BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the HK stereo not worth all the potential hassle? there seems to be so many problems with it- is the stock system all that bad? from what I could hear the HK was a little bit better but maybe it's just not worth it..
 

·
AWD rocks
Joined
·
426 Posts
my opinion...

it's not worth it if u like to feel and hear SOLID tight bass (this requires aftermarket upgardes which will run slightly more the HK price). if u want loudness w/ a little bass, go for the HK.

actually, u should listen to it at a dealership.
 

·
Raoul Duke
Joined
·
12,582 Posts
kelli67 said:
is the HK stereo not worth all the potential hassle? there seems to be so many problems with it- is the stock system all that bad? from what I could hear the HK was a little bit better but maybe it's just not worth it..
Hassle? I haven't had one problem. The HK system is not too shabby and is worth the $$. I think the real hassle would be doing a custom installation to achieve better quality.
 

·
Oh yeah, she's my baby...
Joined
·
6,629 Posts
I think the HK is pretty good, aside from the piss poor AM reception. I'm sure that is more a result from the anteana than the unit itself. It's plenty loud and doesn't sound too bad.
 

·
Adolescent On-Call
Joined
·
3,262 Posts
Get the HK

Unless you want ghetto style bass. Then, you'll need something else.

For just "loud, clear, hurts-your-ears, rock / pop / whatever" the HK is splendid. Try Billy Squier or Ozzy and turn it up 'til your ears can't take any more. It's SWEET! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
I haven't had any hassles with the HK at all. As for bass...it has all you should ever need unless you like to be thumping around your neighborhood. Frankly, for a strict audiophile it may be slightly too much bass as it is imo.

Eric
 

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
eboller said:
I haven't had any hassles with the HK at all. As for bass...it has all you should ever need unless you like to be thumping around your neighborhood. Frankly, for a strict audiophile it may be slightly too much bass as it is imo.

Eric
Especially for back-seat passengers.

Sometimes my friends complain, then I turn around and pimp slap the hell out of them. :bigpimp:
 

·
Oh yeah, she's my baby...
Joined
·
6,629 Posts
Re: Get the HK

machmeter said:
Unless you want ghetto style bass. Then, you'll need something else.

For just "loud, clear, hurts-your-ears, rock / pop / whatever" the HK is splendid. Try Billy Squier or Ozzy and turn it up 'til your ears can't take any more. It's SWEET! :D
werd up, especially Ozzy :thumbup:
 

·
Now with Nano
Joined
·
1,310 Posts
for the record, I'm a long time audiophile myself and have had equiptment such as McIntosh electronics with Dynaudio speakers in sealed enclosures in vehicles. present home theater system cost more than my subaru but less than the bimmer. the HK system is a good one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,836 Posts
Unless you plan to install an aftermarket stereo, get the HK.
 

·
Now with Nano
Joined
·
1,310 Posts
ObD said:
Unless you plan to install an aftermarket stereo, get the HK.
I don't know if I'd quite agree. there may be folks out there who are satisfied with the H/K apart from the bass. aftermarket subs can easily be added to this system. the crossed over signal can be tapped into under the decklid where the original sub amp is.
 

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
For a factory system, the HK is actually pretty decent. I don't know how the coupe compares to the sedan I listened to as the sub setups are different.

OTOH I think the wagon HK is a rip, as it doesn't have a sub at all.

6.5" aftermarket 'subs' I put in back aren't working out. These things I have seem to need a real enclosure which the body cavity can't provide. I'm gonna attempt to build a tiny sonotube sub recycling an old Solobaric from my old car and put it in the center of the spare tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,836 Posts
31st330i said:
I don't know if I'd quite agree. there may be folks out there who are satisfied with the H/K apart from the bass. aftermarket subs can easily be added to this system. the crossed over signal can be tapped into under the decklid where the original sub amp is.
Stereo as in system. Head unit, speakers, amps. AKA An Ack upgrade. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
Here's an observation...

Many people seem to complain that the bass isn't strong enough for them on the HK system.

Many people seem to complain of the rattles in a car.

The more bass, and the stronger the "thump", the more likely you are to loosen up the car and cause rattles. Trust me, I know this from installing $3000+ in aftermarket on my Passat. And I only have a single 10" sub!

I'm looking forward to getting my 330i which comes standard with the HK. I'll have in-dash CD, clean sound, and some other perks without having to cut into my car at all. If the HK bass doesn't quite rattle the windows, then that's fine. I'm sure the act of driving will loosen the car up and cause rattles well enough without it.
 

·
Now with Nano
Joined
·
1,310 Posts
DougDogs said:
If I need to listen to clean, decent music, I listen to one of my systems at home. Maybe I'm just one of the few who believe that a car is a means of transportation, and home theater and sound reinforcement belong in the home:dunno:
I tend to agree with you but perhaps you've never had a long commute where a really nice stereo system makes a difference (specifically that it sounds so good that you are drawn into the music - a lot of this has to do with the quality of the *recording*as well). the most expensive stereo I ever had in a car was ~$5K and I had it at the same time that I had my longest commute.

the other thing I touched on and that most peopledon't take into consideration is the quality of recorded material. on a good system, mediocre recordings (most of what you buy) don't sound much better, in fact they often sound worse. similarly, a good recording I have found will sound good on almost any system.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top