 10 months of vert weather a year, and I love cruising with the top down. With the fewer people around the better.

And believe me, 3ers don't stand out at ALL in SoCal. I was at a stoplight with 4 of them the other day.
A year or two ago 3 series leases were as much as a Honda Accord thereby diluting the car into common transportation.

Those days arer gone as most leases went to folks stretching credit to the limits.

·
Registered
865 Posts

We are not talking about a particular climate zone or area; you would never need snow tires, either - but all this is area/climate specific. I have been to places where you wouldn't see a single import car (or a convertible, on that token). All not that far from D.C. area. No, wait... there were convertible Vettes there! Back to square one! :D

·
New Mommy to Kristopher
667 Posts
This thread has me in stitches! First time poster but I couldn't help myself. A mid-life crisis car...I kinda like that.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2009 328i convertible fully loaded with options. It's my first BMW. I'm 36, single (no sugar daddy here!) and Mom to a wonderful 10 year old boy who is already asking to drive it when he gets a license!

And yes, it rains an awful lot in Seattle...but when we get a hot stretch, like we are having now, the convertible is the ONLY way to go.

I'm more than happy to give you boys - and any men having a mid-life crisis - a ride! Thanks for all the great posts!

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
My first car, at age 18 was a vert. Now, many years later, I am driving a wagon. Guess I have been having a very long mid-life crisis. :dunno:

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,826 Posts
Life is one big crisis. Buy what you want!
+1!!!!

However, I will say yes, the 1er definitely appeals to a younger crowd. If you're driving a roadster now the 1er might be a good fit for you. You still get a 'vert and it's a little more useful than a roadster. Plus it has a rag top and you won't have to worry about trouble with the three piece hardtop down the road. If you're not too tall and you're friends aren't too tall they will fit in the rear seat for trips around town and maybe even a short road trip.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts