BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good news for Diesel owners?

As our cars age, and expensive compoents fail, I wonder if BMW will be likely to cover these issues either through goodwill or explicoty parts warranty extensions.

As you may know, when carb and epa certify a car, they rely on the mfg to provide them with predicted parts failures. Regulators have the ability to take actions...if the stated failure rates and actual rates diverge drmatically. (Arguably this can be due to manipulation or just bad engineering guesswork- back in the days, this was rarely an issue, but regulators had a modicum of trust in thse companies and the documents they submit)

Does the increase scrutiny impact how BMW behaves both going forward AND towards current owners? Will BMW bend over backwards so as not to create political or regulatory exposure?

I also wonder what the 2017 diesel warranty doument parts list will look like....

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think the jury is still out on that one. I tend to doubt they will be more accommodating than a typical owner with a gasser. They could as easily decide to ignore diesel and its owners as much as possible.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,689 Posts
[ ... ]Does the increase scrutiny impact how BMW behaves both going forward AND towards current owners? Will BMW bend over backwards so as not to create political or regulatory exposure? [ ... ]
It is my hope and prayer that BMW protects the value of their vehicles. If they cut off the diesels/owners, they become a drug on the market.

It is only by coincidence that I sold my VW TDI. Had I a crystal ball, I would have kept it. Milady Wife and I discussed the effect of two cars on our finances and lifestyle - one long since paid off and restored and in good working order and reliable. Just not very large - for safety.

·
Banned
1,988 Posts
No. BMW will sometimes make goodwill repairs for items out of warranty but not far out of warranty. Think max 70k miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts