BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm flipping my 2007 328 ix coupe for a 2011 CPO 328i xdrive coupe and wanted to get some advise as to whether or not to buy the extra 1yr warranty on top of the 2yr I already get. I know the 2007 had a bunch of kinks as I've been in the shop quite a bit over the past 12 month, which is why I'm getting the 2011. But I read that the 2011 has most of the kinks worked out. As it stands, I'll have the 2 yrs since it is CPO and totally on the fence on buying the 3rd yr.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Gum

·
Registered
14 Posts
you should have until it gets to 50,000 miles to decide whether to purchase it or not. In the mean time the CPO should take it to the 6 year/100k mark

I am in a similar boat, I just bought a used 2011 rwd E91 that I knew had CPO

Unfortunately this was CPO'd in December 2014 and all cars that entered the CPO program AFTER January x, 2014 DO NOT transfer the CPO coverage to the new owner.

My option right now is BMW's "ESC" at $1905, it will take the car to 7 years and 100k miles but the coverage isn't as broad as the CPO ...

(above in the US anyway)

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would look somewhere else other than Bmw for the extended warranty. Just got a 48,000 mile 4 year extended warranty on my 2011 335is for 2300.00 bucks. Bumper to bumper, no deductible . Bmw wanted 2300.00 for two years , drivetrain only warranty: 2 years / 24,000 miles/$100.00 deductible. When they found out I was looking elsewhere for the warranty , they came up with a similar warranty and price. I bought mine through my credit union. My car had 58,000 miles on it when I got the warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. The biz manager said that I have to purchase the warranty before I take delivery, so i don't have that option to delay the decision (I'm in Canada but would think BMW operates more of less the same all of North America). Forgot to mention the car only has 29km (approx 18K miles), which i think pretty good for a 4yr old car.

·
Registered
790 Posts
That's low mileage. I had a 2010 338i convertible 63,000 miles and had no issues except regular maintenance. Plugs and belt pulley at 60,000 miles. I did buy an extra year of warranty through the dealer on that car for peace of mind. I paid about what they quoted you above. My son wrecked that car a few months ago, it saved his life, no injuries, but it was totaled. Anyway, replaced with my 335is convertible , 2011. When I financed the car, my credit union brought up the extended warranty and I'm glad they did. I was looking at getting one at the dealer again, but the price and coverage difference made my mind up . Just keep in mind , you need to change your oil every year, not just what your computer in your car sais. If you read Bmw recommendations on service it says one year or whatever the mileage is supposed to be. I don't drive 15000 miles a year anyway and I like changing my oil more regularly that that anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would look somewhere else other than Bmw for the extended warranty. Just got a 48,000 mile 4 year extended warranty on my 2011 335is for 2300.00 bucks. Bumper to bumper, no deductible . Bmw wanted 2300.00 for two years , drivetrain only warranty: 2 years / 24,000 miles/$100.00 deductible. When they found out I was looking elsewhere for the warranty , they came up with a similar warranty and price. I bought mine through my credit union. My car had 58,000 miles on it when I got the warranty.
Would you mind sharing this warranty company's info? Name? thanks!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Interstate , assure guard, ultimate guard coverage :
Like I said , I bought mine at my credit union. I have no idea how they sell the coverage, to private buyer or not .
Interstate nation dealer services
6120 powers ferry Rd nw, suite 200
Atlanta Georgia , 30339
1-877-831-3077
Www.inds.cin

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Things you really need to think about in pursuing this question....

1. What is the quote for one year of additional warranty length?
  2. How many miles do you currently have on the car, had how many more miles will be added to the car during the warranty extension period?
  3. What kind of failures are anticipated to be likely to accur during the covered perdiod, and how much would those cost, if they failed and you did not have an extended warranty?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts