BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some work on the underside of my 540 and while there a examined the steering linkage. I plan on replacing the steering link and the idler arm during the summer and I wanted to get a closer look. I know that the idler arm has a bushing that goes bad but I didn’t see any thing wearable on the pitman arm. Would it be necessary to replace it?

Owning a BMW is always interesting

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew someone was going to say that. I even said that myself when I looked at it but I just wanted clarification, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
449 Posts
I had to replace the pitman arm on my 540i a couple months ago. I made a thread about it and the reason why.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yea, it was pretty easy. When it's off, it is really easy to check play with the ball joints on the center link.
I think the wear I had was unusual and it was definitely difficult to find. If I didn't explain it very well on this site, I have more details on the "other" forum.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only thing that worried me about replacing the pitman arm was when I was reading the Bentley manual. It said it had to be at a specific height or something like that. How did you fare out?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
I replaced mine preventively at around 140k miles, along with the other steering linkage parts . But examining it recently at 295k miles, it all looks fine. I asked the shop that does most of my work and they said they only replace the bushing, that the arm rarely requires replacing.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced mine preventively at around 140k miles, along with the other steering linkage parts . But examining it recently at 295k miles, it all looks fine. I asked the shop that does most of my work and they said they only replace the bushing, that the arm rarely requires replacing.

Are you talking about the idler arm or the pitman arm because unless I’m wrong, I don’t think the pitman arm has a bushing

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Are you talking about the idler arm or the pitman arm because unless I’m wrong, I don’t think the pitman arm has a bushing

Good catch! My mistake, I was speaking of the idler arm!

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts